GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i recently replaced bank 1 and 2 catalytic converter and O2 sensors on my 2009 SLE. After installation i reset the codes and after driving 200 miles the engine light pops up again and is showing code for bank 1. The cats are brand new from premier exhaust of canada. Seems like a reputable company. Are the cats defective or do i just keep driving it some more?
Has anybody tried premier exhaust?

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
I've read many comments from others about problems with bad aftermarket converters - not just here, either. Hopefully, that is not the situation with work you have already done.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
124 Posts
Hi, i recently replaced bank 1 and 2 catalytic converter and O2 sensors on my 2009 SLE. After installation i reset the codes and after driving 200 miles the engine light pops up again and is showing code for bank 1. The cats are brand new from premier exhaust of canada. Seems like a reputable company. Are the cats defective or do i just keep driving it some more?
Has anybody tried premier exhaust?
Have you tried the PCV Valve. I had the same problem on a pick up of mine. They recommended 2 things..... to replace the PCV Valve and to disconnect the battery for atleast 30 mins so the computer can reset. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried the PCV Valve. I had the same problem on a pick up of mine. They recommended 2 things..... to replace the PCV Valve and to disconnect the battery for atleast 30 mins so the computer can reset. Hope that helps.
Ok i will try that

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm assuming you replaced the sensors downstream of the cats?
Never heard of that brand, and I've also known cheaper cats to not work properly, particularly on newer vehicles. Doesn't mean it is the cats though...

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Instead of throwing parts at the vehicle, find someone with diagnostic tools/skills to see if there's some problem upstream from the converters.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Instead of throwing parts at the vehicle, find someone with diagnostic tools/skills to see if there's some problem upstream from the converters.
There's no room for common sense Speleos. Too many would rather spend money on parts based on internet speculation instead of spending a couple of bucks on diagnostic time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check the entire intake system for leaks starting at the air filter box. Has the MAF, O2 sensors been checked also? Any other DT Cs?
There are many steps to go through to diagnose a cat before replacing it, and it is usually not the culprit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check the entire intake system for leaks starting at the air filter box. Has the MAF, O2 sensors been checked also? Any other DT Cs?
There are many steps to go through to diagnose a cat before replacing it, and it is usually not the culprit

I completely concur! There are a lot of easy to check, usually the culprit items that one can go through without spending a fortune or a lot of time for that matter and diagnose the problem. The internet is actually a goldmine of information form reputable companies offering assistance in this sort of thing. There is a lot of money to be saved before rushing off to the local shop or throwing a lot of unnecessary parts at it. If you are posting here, which you are, then you most likely enjoy working on cars, DIY projects or would just like to try and save some cash (who doesn’t) so keep researching and we will try to offer any assistance we can. Keep us posted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the response. So far i have replaced the 3 O2 sensors and bank1 and bank2 CAT. Should i just go ahead and replace the MAF sensor? Will that help me clear the code

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for the response. So far i have replaced the 3 O2 sensors and bank1 and bank2 CAT. Should i just go ahead and replace the MAF sensor? Will that help me clear the code
Probably not, you need and test to diagnose instead of throwing darts at the wall and hoping something sticks, otherwise you’re just wasting time and money

·
Registered
124 Posts
MAF Sensor is usually pretty expensive. I would clean it but you can only use special MAF cleaner to do so. Which code are you pulling exactly? You may very well just be better off going to a garage to have it checked. Having crossed all the usual suspects off the list all that’s left to do is randomly replace things and hope.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
.... So far i have replaced the 3 O2 sensors and bank1 and bank2 CAT. ...
Did you forget one sensor? Each converter should have an upstream and downstream sensor - for a total of 4.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did you forget one sensor? Each converter should have an upstream and downstream sensor - for a total of 4.
Strangely enough I could only find a total of 3. 1 up stream and 2 downstream. I believe this was also the case on my V6 Ford Ranger.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
Strangely enough I could only find a total of 3. 1 up stream and 2 downstream. I believe this was also the case on my V6 Ford Ranger.
Both the Ford and your Acadia's engines should be configured like this:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Both the Ford and your Acadia's engines should be configured like this:
View attachment 9747
Why can't I click/enlarge some photos lately... hmm (edit, even more strange, I can get a FS view in my post!?).
Anyway, that's the only way that makes sense to me for any V engine. One sensor after each exhaust manifold/port to check fuel/air mixture etc., one on each bank after cat to ensure cats are operating properly. The 2009 only had a V6, yes?

·
Registered
124 Posts
2 upstream and 1 downstream.....may have had it backwards earlier. The 4 would be on a true dual exhaust as the diagram shows....(dual exhaust only)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts