GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just bought a 08 Acadia with Nav and 6 disc. It has the 2 sunroofs. I recently purchased the rear flip down OEM dvd monitor for the back. When I install this will there be wiring up in the roof of the vehicle or am I going to have to install some type of wiring harness to this unit?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Installation of OEM DVD monitor in 2008 Acadia.

Good luck with that one! I bought an 07, with NO DVD. I purchased an OEM head unit, and an aftermarket monitor, connected the monitor to the OEM head unit, and the sound would not work fully. The wiring is not there, at least not on mine. The NON-FACTORY DVD systems do not have the needed 5.1 AMP, so you have to use FM modulator.

Hope this is informational.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: Installation of OEM DVD monitor in 2008 Acadia.

Welcome to the forum.

While I'm not sure if this question has ever been addressed, I do recall a member adding an aftermarket unit where the OEM would normally go. See this thread. If you PM the member (dmann33) that added it, they can provide some more info.

From the posts I read there, the factory wiring is not present for this unit. I suspect it would be more cost effective to sell what you have and buy the unit dmann33 used or something similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knows how to install a factory overhead monitor. I recently purchased one & there were no instructions. I also recently purchased a factory cd/dvd head unit (as I currently have the 6 disc cd changer). I have the dual sunroofs & not sure what wires and/or plugs are needed and where/how to run the wires. Thank you in advance for your ideas/inputs.

Moderator edit
Thread made into a sticky and title updated.[/color]

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Re: How to install a factory overhead monitor?

Try and search for it here; I think someone has done this already; let us know how things go

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I have tried to search thru all the info on here (there's alot :)), but the only thing I can find is on aftermarket overhead dvd players. I will continue my search & update if I find out anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installing used Stereo w/DVD and video screen

I see that used stereos with the DVD audio and video screens from wrecked Traverses/Acadias do become available sometimes. Can I pull my original non-DVD radio and install the DVD version? Can I install the video screen? If I cut the headliner will I find wires to plug the video screen into and mounts to mount the unit? If either answers are NO then what will it take to install this equipment? Thanks

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Re: Installing used Stereo w/DVD and video screen

One stereo I looked at was VIN Locked and they wouldn't provide a donor VIN number.... sounded too got for the price so I bet it was stolen. Just make sure the radio is VIN unlocked or they are a legit company and provide the donor VIN on the paperwork so that a dealer can unlock it. I know you can install a NAV radio no problem, I don't know about the wires.

BTW, the headunits have different backlighting colors amongst the different models. It might not matter to you though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Installing used Stereo w/DVD and video screen

MedicRX Doctor,

Thanks for the info. I do know I need the donor vehicle VIN number for any radio that I buy. Based on your comments, it does sound like replacing the AM/FM?CD with an AM/FM/CD/DVD audio unit is a plug and play other than the VIN unlocking. It does sound like the big remaining question is if there is any wiring to get power and video signals from the head unit in the dash to the video screen overhead.

If anyone else can elaborate or supply more info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts

4ofakind,

Have you had any luck yet! I really want to do the same thing you are trying to do.

If you cannot get any info from anyone then I think it may be worth pulling the factory head unit to see if the plugs for the DVD unit are back ther somewheres. If they are then it would be worth carefully pulling the dome light assy. and looking around for a video wire harness at hat end as well. If nothing is found then you would need to but some wirring harness to start with.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

In this section (the proper one for the issue BTW, they all end up here eventually), we have sticky threads for every DVD option except the factory overhead unit. I'd figure based on that the modification has not been attempted by anyone here.

This means you get to be the guinea pig! We ask that when one undertakes such an endeavor that they take reasonable quality photos and provide information so that another member can do so. It's helpful to list what parts, supplies, and tools are needed.

I'll sticky this post in the event anyone has already done it & wants to contribute or if it was done a long time ago & we haven't found it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
670hoth,

No I have not had any luck yet. I did pull off the dome lights & there are no wires or wiring harness anywhere up there. Also the hole is too small so it looks as though it will have to be cut in order to fit the factory monitor. My next step (I guess) is to find the entire wiring harness for the monitor so I can run the wires to the head unit.

Thanks for the help. I will keep you informed if I find any new info :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It almost seems like you are wanting to "reinvent the wheel" by doing this with the factory unit. Are there great cost savings considering the dmann33 aftermarket unit (Pyle 9" PLRD92) was around $190 and a fairly easy install, or does the factory unit do something the aftermarket one does not? I don't understand the reasoning behind this since it appears to be an expensive and difficult undertaking when you are considering adding a factory wiring harness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
See also this wonderful write up on wiring it. I used the pink wire from the bundle in the passenger side kickpanel and the constant 12v power from the existing domelight. I am getting a dead battery. So, I may try the suggestion in the below link next. Good thing I put a fuses in each of these wires that I can reach through the overhead headliner.

If anyone else gets a chance to try the below link, please let me know how it works for you.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=6844.0;topicseen

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Mods

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it as simple as removing the second row overhead interior light and bolting the unit in using the power source originally supplying the removed overhead lights? If so, what is the trick to removing the lights? Thanks for any help. I've read some of the posts, but they never discuss how to get that hole in your headliner. I just assume its from the lights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
well, yes and no. You can pop the overhead light fixture out by pressing a flat screwdriver or even better a putty knife and releasing the clips. Put it between the headliner and the fixture about an inch and a half to two inches from the outside edge of each side. There are some brass tension clips. Then, slowly and carefully pull the unit down from the ceiling. There are two clips attached to the fixture that are squeezed into the ceiling. One of mine broke. No big deal, you won't use them and can replace them later.

Then, there is a matter of connecting the wires. I am still trying to figure out which wires to use. I used the one hot wire from the dome light power as my constant 12v power, but I think that is the one that keeps killing my battery. Then, I had to run a accessory wire to the front "pink" wire under the passenger side kick panel, where I tapped in. I thought this was the one killing my battery, but I now think it was the constant power wire used from the original dome light. I now ran that directly to the battery, but haven't plugged the unit back in to test it.

If you have the money, just buy the LockPick. It's not worth killing your battery and being stranded with your family. I've already killed my batter like 3 or 4 times. Luckily I was at home.
http://www.coastaletech.com/GMLOCKPICK.htm

Here is the accessory wire thread.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=6844.0

Please post on what you end up doing. I'd like to know what works for you.

Oh, do some searching on the forums here on how to mount your overhead dvd player. I think I am going to remount mine with a few strips of wood to the ceiling frame (there is plenty of safe room), the mount the unit to that. Previously, I had it attached and clamped onto the headliner. Something with that setup rattle and drove me crazy. I took the whole unit off to run the wires last month and haven't remounted it yet with new wiring. Good luck.

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

bad news, there is no wire run for the overhead screen and if you have cd radio you need to update it to dvd unit + run the wire to the roof, if you go with aftermarket radio you need add. harness and its not possible to play dvd and listen to the radio at the same time like in factory unit ....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Instead of using the FM Modulator on mine (which sounds like crap) I got the adaptor from PIE that runs to the XM receiver. That way I keep everything stock including the XM and the sound is crystal clear. PIE also has the adaptors for non-XM which connects at the head unit. Again direct RCA audio sounds MUCH better. My only word of caution is don't run the wires under the curtain airbags because this will keep the airbag from coming down properly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts