GMC Acadia Forum banner

301 - 320 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
BJT, where did you get that quote from? i might want to give them a call. how many miles do you have? i know prices take into account miles i think since they ask for miles? or is that just to verify you are within the factory warranty? for 60/40,000 i was quoted 1610 for 0 deduct and 1410 for 100 deduct. so your prices are cheaper. and this was for the NEW GMEPP platinum plan. not the old GMPP?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have only 20k miles on my 2011. Only drive it about 7k miles per year. My quote was from Jack Black Cadillac in Penn. It was for a GMEPP warranty. Didn't check the GMPP price. I'm going for it . My local dealer sells Securenet and their price was over $1800 for the same plane. BJT

·
Registered
11 Posts
cool. thanks. mine was also through black cadillac but i have quite a bit more miles. haha i have a 2012 and almost at 35,000. we bought it used with slightly higher miles than i would have liked and we drive from VA to NC quite often.

I'm still trying to decide if its still safe to go with GMPP. with GMPP i could get an extra 15K miles for the same price pretty much as the new GMEPP. 60/60 for GMEPP and 60/75 for older GMPP. I've talked to a few service managers and they say they have no issues right now with the GMPP, but honestly, many don't sound like there is even a new plan (GMEPP) out there and GMPP isn't 100% GM anymore. just don't want to make the wrong decision and I'm horrible when it comes to making decisions. just knowing GMEPP is 100% GM is great, but extra miles is great too due to the driving me do!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just purchased a GMEPP extended warranty from Black Cadillac 5 year 40k miles. I called GM direct and spoke with an agent who said they are only selling this plan . It comes in either a Platinum or Silver and that they are not selling the old GMPP plan owned by Ally . The call the plan the Cadillac, Buick, Chevy, GMC plan or something with those names. It is now excepted at all GM dealer services. The agent I talked to is employed by GM.
BJT

·
Registered
11 Posts
good deal. I'm still on the fence on if i should get one or not. my wife wants to chance it and not. I'm not too sure i want to risk it with this vehicle having soo many bells and whistles.

I'm just still stuck on why would the GMPP still not be a decent warranty? many dealers do not even sell this new one that Black nicknamed GMEPP and still selling GMPP. half the service managers you talk to still think GMPP is the "main" one and recommend it. many people who bought vehicles this year, last year and even years prior have the GMPP and will still be "valid" for the next few years, so its not like they can refuse service? can they? right now im looking at either 60/60,000 GMEPP or for the same price GMPP for 60/75,000. so basically another 15,000 miles for the same price. and the way we drive, we will hit miles before time, so the extra 15,000 is appealing.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I went through the same pondering several months ago when I bought my 2011. I spoke with folks at Black Cadillac and a dealer somewhere in the midwest. GMEPP has only been out since the end of last year and not all dealers are up to speed on it.

I was pretty much told the same thing by both dealers. The GMEPP is vehicle/mileage specific. Both dealers needed my vin# and mileage to quote me a price on the GMEPP. I do not know about the GMPP but to get the GMEPP your vehicle needs to be still under factory warranty. Both dealers quoted me the same price but neither could actually sell it to me without proof of the mileage on the vehicle.

I ended up buying the GMEPP. A big reason was because I live in Maryland and due to the nature of the GMPP plan, out of state discount dealers could not sell me the GMPP plan. Maryland dealers know this and aren't keen on discounting the GMPP plan.

·
Registered
11 Posts
interesting. thanks for the info. I know i was reading that some states won't allow it to be sold over the phone or whatever. like florida. guess MD is one too? i am in VA. I am still right within my factory warranty, hence why i need to make this decision very quickly. only about another 1000 miles to go hitting 36,000.

for anyone reading this: do you have the GMPP plan? how has service been getting things fixed under warranty thru the dealer? any concerns with it not being owned by GM, but by Ally? do you think in the next year or so when the computer thing they talked about and ally not being able to use the warranty system in the computers with GM there will be problems? or do you feel you will still get the same level of service as you did originally?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't think anyone can say with certainty how GMPP will be treated in the future, but once they are disconnected from the GM systems, I can see a couple of minor issues.

1 - They won't be able to as accurately price the plan, not having GM's data on on services for planning/pricing
2 - Your dealer won't know you have it, so you'll have to provide the warranty information/paperwork to them. Right now, it is in their computers so it is a seamless process to the customer, not much different than regular warranty work.
3 - AS GM dealers become another "independent shop" for GMPP, it will likely be up to the dealer on how they want to work with them. As with most extended plans, some shops work directly with the warranty company for payment, and others require you to pay the shop and get reimbursed. As GM dealers have sold these and work with them, I wouldn't anticipate them suddenly making it hard on the customer to use -- they'll get a lot of bad surveys and unhappy customers -- and don't think it would be an issue, but in laying at all the possible problems, note that there is a slim possibility you'll have to pay and be reimbursed, just like non GM dealers you can go to with the GMPP today.

I've used the GMPP in the past with no issues, and expect that to continue. All things being equal, I would probably by the GMEPP today, but if there was a significant price or coverage difference, I would go with GMPP without concern. Note that there are some small differences in coverage as well, although I haven't seen anything that would come into play for the Acadia (although I haven't compared in detail side by side). There are some more important changes for the GM cars with the magnetic shocks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use to pass on extended warranties. But when I got my 2014 the other night had it added. So instead of 36 months bumper to bumper I have 72 months. A $100 deductible kicks in once the factory 36 months expires. These extended warranties are good for all the electronics. I also went ahead and got the tire protection warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone out there has USAA auto Insurance, you can get a 100,000 mile Manufacturers wrap for 7 years that covers just
about everything that GM will not cover and it has $0 deductible. My cost for a brand new 2012 Acadia was $985 . The dealer wanted almost $3000.
Costco also has one if anyone is a Costco member

·
Registered
1 Posts
pepaw said:
If anyone out there has USAA auto Insurance, you can get a 100,000 mile Manufacturers wrap for 7 years that covers just
about everything that GM will not cover and it has $0 deductible. My cost for a brand new 2012 Acadia was $985 . The dealer wanted almost $3000.
Costco also has one if anyone is a Costco member
I just bought this one today for my 2012 Acadia. I did tons of research and settled on the USAA offering which is actually underwritten by Assurant. They've been supplying extended warranty products for 20 years. It's a 4 year/100,000 mile and cost me $1491. The car has so much on it I was afraid not to buy a warranty and this seemed to be the most comprehensive from a reputable company. Time will tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 Acadia with 53k on it. I purchased it from a used car lot last September. What are the chances of me finding some sort of extended warranty?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The odds are good...just too late for the GM factory backed warranty. Check with your car insurance agent or if you belong to a credit union check with them....lots of options.

·
Registered
10 Posts
divotdug said:
The odds are good...just too late for the GM factory backed warranty. Check with your car insurance agent or if you belong to a credit union check with them....lots of options.
Thanks. Never really had to think about getting an extended warranty to be honest. Things are starting to worry me about the Acadia and last thing I need to be paying thousands out of pocket for repairs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I bought new on March 08, 2015 I purchased the extra warranty bumper/bumper good for 5 years 100,000 miles for a price of $900.00 with a zero dollar deductible. It was offered to me for 1,100 dollars but said I would pay no more than $750.00 he came back with 900 so for 1 1/2 extra payments I am covered for almost double the mileage it was worth it.They told me I stole the extra warranty from them but they still made money off of the deal I'm sure.

2015 GMC Acadia Denali AWD

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
moveover said:
When I bought new on March 08, 2015 I purchased the extra warranty bumper/bumper good for 5 years 100,000 miles for a price of $900.00 with a zero dollar deductible. They told me I stole the extra warranty from them but they still made money off of the deal I'm sure.

Sure they did, or they wouldn't have given you that price. Any extended warranty is a gamble for both parties depending on how much it's used.

BTW moveover, if you put your vehicle info in the signature block of your profile, you won't need to type it in any more. And, no one will have to ask you what model/year you're driving.

·
Registered
697 Posts
moveover said:
When I bought new on March 08, 2015 I purchased the extra warranty bumper/bumper good for 5 years 100,000 miles for a price of $900.00 with a zero dollar deductible. It was offered to me for 1,100 dollars but said I would pay no more than $750.00 he came back with 900 so for 1 1/2 extra payments I am covered for almost double the mileage it was worth it.They told me I stole the extra warranty from them but they still made money off of the deal I'm sure.

Yes, but much of that 5 years overlaps your factory warranty. Thats why the price goes up as you get closer to the end of the factory warranty as more of the extended is covering a period which otherwise has no coverage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All the electrical 'stuff' in the Acadia this might be the car to get the long service contract on. I was told that the value for the long service contract goes up once you have had the car for over 12 months. So former to your 1 year birthday, check it out. A large part be subject to on whether you plan on trust the vehicle or not. I usually don't get the extended service contract but in this case, I am considering it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GerryL said:
Yes, but much of that 5 years overlaps your factory warranty. Thats why the price goes up as you get closer to the end of the factory warranty as more of the extended is covering a period which otherwise has no coverage.
I understand that But I also understand that if I went back I purchased it before the first year was up I would be paying more than 900 dollars so I chose to pay less. Besides the longest I have kept a car has been 4 years so I will most likely have another car before the warranty is expired

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Extended warranties are to each their own-each owner's reasons to purchase one or not is wholly based on individuals needs

301 - 320 of 342 Posts
About this Discussion
341 Replies
140 Participants
IUOE ROB
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing