GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone priced out or negotiated an extended warranty? Since dealers in my area continue to quote only several hundred off MSRP, I may try to include in my negotiations an extended warranty.
How long do they typically go...2 years/24K miles after expiration of factory warranty? 3 years/36K miles?
What do they typically cover?
Thanks to all who respond.

Moderator Edit 11-2009
Numerous similar threads merged into this one. We also have threads about it in the Polls section.[/color]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Extended warranty offerings....

I just spoke with a dealer that offered various GM extended warranties. I purchased the 60 month/72,000 mile warranty with a $200 deductible for $1,100.

·
Registered
794 Posts

My dealer sold me something called Elite Protection. 72 months or 75,000. It cost $1850. Not sure if it has a deductable or not. Trying to find my paperwork

·
Registered
364 Posts

Powertrain is already covered by GM for 60 mos or 100K miles, bumper to bumper is covered for 36 mos, 36K miles. Since we will drive the car about 60K in the 60 months, the other 40k miles on the warranty is of no value to us. If I were leasing, the extended waranty would definitely be a waste.

I didn't want to get the extra warranty, but my wife said she'd feel better with an extended warranty for the "first year of the Acadia". I figure if the car acts up, then I get rid of it! But if it pleases my wife. . .

The extended warranty I bought extends the bumper-to-bumper to 60 months, 60K miles.

It was $860 and I financed it with the 0.0% interest @ $24.43/mo.

Wife is happy so I am happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts

This is one quote that I got by email from www.GM-Auto-Mall.com

It would be a place to start. Also notice that there are 2 plans and different deductibles.

Sounds like some of the plans listed on this thread are not GM warranties from the names and warranty lengths.

Available GM Protection Plans

Vehicle: 2007 Saturn Outlook 2WD
Under 12 months/12,000 miles? Yes
Commercial Use? No
Snowplow? No

Major Guard – Best
Term months/miles $200 deductible $100 deductible $0 deductible
48/48,000 $678 $704 $734
60/60,000 $811 $872 $954
72/72,000 $1,051 $1,173 $1,341
84/84,000 $1,357 $1,566 $1,851

Value Guard – Better
months/miles $200 deductible $100 deductible $0 deductible
48/48,000 $668 $683 $704
60/60,000 $791 $826 $872
72/72,000 $1,005 $1,081 $1,178
84/84,000 $1,285 $1,418 $1,576

The email also said:

For a limited time only... take an additional $180 off the highly discounted
pricing displayed below. This offer is only valid through February 20.

To take advantage of this offer, save this promotional code: 29377
Once you decide which plan is best suited for you, just click on the price
and you will be led to our online application.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Merged: Extended Warranty Questions

Given GM has extended their powertrain warranty to 5 years 100.000 miles, has anyone gotten good pricing on GM Bumper to Bumper warranties for that timeframe or longer and where? Should be cheaper than they used to be given the improved base warranty?
Last one I bought was for our 2003 Corvette, bought it over the net, heavily discounted, from a dealer in Montana. Most GM dealers try to sell you a third party warranty that is of little value when you are away from home.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Re: Extended GM Warranties

I was quoted $1400 (well off list price) for a 5 year 100K miles extended warranty, for both my Acadia and the wife's Yukon. The dealer said it's much less that it had been in the past, because of the 5 yr/100K mi powertrain warrant. But it was a 3rd party (GE Capital), and while he was trying to tell me it was equivalent to GM's Major Guard plan, it just didn't look like it from the brochure. So I passed, but I'm going to look into the GM Protection plan (GMPP). I don't know what constitutes a good 'discount' online, but I'm sure I'll find out.

·
Registered
123 Posts

jrc50 said:
Last one I bought was for our 2003 Corvette, bought it over the net, heavily discounted, from a dealer in Montana. Most GM dealers try to sell you a third party warranty that is of little value when you are away from home.
What dealership in Montana? I would be interested in contacting them...

·
Registered
360 Posts

Fitchner Chevrolet in Laurel MT...

Contact is:

Dennis Fichtner
406-628-4618, Ext 105

Adam Boca

·
Registered
231 Posts

SAF_ALG said:
Thanks Adam, I am going to call and see what they can do for the Acadia...
Let us know what they say!

·
Registered
182 Posts

I've always heard extended warranties are a waste of money.....so, I've never purchased one on anything. I'd like to hear others opinions on the matter though.........

·
Premium Member
822 Posts

clsuper said:
I've always heard extended warranties are a waste of money.....so, I've never purchased one on anything. I'd like to hear others opinions on the matter though.........
Generally, I agree. However, I did purchase an extended warranty on my MDX (based on some specific issues that MDX owners were having), and it has paid for itself several times over. It's a function of cost vs. risk (in terms of likelihood and consequence).

Kelly

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

clsuper said:
Extended warranties are just another form of insurance. If you have a decent emergency fund, you can afford to "self-insure" and come out ahead overall by not buying them. However, if you are buying a product that you have serious reliability concerns about (see Kelly's example) you may want to consider it.

The other problem I have with them is that often people end up keeping the product longer than even the extended warranty lasts and then the real problems happen after that. Personally, I don't buy them.

·
Registered
123 Posts

I have never bought one before either, but, after my 5 week old Acadia just spent the night at the dealership, I will probably look into it for this one seeing that the engine control module fried out. I'll see what it costs.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Adam, you must have a Corvette! That is exactly the dealership I bought the extended warranty on, they are sponsors at the corvetteforum.com
Small world! If they can offer something decent on the Acadia I will do something as well 8)

·
Registered
305 Posts

Considering all the electrical 'stuff' in the Acadia this might be the vehicle to get the extended warranty on. I was told that the price for the extended warranty goes up once you have had the vehicle for over 12 months. So prior to your 1 year anniversary, check it out. A large part depends on whether you plan on keeping the vehicle or not. I ususally don't get the extended warrranty but in this case, I am considering it.

·
Registered
123 Posts

luvmyacadia said:
Considering all the electrical 'stuff' in the Acadia this might be the vehicle to get the extended warranty on. I was told that the price for the extended warranty goes up once you have had the vehicle for over 12 months. So prior to your 1 year anniversary, check it out. A large part depends on whether you plan on keeping the vehicle or not. I ususally don't get the extended warrranty but in this case, I am considering it.
My thughts exactly, especially after my little electrical issue this week. I am going to try and call Fitchner Chevrolet today and see if they will write/sell one for the Acadia, afterall, it is a GM product. I'll post what after I call.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

I feel that warantees are governed by Murphy's law. I bought one for my first Nissan and never used it. Opted out for my Volvo and have spent thousands in repairs and it is only six years old. I most likely will buy one so I won't have electrical issues on this car like the last!! :)

Please let us know any "deals".

·
Registered
305 Posts

One more thought on a warranty for the Acadia....it is the first model year. If something could go wrong with any vehicle, guess who will probably find out about it first.

1 - 20 of 342 Posts