GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife and I bought our new SLT-1 Acadia, the only feature I wanted that it didn't have was the Navigation radio. Now it does! :) It only took a 1/2 hour to install. I still do not have the GPS antenna where it is suppose to go from the factory. I have not been able to find out exactly where it goes yet. The unit works great! I did need to have the computer reprogrammed only because the warning chimes were to loud. The unit I put in is the one that plays DVDs so that I can Add rear seat monitors in the future. I also found a harness that was taped back out of the way that was not being used (the brown one by my finger) that plugged into the radio. So it is pre-wired for something but we have not figured out what yet.

p.s. sorry for the bad pictures.

Moderator edit
Here is a very helpful install thread on this topic from the Outlook Forum:[/color]
DING DING DING DING[/color]
Click below! Click below![/color] Click below! Click below![/color] Click below! Click below![/color] Click below! Click below![/color] Click below! Click below![/color] Click below! Click below![/color] Click below!
How to Install OEM Navigation into the Outlook - An Illustrated Guide
DING DING DING DING[/color]

Related info from member Phazer_II:[/color]
That tutorial from the Outlook forum is great, but here's a couple minor points on the antenna installation that might be helpful for Acadia owners.

I tried just lifting the front cowl piece for the installation, and while I had room to fish the cable, there wasn't enough room to correctly position the antenna...so I took out the passenger side cover for the "A" piller. I found that my fingernail popped out the plugs for the screws without making a mark...I only lifted the front piece as far as the instrument cluster, so there was no need to remove the drivers side.

The other guy removed the center storage compartment, so I did also...he showed fishing the cable in a straight line from that compartment, but my flexible nylon fish tape wouldn't do it. I found a hole under the front cowl piece just right of center dash that was an easy fish to the antenna location...and that hole was a straight line from the right side of the radio compartment, so another easy fish. I'd done two separate fishing operations and pulled in a piece of sash cord. In my case, I tried one pull, so the loop that used to be in the middle of the sash cord was gone. Unfortunately, the antenna cable was going around some obstacle that made the pull very difficult. In retrospect, pulling all the cable to the center hole first, then pulling to the radio compartment would have been a breeze.

I also bought a tool for removing cowl pieces, and used a towel for protection, but somehow the towel got away and the tool scratched the charcoal dash...it's light colored underneath and showed up big-time. I had one of those black color-cure polishes from Turtle Wax that had a chip-stick. I rubbed the stick on the scratch, and it's hardly noticeable...at least, the wife hasn't mentioned it yet!

See also the sticky with radio information for the several years here:[/color]
Acadia Radio Part/ID Numbers and Option Codes

EDIT
YouTube video from a 2007 Acadia courtesy of wx4casterbwwc on YouTube. He is removing the nav unit and installing the original radio. Part 1 was him demonstrating the nav radio since he is selling his on ebay:
(There is no talking, read the captions)[/color]

This will be helpful for anyone contemplating the nav radio swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Re: Navigation radio installed!

wohas said:
I also found a harness that was taped back out of the way that was not being used (the brown one by my figer) that plugged into the radio. So it is pre-wired for something but we have not figured out what yet.
By radio I don't know if you mean your old radio or the new navigation unit but it may be for a back-up camera.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

How do you remove the chrome bezel around the center stack?

·
Registered
75 Posts

Wohas....that's freakin' awesome!!

But you gotta show the rest of us how you did it (removal of moulding and all)...I might consider doing that with mine for future iPod integration. It looks a whole lot better!

Oh, and how much did the individual radio unit cost?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The Bezel just pops out, it has clips that hold it in. I read on another post here on how to take it off. I started from the bottom and worked up to the vents. It was a little tricky but not hard. I will post better pics when I locate the antenna where it is suppose to be. I payed $1850 for the radio, and that included the gps antenna and the nav disc. The Radio that does not play DVD's was $1600. Considering what the cost would have been from factory ($2100) I am not too unhappy. The harness that I found was not plugged into the old radio(there was nowhere for it to go) but did plug into the new one.

·
Registered
24 Posts

AWESOME!

I was thinking about upgrading the stock radio too, but with a clarion head unit....

But since the GM OEM NAVI seems so straight forward...i may have to copy you...hehehe! :angel:

·
Registered
17 Posts

wohas

Congrats.. I was really looking for someone who did it.

1- Is it now integrated with sound system..
2- Is it possible to use the in dash 6 CD changer and connect to the nav. radio.. You will get more feature :thumb:

Waiting for your confirmation...

·
Registered
269 Posts

I would assume it is still integrated with OnStar as well?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The only thing that I do not have integrated is the voice recog. feature. It runs through the Onstar, all I need is the harness that goes from the Radio to the Onstar module. The company that I bought it from was out of them and is sneding it to me. besides that it is fully integrated to the sound system. It was reprogramed like it came from the factory. When I first hooked it up the warning chimes were insanely loud and the tun signal "clicking" was 10 times louder. The Gps, steering wheel controls, and radio audio all worked right off the bat. The bass was off, but like I said the reprogamming took care of it. It even put the GMC logo on the splash screen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The reprogamming was done by a cousin who is a gm mechanic. He brought home a Tech II scanner and did it at my house. But yes it would have to be done by a dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm considering the same modification. But before I spend the $$$, I've got a few questions:

1. You mentioned you paid $1600 for the new Nav unit. Where did you get it for that price?

2. Does the new unit include XM capability?

3. I have the rear seat entertainment (RSE) DVD system with my current non-NAV radio. My present radio has a separate slot for audio CDs and another one for DVDs. I noticed your new DVD-ready NAV unit has just one slot for CDs and/or DVDs. Is it safe to assume that both audio CDs and DVDs go in the same slot on your new NAV unit, and that it will integrate perfectly with my current RSE DVD system?

4. My local dealer gave me grief about swapping out these units and basically said that it couldn't be done. However your post proves otherwise. I'm just wondering if you or anyone else reading this post has had any luck getting their local GMC dealer to program (or possibly even install) a new "swapped-out" NAV unit.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

bluewaterwx said:
I'm considering the same modification. But before I spend the $$$, I've got a few questions:

1. You mentioned you paid $1600 for the new Nav unit. Where did you get it for that price?

2. Does the new unit include XM capability?

3. I have the rear seat entertainment (RSE) DVD system with my current non-NAV radio. My present radio has a separate slot for audio CDs and another one for DVDs. I noticed your new DVD-ready NAV unit has just one slot for CDs and/or DVDs. Is it safe to assume that both audio CDs and DVDs go in the same slot on your new NAV unit, and that it will integrate perfectly with my current RSE DVD system?

4. My local dealer gave me grief about swapping out these units and basically said that it couldn't be done. However your post proves otherwise. I'm just wondering if you or anyone else reading this post has had any luck getting their local GMC dealer to program (or possibly even install) a new "swapped-out" NAV unit.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I got the radio from jpcustoms.com. I paid $1850 for the radio that plays DVD's, the one that is for vehicles without rear ent. system is $1600. Since you have rear ent. you will need the DVD version. You load your CD's and DVD's through the same slot. You will need to have the computer reprogrammed by someone using a Tech II scanner after install.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts

Wohas;

Have you tried to install the antenna and the connection to vioce recognition..

BTW, Is there any wiring manual for Acadia Nav. system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

samudi said:
Wohas;

Have you tried to install the antenna and the connection to vioce recognition..

BTW, Is there any wiring manual for Acadia Nav. system.
I have the gps antenna installed I just don't have it where it would go from the factory. I have not received my harness yet to connect it for voice recognition. I do not know of any wiring manual, everything I did was plug and play.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Any updates on this? I am very interested. Has anyone else done this yet? Can the system be found elsewhere for cheaper? $1850 seems a bit expensive. Have you determined the location of the GPS antenae?, and what about the voice recognition deal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Adding the factory NAV at a later date

If you are like me, you may have not wanted to pay the hefty price for the nav system. If you keep your eyes open, you can pick it up for a much better price, and install it yourself. Some things to note:

1) Make sure you get the right model. Many of the models made for GM vehicles look alike, but are slightly different. here is an example:

CD ONLY UNITS

Sierra/Silverado/Surburban/Tahoe/Yukon/? | Made by Denso | The navigation buttons are blue.
15882767 (No "DVD" label)

Lucerne | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are blue.
10400200 (No "DVD" label)

Acadia | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are red.
25801668 (No "DVD" label)

DVD UNITS

Sierra/Silverado/Surburban/Tahoe/Yukon/? | Made by Denso | The navigation buttons are blue.
15882766 ("DVD" label)

Enclave | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are blue.
25816282 ("DVD" label)

Acadia | Made by Delphi | The navigation buttons are red.
25801667 ("DVD" label)

NOTE: As an example of this, I ALMOST bought a unit off of ebay. The picture looked just like the unit that comes in the Acadia. The seller even said it was for the Acadia. But its part number indicated it was the unit for the Enclave, and that it was a CD only model. This means it would not have matched my red lighting in the Acadia, nor would it have worked with my DVD entertainment system.

Hopefully this information will help some of you out.

There is a good thread about some of this at:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1101.msg13276

It also looks like you can get the nav unit at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ for much less than the dealership charges. Just type in part # 25801667 if you are looking for the DVD version.

I am still keeping my eye open for a unit at a slightly better price. I am also pretty much stuck with the factory unit because it seems to be the only one that will play nice with my factory installed DVD entertainment system. Seems that the entertainment system uses proprietary wiring connections that won't work with other vendor nav systems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Adding the factory NAV at a later date

One thing I might add is that when you enter #25801667 at the discount site mentioned, it notes that the radio is updated to #25815340. I've yet to find out if the new number is for the '08 (rear view camera ready).

·
Registered
24 Posts

wohas said:
webhair said:
What brand / model did you go with?

Thanks
I used the factory radio that plays DVD's, it is made by Denso.
I thought the factory units were made by Delphi. Can you confirm this?

1 - 20 of 186 Posts