GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the process of ordering a 2009 Acadia SLT2. One option decision point was to go with either the U42 option ceiling mounted DVD player or to go with the dealer accessory headrest units. The overhead unit is about $1300 MSRP, and the dual headrest units are about $1600~1800 (MSRP over $2K) when I did a short search for them. We decided to go with the headrest units.

The GM part number we needed for the headrests was 19155943, which are the black leather units. I found a few sets on ebay, none of which were black leather. The seller advertised them as new in box, with a $750 buy it now or best offer for a pair in black cloth. I offered $712 + 18 shipping and it was accepted. I then found I had a 10% off Paypal coupon good through 7-29-08. My total cost shipped was about $658. I borrowed the seller's pictures and attached a couple.

I plan on having these recovered with matching leather once they arrive. I will update this thread (it will be a while, our SLT2 will be 6~9 weeks to get here) with some pics once this upgrade gets underway.

Further planned upgrades and modifications include some Sharp Board running boards and a lockpick for the Nav unit and a lockpick ipod interface.

EDIT
For how-to, see:
Post 24

Post 28

Post 29

Post 54

Someday I'll get ambitious & try and make a document with all of this stuff in one place. :)

UPDATE
The image scans of the headrest install manual have been converted into ten PDF documents and placed in the Gallery (click to view and download). The single document was too large (7MB) to upload here.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: GM Headrest DVDs- got a great deal!

Wait a minute----Are you saying you got both headrests w/ DVD player(s) installed for $700ish and all you have to do is have the cloth replaced w/ ebony leather......Wow--That really is a great deal. Congrats. Keep us posted on the install. :cheers:

·
Registered
152 Posts

Congrats your twins look awesome and that is really a great deal :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Not installed- I have to do that myself, and they have to be recovered first. I'm going to get some estimates this week, but I estimate probably not too much more than $100.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Great deal on those headrest DVD's. Good choice, I have the rear entertainment flip down. When the screen is flipped down in the back, I can't see [email protected]#T out of the back. Its a pain in the butt....good choice at a great price...now you got me looking to go with the headrests too....

Lets see some pics on the install too when you get to that stage. I would love to see if it has a aux out (or a video that could be split) that I could plug into my rear enter.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

No problem... your camera thread was what inspired me to look into a base model & install the nav/cam myself... until the wife found out about the cooled seats in the SLT2 :).

·
Registered
281 Posts

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
We are in the process of ordering a 2009 Acadia SLT2. One option decision point was to go with either the U42 option ceiling mounted DVD player or to go with the dealer accessory headrest units. The overhead unit is about $1300 MSRP, and the dual headrest units are about $1600~1800 (MSRP over $2K) when I did a short search for them. We decided to go with the headrest units.

The GM part number we needed for the headrests was 19155943, which are the black leather units. I found a few sets on ebay, none of which were black leather. The seller advertised them as new in box, with a $750 buy it now or best offer for a pair in black cloth. I offered $712 + 18 shipping and it was accepted. I then found I had a 10% off Paypal coupon good through 7-29-08. My total cost shipped was about $658. I borrowed the seller's pictures and attached a couple.

I plan on having these recovered with matching leather once they arrive. I will update this thread (it will be a while, our SLT2 will be 6~9 weeks to get here) with some pics once this upgrade gets underway.

Further planned upgrades and modifications include some Sharp Board running boards and a lockpick for the Nav unit and a lockpick ipod interface.
Do you think you could give out the screen name of the seller? That is a heck of a price!! Thanks!! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I searched ebay just now using "Acadia Headrest DVD" and it looks like he has three pair left: Medium Cashmere, Medium Titanium, or Lite Titanium.

·
Registered
281 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I think I am going to get a set.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Everything arrived today. Looks good, now I just need an Acadia to install them into! The wiring looks to be the worst part of the job. The instructions say you need special tools GM PN 12094429 and 12094430 (harness terminal picks), as well as a few normal hand tools (pliers, nylon removal tool, flathead screwdriver, scribe tool, 5/16 wrench, small Torx screwdriver, 10mm & 18mm sockets, 4mm Allen wrench, wire cutters and wire crimpers). The pictures in the instructions are tiny and black & white. When I get underway, I will shoot some larger color ones and add text.

·
Registered
281 Posts

I just wanted to let everyone know that I picked up a lite titainium set from the same guy. He lowered his buy it now price to under $700 or you could offer a best offer to him. I ended up paying after the livesearch.com cashback about $570 shipped. I could not pass up the deal. I will post picks of my attempted install once I get the headrests. Should be at my place by Thurs. Thanks Blue 2009 for the heads up on the great deal!

Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Everything arrived today. Looks good, now I just need an Acadia to install them into! The wiring looks to be the worst part of the job. The instructions say you need special tools GM PN 12094429 and 12094430 (harness terminal picks), as well as a few normal hand tools (pliers, nylon removal tool, flathead screwdriver, scribe tool, 5/16 wrench, small Torx screwdriver, 10mm & 18mm sockets, 4mm Allen wrench, wire cutters and wire crimpers). The pictures in the instructions are tiny and black & white. When I get underway, I will shoot some larger color ones and add text.
No special tools needed. I used my pick set to take apart / remove the wires from the OEM plugs.
The directions SUCK....I scanned and posted them in the Audio/Nav section if anyone wants to look them over, Click Here
Everything comes part really easy, if you have any experience installing, you should be able to handle it!
Best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm the guy selling the systems. I bought 2 pallets of stuff from my local GM Accessories warehouse, mostly dead stock stuff. I have a few systems left, but no more lite titanium.
I'll sell directly to any of you guys for $675 shipped, or you can play the ebay game and pay a little more.
Here is a link to my auctions:
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayNextSelling&gbh=1&rand=224596048&smGHR=true

Any positive feedback from people I've sold to would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to email me directly, I won't be keeping up with the posts on this thread.

Matt
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the deal you are offering. The seller is 100%, he is a rare bird on ebay that actually leaves you feedback when you pay vs the wait & see type. The parts he sold were exactly as he described, and he shipped right away.

As an update for this setup, user JoJo posted this in another thread:
(emphasis added to relevant part)[/color]

Just saw this update...

http://eogld.ecomm.gm.com/NASApp/domestic/vehiclesel.jsp?year=2009&regionID=1&divisionID=2#
Distribution Updates

Updates for Acadia

Week of 7/28/2008

Effective 7/28/2008, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

Interior section-Added (VBS) Limited Promotion Option, Remote vehicle starter system, advanced 2-way, it is "A" on 3SA and 4SA with a footnote 1 that reads "Requires (PDD) Convenience Package. Not available with Fleet or Government orders." Also, it is "A" on 4SB with a footnote 1 that reads "Not available with Fleet or Government order types".

Interior section-Added (UJ5) Limited Promotion Option, Entertainment system, rear seat DVD player, includes 2 headrest-mounted 7-inch diagonal LCD monitors, dual built-in DVD players, 2 wireless headphones and wireless remote, it is "A" on all equipment groups with a footnote 1 that reads "Not available with (U42) rear seat DVD entertainment system or with Fleet and Government order types.".[/color]

The unknown at this point is the price.

·
Registered
281 Posts

I would second Blue's assessment of Matt offering the headrest monitors on ebay. He was extremely easy to work with and helped me get even a better deal on his auction. I would not hesitate to recommend him if you are in the market for these headrest dvd units.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Cars.com now has pricing on the remote start & headrest DVDs. The remote start is $260/216, and the headrests are $1,930/1,602.

I think I will be better off to recover & install what I have for that much money.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

I just purchased mine. I will have to get them covered also. I ran into a guy that say they could just dye them, instead of recovering. Anyone know Anything dying leather?

·
Registered
18 Posts

Looks great. I don't have that much to spend. Can someone tell me what size do I need to purchase if I want to cut my headrests and install myslef. I purchased some 7" monitors without DVD and they are in a headrest problem is that since the 2007 Acadia is not a flat surface meaning the two sides are raised .. the headrest does not fit. furthermore i can't return the item I purchased so I will have to get new ones. can someone tell me if any of the headrest monitors or headrest dvd combo units from this web site fit into the acaida drivers front and passenger front headrest locations. http://www.gooddeals18.com/category/carscreens/

·
Registered
117 Posts

As far as I know -

Rosen and Invision make factory match headrests for the Acadia. I also like another company that is on display at Best Buy, but I can't think of their name....The name (that I can't recall) is actually 2 names (like Lewis and Clark or something). These all sell for around $1000 per set.

I don't think you will like the fit and match of a generic headrest do to the cut out nature of the Acadia seat.

There is also a shop near Atlanta that will cut in 2 touch screen (with DVD hidden elsewhere) for $1000 for a really clean look.

If budget is a concern (like it was for me after spending $2000 on a Kenwood DNX8120) - I spent $189 for an overhead DVD and its far easier to install than the headrests and features a larger screen:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4121.0

·
Registered
18 Posts

Okay I have an roof monute monitor the flip down type but I didn't want to install becuase someone said i would have to remove the entire headliner. Is that true. I have the 2007 Acadia SLT-1 with dual sunroofs you know the one that opens and the other does not open. how hard is it to install the flip down and how long will it take. Please reply soon. I want to install for our family vacaion which starts on Friday

1 - 20 of 142 Posts