GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have merged the numerous extended warranty threads into a 10 page mega-thread. I know most will not want to go through it to cull data to help them decide what is the best deal. In order to perform this function most efficiently (and save power, since you won't have to use the computer as much
), I'm creating this actual experience thread and making it a sticky.

Just like the "prices paid" thread, I'm requiring that it be limited to actual experiences- please no discussion about "wow, you got a good deal", or "I don't think you got a good deal", etc. Any unrelated posts will be deleted. While well-intended, they clutter the thread and make it hard to read.

Please utilize a uniform format when posting, so they are easier to compare:

1) Name of company and contact info if known (phone #, website)
2) Term (time/miles)
3) Cost
4) Coverage (drivetrain, bumper-to-bumper, etc.)
5) Pros and cons based on your experience- do you recommend them?

Thanks for any input. I'm not going to drag posts from the other thread since they will not be in this format. It's probably best that we get more recent info here anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I have merged the numerous extended warranty threads into a 10 page mega-thread. I know most will not want to go through it to cull data to help them decide what is the best deal. In order to perform this function most efficiently (and save power, since you won't have to use the computer as much
), I'm creating this actual experience thread and making it a sticky.

Just like the "prices paid" thread, I'm requiring that it be limited to actual experiences- please no discussion about "wow, you got a good deal", or "I don't think you got a good deal", etc. Any unrelated posts will be deleted. While well-intended, they clutter the thread and make it hard to read.

Please utilize a uniform format when posting, so they are easier to compare:

2) Term (time/miles)
3) Cost

Thanks for any input. I'm not going to drag posts from the other thread since they will not be in this format. It's probably best that we get more recent info here anyway.
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Any interest in a dedicated extended warranty thread?:

2) Term (time/miles)
3) Cost

Feel free to add/edit this & I'll make a sticky thread.

Disclaimer- I have committed the cardinal sin of not searching :-[ since I have to go do something else right now- if this has been done, I will merge threads as needed.

EDIT
Search completed, similar threads merged into this one. I'm still going to create a specific price/experience thread here with the above data fields.
Vaden Automotive
http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com
877-466-9166

2) Term (time/miles)
60 months / 100,000 miles

3) Cost
$940 (called in after getting their list price quote)

GMPP Major Guard with $100 deductible... This is the best plan GM offers.

Yes. I recommend. On price and most definitely convenience and customer service.

6) My Vehicle
2009 GMC Acadia 2WD 11253 miles (still considered new)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 7 year 56,000 mile (don't drive too much) GMPP Major Guard extended warranty with a $100 deductible for $975. This was for my 2009 Acadia AWD (about 11 mos. old) with 8,000 miles on it. I found it from a car buying tips website where the guy (Justin) works as a Finance Manager for a Chevy dealer. At first I was a little skeptical, because it wasn't an official GM site, but did some homework and found out he was for real. In fact, I just confirmed with GMPP a few days ago that my contract had been received and processed.

I had tried several other sites for quotes and not only found his price to be best, but he didn't bug me with a bunch of emails or phone calls. In fact, I didn't even have to give my phone number to get a quote.

1) http://www.insider-car-buying-tips.com/gm_extended_warranty.html

2)84 months / 56,000 miles

3)$975

4)GMPP Major Guard

5)Definitely recommend him. Prices were the best I found and like I said before he didn't bug me with emails or phone calls. I talked to him on the phone, he seems like a nice enough guy and I got what I feel is a great deal, so I'd say give him a shot. Only con, there was no payment plan available, but he said he was working on it and should have it ready by end of January.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
amazinglee said:
I bought a 7 year 56,000 mile (don't drive too much) GMPP Major Guard extended warranty with a $100 deductible for $975. This was for my 2009 Acadia AWD (about 11 mos. old) with 8,000 miles on it. I found it from a car buying tips website where the guy (Justin) works as a Finance Manager for a Chevy dealer. At first I was a little skeptical, because it wasn't an official GM site, but did some homework and found out he was for real. In fact, I just confirmed with GMPP a few days ago that my contract had been received and processed.

I had tried several other sites for quotes and not only found his price to be best, but he didn't bug me with a bunch of emails or phone calls. In fact, I didn't even have to give my phone number to get a quote.

1) http://www.insider-car-buying-tips.com/gm_extended_warranty.html

2)84 months / 56,000 miles

3)$975

4)GMPP Major Guard

5)Definitely recommend him. Prices were the best I found and like I said before he didn't bug me with emails or phone calls. I talked to him on the phone, he seems like a nice enough guy and I got what I feel is a great deal, so I'd say give him a shot. Only con, there was no payment plan available, but he said he was working on it and should have it ready by end of January.
Your power train warranty covers the critical costly items for five years already so with mileage not an issue for you, you basically bought two more years.

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Well that's nice and all, but I prefer to talk face to face with a guy when talking about extended warranties etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Picked up car yesterday with extended warranty.
2010 Acadia SLT-1 w/Sunroof, DVD, and Navigation
Bumper to Bumper
Company: GMPP Major Guard
Term: 72mo. / 72,000 mi.
Deductible: $0
Price: $1595
Decided to get it mostly because of the extra electronic options.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
you'll be glad you got it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, first time GM owner here. Just picked up a 2010 Acadia SLT-1 last week (which I love so far) but I definitely didn't do enough homework about extended warranties and protection plans. After reading some threads here, I feel like I was duped by the dealership manager into buying some plans I may not need at all or at least not yet. For starters, he made no indication that the GMPP was an extended warranty, rather it was coverage i needed right now. I believe I have 60 days to cancel the GMPP, but I'm not sure about the other stuff. Hoping someone here can help me figure this all out and provide some options. Here are the extras that I paid for:

GMPP Major Guard 6yr/72K with $0 deductible: $1880
SmartCare (prepaid oil changes, lubes and tire rotations) 3yr/36K: $595
Tire & Wheel Protection: 5 yrs (my wife has damaged a few tires on curbs with our other car) : $689

in looking at the limited warranty, i see that i've got 3yr/36K bumber-to-bumper including tires, which makes me question the need for the Tire & Wheel Protection, at least for the first 3 years of ownership. and regarding the oil changes and tire rotations, i'd rather have that performed by someone closer to my house (the dealership is 40 minutes away). am i screwed? should i get out of these? can i get out of these? these plans combined to hike my monthly payment $50/month.

thanks in advance for your input and advice.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
boyinthebarrel said:
Hi, first time GM owner here. Just picked up a 2010 Acadia SLT-1 last week (which I love so far) but I definitely didn't do enough homework about extended warranties and protection plans. After reading some threads here, I feel like I was duped by the dealership manager into buying some plans I may not need at all or at least not yet. For starters, he made no indication that the GMPP was an extended warranty, rather it was coverage i needed right now. I believe I have 60 days to cancel the GMPP, but I'm not sure about the other stuff. Hoping someone here can help me figure this all out and provide some options. Here are the extras that I paid for:

GMPP Major Guard 6yr/72K with $0 deductible: $1880
SmartCare (prepaid oil changes, lubes and tire rotations) 3yr/36K: $595
Tire & Wheel Protection: 5 yrs (my wife has damaged a few tires on curbs with our other car) : $689

in looking at the limited warranty, i see that i've got 3yr/36K bumber-to-bumper including tires, which makes me question the need for the Tire & Wheel Protection, at least for the first 3 years of ownership. and regarding the oil changes and tire rotations, i'd rather have that performed by someone closer to my house (the dealership is 40 minutes away). am i screwed? should i get out of these? can i get out of these? these plans combined to hike my monthly payment $50/month.

thanks in advance for your input and advice.
I avoid any prepiad service as it makes no sense to me. As for the tire/wheel protection, I laughed when my dealer tried to sell me that. Pure profit center for them. The extended warranty on the other hand is something to consider but the cost you quote seems excessive. I purchased 100K B2B coverage for roughly $1,000 with $100 deductible for each event.

·
Premium Member
15,751 Posts
Look at it this way; if one of the wheels becomes damaged; it might cost you close to the price you paid to either have it fixed or repaired. I would have declined the SmartCare since I change my own oil. The GMPP could pay for itself if your Acadia is a "problem child"; I certainly hope yours isn't. I look at extended warranties like this; they are like life insurance..........it's something your pay for in the hopes you don't need it, but when you do it pays for itself

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the advice. the more i've read, it sounds like earlier models had certain issues (leaking sunroof, rear latch problems, etc) that are now worked out in my 2010. also, i keep reading that these protection plans are really just fluff that the dealers want to sell you b/c it's easy money for them. i'm going to ditch all three protection plans and just get the GMPP extended warranty when i hit 12K or maybe even 36K, when the current warranty is up.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
AA/78U said:
Look at it this way; if one of the wheels becomes damaged; it might cost you close to the price you paid to either have it fixed or repaired. I would have declined the SmartCare since I change my own oil. The GMPP could pay for itself if your Acadia is a "problem child"; I certainly hope yours isn't. I look at extended warranties like this; they are like life insurance..........it's something your pay for in the hopes you don't need it, but when you do it pays for itself
Life insurance is very different - really designed to provide for your family and replace the income they would no longer have and could not replace. A damaged wheel on the other hand - I think anyone who owns an Acadia can certainly afford the replacement in the unlikely case something were to happen. This one is a huge money maker for the dealers these days and that's why they throw such a high pressure sales pitch to sell it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I might have been screwed on this deal but anyhow, here it is.

1) I got mine through the dealer (Dean Myers, Toronto, Ontario Canada).
2) 72 mos. / 100,000Km
3) $2646.00 (plus tax = $2989.98, yes, huge tax if you ask me) with $0 deductible
4) GMPP Total Plus (I don't know whether that is the same as the GMPP Major Guard)
5) Would I recommend them? From what I've read here and how much it cost to have your extended warranties, it's a BIG NO.

Also, contrary to others here, we took the extended warranty when we got the car. Being novice and lack of research that's would happen. I can't blame anyone but myself.

Maybe some of you may have some suggestions if I can work my dealer to offer me some freebies. I've read somewhere here in the forum that you have about 60-days to cancel your extended warranty. Is this true? From the contract, I can't see any disclosure about the cancellation. Can someone in here elaborate more. Thanks.

I would like to add, do I really need the GMPP Total Plus? I know this includes the electronics etc, on the car, but I don't have any dvd/nav or auto climate for that matter. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1) Fitchner Cheverolet Laurel, MT, Dennis Fichtner 406-628-4618
2) 48 Mo/72,000 Mi /$0 Deductible
3) $1900
4) Major Gaurd GMPP Coverage
5) Pros: Low Price, No sales tax. Beat my dealerships price by over $1000. Quick and easy. Took application over phone with credit card info-I emailed picture of the odometer with 35,975 miles the next day cons none
based on your experience- do you recommend them? Yes

·
Registered
73 Posts
1) Dealer matched www.gmoutlet.com pricing (Scoville Meno in Owego, NY)
2) 36 Mo/36,000 Mi /$0 Deductible
3) $1000
4) Major Gaurd GMPP Coverage
5) Decided to get it because of all of the options (SLT-2). I forgot that my state charges taxes even on warranties so I paid a little more than if I went through gmoutlet, but not a big deal.

I got it JUST before the factory warranty ran out. It is a 2008 with 34677 miles on it. I take delivery of the car on Monday. So I paid a little more than some people on here, but it seems most people bought theirs when the car was considered "new" still.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It's a good deal, I got mine after I passed the mileage.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1) Bradley Chevrolet - Parker, AZ. Justin Green (Finance Mgr) at 928-669-2228
2) 72 mos/90k miles, no deductible
3) $1,615
4) GMPP plan (GM's top-tier plan)
5) Highly recommend Justin. He is patient and answers all questions thoroughly, with no sales pressure.

I'm not normally a fan of extended warranties, but with all the electronics in this car and that I'm planning to keep it at least six years it seemed like good peace of mind. Bradley Chevrolet's price was WAY lower than what my dealer wanted.

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
(1) Bob King GMC - Wilmington, NC Chris H
(2) 72mo/ 72,000 miles
(3) $1485
(4) Bumper to Bumper. Zero deductible.
(5) Knocked $200 off the original $1685 price.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Insti08 said:
It's a good deal, I got mine after I passed the mileage.
Insti-

Were you able to get the GM warranty after the mileage limit? Please PM your specifics if you wouldn't mind.

Bill

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
29 Participants
Rat407
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing