GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Acadia search has been very frustrating. Last weekend three were sold before I could get to them. Today I found one that has everything I want except dvd. Can it be added? Can the dealer do it or someplace else like Best Buy? We tried having a dvd player installed on our current Sienna a few years ago, but they couldn't do it because of the sun roof, and I don't want to end up in the same situation again. One feature I like on the Acadia is being able to watch a dvd on the nav screen while in park. I imagine if we added a dvd player it would be independent and wouldn't be able to play on the nav.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Re: Has anyone added a dvd player?

MOst dealers are offering a GM system that incorporates it into the back of the headrests.

That may be an option. However, you won't have the NAV TV screen showing the show though.

NAV w/o a DVD is a pretty rare find.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

I added a DVD. I will have pictures up soon! We love it. I know it doesn't have the 5.1 surround sound, but we don't want to listen to it anyway. We ended up adding a bigger screen and TV for the same amount. It has a good picture quality and sounds good through the earphones. I will admit, however, we have not played a DVD yet. My son put his Game Cube in and plays that on the way to school. I was waiting to pick him up at the movies and watched TV from the back.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

What size screen did you end up getting mckcab? 9 inch? Where is it mounted?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Admin=1000 posts!! :thumb:

It's a 9 inch screen mounted between the sunroofs. I'll have to look at the factory installed again, but I think mine has a smaller unit overall. I'll measure next time I'm out!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

1000 posts? woohoo! I didn't even notice! lol

·
Registered
21 Posts

Was that an aftermarket DVD system that you added? WE have the Outlook, AWD XR. It has everything but sunroof, dvd system and advanced audio (couldn't find one locally and didn't want to wait on an order). We're working with a local outfit to install an aftermarket model, Advent 10.2" screen. We're scheduled for install on Monday the 7th.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Yes, it was after market. You can't even tell it was added. The only problem, and maybe that is the case with all DVDs, is that it is hard to see the back up assist even when closed. I'd take paper that is the same size as the machine and make sure the "blockage" in the rear window doesn't bother you. My kids wanted an even bigger screen, but the 10" screen took more rear view window room than I was willing to give!

As for the sound, you can still put it through the radio. The TV has OK audio but the DVD sounds great!

·
Registered
21 Posts

Could you post the dimensions of the front sunroof? I'm also trying to line up an aftermarket sunroof install and so far my local installer thinks I'll lose my middle ceiling vents. I noticed that with the factory sunroofs, the vents are still in place and am thinking they're just trying to fit too large a sunroof in there. BTW, this installer claims 100% retraction.

tyson

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Sure, I'll take some pics and post dimensions. Please give me until tonight, my daughter has a horse show over an hour away and they last pretty much all day. I'm logging off now to get ready!

·
Registered
403 Posts

when mine comes in, we will have one in the Acadia occasionally. 2 screen DVD player, on the back of the headrests, $150 at Walmaaat. I love the $2100 savings. :blob:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

OK- interior opening- 30" across 15" back
open - 6 and 1/2 " still sticking out

roof- 36x18

1 and 1/2" to DVD player

DVD unit 12x9

I'll post pics in the morning. Anything else?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Cool, pics will be great. What do you mean by roof - 36x18? Is that the measurement of the glass from the topside of the roof? My installer claims his sunroof opens 100%. Many thanks...I plan to use this information, along with your pics to convince my local installer that a sunroof can be installed without losing the middle row ceiling vents. If they still think otherwise then the job is off. Someone else can be their guinea pig...

tyson

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

36x18 was the dimension of the hole on the roof. I took pictures of the back to the front. I'll get them on in the morn.

We still have our vents, but my husband thinks that if the glass were to open 100% it could possible take out the vents. Our 9 inch screen still allows us use of the vents.

glad this helps!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts

My installer claims the DVD system will not interfere with the vents, but that the sunroof will. I asked how big it was and he claimed 43"...this is ALOT bigger than yours. I suspect they are trying to use product they have in-stock versus ordering the correct one. I told them this morning that unless the vents stay, we're not putting in a sunroof. They came back with relocating them 18" behind the middle row. What good is that? Your pictures and information will be a huge help.

tyson

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

These aren't that great. It was raining and didn't crawl around too much. If you need another view, let me know.

·
Registered
405 Posts

mckcab said:
These aren't that great. It was raining and didn't crawl around too much. If you need another view, let me know.
i dont see them. I am intrested for another car of mine how "stock" it looks.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Trying to add....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

This DVD/TV player has lights on the side. I don't think you can see them. It has an inch x2 inch "box" next to the driver's seat for the infrared. You really have to look for it to see it.

fyi- The cords are to my son's Game Cube on the floor. I asked my husband to unplug them but that would have required some effort on his part!!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.