GMC Acadia Forum banner

Sticky: Aftermarket DVD Headrests

81K views 63 replies 24 participants last post by  harveyfamily 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed plug and play headrest monitors? Custom headrest monitors?

For you audio/video-philes, I am driving out to Vizualogic within the next few weeks to size-up/test-fit some headrest monitors. The 9" All-In-One kit for my Silverado is incredible!Hopefully I can light a fire and they will get them out quickly.

Jim

#2 ·
Re: Vizualogic Headrest Monitors

I too am considering not buying the factory DVD just because I like the dual screen (both kids can watch what they want) and it doesn't block my rear view. The Outlook thread talks about problems with it (have to load it from the rear, bad visibility for third row passengers, theft concerns of the headrests, working through the factory speakers with a modulator, etc.) Can you address any of them on how they worked out for you? Thanks.

#3 ·
Merged: Aftermarket Acadia headrest DVD Information

For those of you interested......while browsing for some wireless headphone repair work on my DVD system in my Land Rover I saw that this company also sells headrest kits for the Acadia, Outlook and Enclave.

http://www.rosenentertainment.com/index.htm

#4 ·
Headrest monitors?

Has anyone added headrest monitors to the 2nd row headrests? So riders in the 3rd row can watch something other then what is on the overhead? I know the headrest is not removable (dumb design :banghead:) but wonder if someone has had a custom installer try it? I put in an aftermarket 8.5 inch overhead, but it's tough to see when a taller person sits in the middle of the 2nd row :help:.

Just curious, and if so, what did they put in, and how much was it?

Thanks in advance!

#5 ·
Re: Headrest monitors?

ArticAcadia, I installed the GM Accessories Dual DVD system on our Acadia. Really simple install even with the Slack-jaw directions/install notes. They are made by Invision so the quality seams to be good. Materials match but the headrests are larger in size to accept the electronics. Really haven't watched them myself but the audio signal via FM sounds ok - to - decent.
Con - No Audio/Video signal outputs on the system to allow the installer to pipe it into the Dash moniter (via a lockpick tool). They do have a 1/8" out jack on the units themselves but you wouldn't want that cheesy-wire plugged in then tucked in the seat.

#6 ·

I put headrest monitors in my Chevy Avalance (Acadia has the single overhead). I was lucky to find a good Audiovox system (really cheap!!) that had multiple inputs/outputs so I could expand it if I wanted.

Sort of scary to cut into the leather, but after that, it's pretty simple. Hardest part is just running the wire thru the seatbacks.

Check out my thread at the ChevyAvalancheFanClub.com site: How To: 2007/8 Headrest DVD Install

#7 ·

Both of these were installed in the 2nd row, behind driver and passanger seat though right? I want people in the 3rd row to see the video. The 2nd row can watch the overhead.

I already check to see that the headrest is about $40 if i screw it up, but since they don't come out, it may be tough to cut while in the car.

I'm debating, and hoping for someone who has done give me the :blob:

#8 ·

Yeah, these were in the back of the front seats. But the process is still about the same for putting in the 2nd row. May be a bit different to remove the seat back and/or run the cables, but still the same basic process. I did this in a day but it shouldn't more than 4-5 hrs.

The one thing I would note about putting them in the second row seats is how much the seats move forward on the tracks. You'ld really have to make sure to run your cables appropriately and allow enough slack for the cables to move while keeping them from getting cut off.

Another idea would be to mount visor monitors. I know that there aren't any holes for visors in the second row, but it might be something your could investigate. Just trying to brainstorm ideas.

#9 ·

I was able to figure out how to get the headrests off, and now i just need to figure out how to route the wires. I did lok, and i think i can get away running them down the drivers side, with enough slack to move the seats. I need to order the monitors now, and see how it wokrs out. I'll post pics when i start the project, for future reference.

I'm also considering just putting another 8.5in overhead monitor, further back. Make for easy connections for power / video feeds from the monitor above the driver / pass seats. Just a thought though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#11 ·
After market DVD headrests.

I saw a thread on here, about someone installing DVD headrests in their Acadia. Where they put the player right into their factory headrest, they had to cut the leather and everything. Now I can't find it. I was just wondering where they got them from and how much they paid etc. I have seen them pre-installed in a head rest, but people have stated they don't fit the Acadia because of the odd shape of the seats. The factory ones are like $2200 installed here in Canada. I can't afford that much, and I would prefer them over an overhead model. Any suggestions would be great. We have just purchased an SLE with ebony cloth. Although the dealer is still searching for one, so God knows what we will end up with. SLT1-2 are way to expensive up here. Like 55k loaded.
Any info is appreciated.

#13 ·
Re: After market DVD headrests.

After searching for about an hour --- I am pretty determined sometimes --- I found this link to a Chevy Avalance forum. Obviously a different vehicle but I am sure most of the work that needs to be done is the same and this info may help you.
You will need to create an account on the site in order to see the pictures of the install.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,95062.0.html

#14 ·

emnel said:
I saw a thread on here, about someone installing DVD headrests in their Acadia. Where they put the player right into their factory headrest, they had to cut the leather and everything. Now I can't find it. I was just wondering where they got them from and how much they paid etc. I have seen them pre-installed in a head rest, but people have stated they don't fit the Acadia because of the odd shape of the seats. The factory ones are like $2200 installed here in Canada. I can't afford that much, and I would prefer them over an overhead model. Any suggestions would be great. We have just purchased an SLE with ebony cloth. Although the dealer is still searching for one, so God knows what we will end up with. SLT1-2 are way to expensive up here. Like 55k loaded.
Any info is appreciated.
Finch has a dual headrest DVD option in an SV6 currently in the showroom it was 1200 but you can play 2 separate movies on each or control both players from one unit.

#15 ·

Thanks guys.
Bonk That was the exact link I was looking for! I found it once then could not find it again. boy you're good. :cheers:

DsnyFn Is that installed by Bfinch. That sounds more reasonable that $2200. I will have to look into it. Hubby is now dealing with the whole situation from down south. So i will let you guys know what transpires. he even mentioned maybe ordering a 2009!

#16 ·

emnel said:
Thanks guys.
Bonk That was the exact link I was looking for! I found it once then could not find it again. boy you're good. :cheers:

DsnyFn Is that installed by Bfinch. That sounds more reasonable that $2200. I will have to look into it. Hubby is now dealing with the whole situation from down south. So i will let you guys know what transpires. he even mentioned maybe ordering a 2009!
Yes it is an installed price.

#17 ·

emnel said:
Thanks guys.

How far down south, Maybe he could get one in the states for the employee pricing +$1500 incentive.

#18 ·

bonk1313 said:
emnel said:
Thanks guys.

How far down south, Maybe he could get one in the states for the employee pricing +$1500 incentive.
The 1500 incentive is also available here even on 09's unless it is a factory order for an Employee or I would have also recieved that on our 09 order.

#20 ·

emnel said:
what are you guys talking about. What 1500 incentive? :confused:
Oh there is a 1500 dollar incentive up here it may just be on lease returns that you can recieve and additional 1500 in credit toward the purcahse of the new vehicle. I am sure Craig will tell you all about it when he calls you back whith updates on how he is making out finding the vehicle you want.

#21 ·

I have a feeling it is not looking promising. He said there are very few SLE out there. :eek:hno: Obviously with a clearance deals they are selling well. We should of started looking earlier in the month before they were all picked over I guess. We will talk to him tomorrow.

#22 ·

emnel said:
I have a feeling it is not looking promising. He said there are very few SLE out there. :eek:hno: Obviously with a clearance deals they are selling well. We should of started looking earlier in the month before they were all picked over I guess. We will talk to him tomorrow.
I will give him a shout tomorrow and get any info I can and pass it along to you. Hopefully we can come up with something for your family.

#23 ·
Headrest DVD anyone DIY??

Hi All, I'm still exploring options for rear DVD entertainment in our Acadia. Budget is of utmost importance for this project, so keep that in mind.

I don't have sunroofs in my car and the dome light in my opinion is way too close the the potential viewers in the second row without craning your neck upwards to see the screen plus it blocks the rear view mirror which I really don't like. So I think an overhead unit is out.

There are tons of "universal replacement dvd systems" on eBay that are pretty cheap($150-$300) in price and are probably equally cheap in quality. These Ebay headrests are HUGE, like 11" wide which are are way too big for our 8" wide U shape for the headrest to fit it. So I think those are out of the picture also.

I did however find these: http://www.headrestvideo.com/gallery.html#HR7008ACADIA , they look like OEM headrest with the Audiovox Movies 2 Go system installed in them. This is a 2 DVD system meaning each headrest has its own Touch Screen DVD player so 2 different movies can be viewed at the same time. Audiovox sells the Movies 2 Go system installed in a universal headrest that can be had on eBay for about 400.

I am actually thinking about getting this system and taking it out of the universal headrest it comes in and installing it in a set of OEM leather headrests (which I snagged on eBay for only 45.00 shipped!) The Movies 2 Go system on eBay is a 2 headrest system with ONE DVD player so that's the only major difference, but my kids usually will watch the same movie when on the road. Another reason I like the Audivox system is that the monitors tilt so the viewing angle is better because the headrest tilt forward so much.

Anyone ever do this? Anyone see any potential problems with this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Derek

#24 ·
Re: Headrest DVD anyone DIY??

I could have sworn we had an aftermarket headrest DVD thread here as a sticky- but don't see it now.

I'll find it, make it a sticky, and merge this one into it for reference.

With the lack of support from Invision (OEM makers of the GM systm), I'd lean towards the Audiovox setup you mentioned.

The website you linked sells these in leather for the Acadia for $1320 shipped.

Budget is of utmost importance for this project, so keep that in mind.
Modifying OEM headrests can get expensive! I spent around $160 getting my GM DVD ones recovered in vinyl, but this included covers. I'd get a quote from a shop (if you can find one) to install these and then compare that to the $1320.

#25 ·
Well I don't think I'll have to get these headrest recovered as they are brand new stock leather headrest that I plan to install the Audiovox system in. So really my cost will be the 45.00 I paid for the leather headrest and about 400.00 for the Audiovox Movies 2 Go system. I've found many tutorials online about how to install headrest monitors and it looks pretty straight forward. I guess my unknowns are how the tray that the actual DVD player/monitor fits into is attached to the headrest it comes with and how I will attach it to the OEM headrest. I'm hoping its screwed into the plate in the headrest so I can easily unscrew it and move it into the OEM headrest and secure in the same manner. I'm hoping to do this in the next month or so and I will do a complete tutorial when I do.

BLUE - Do you have pix from your install? How does the seat backs come off? Where do your headrest get power from? I plan to tap power for mine from the cig outlet in the rear of the center console like another person did with their overhead DVD install.

#26 ·
DoubleD09 said:
BLUE - Do you have pix from your install? How does the seat backs come off? Where do your headrest get power from? I plan to tap power for mine from the cig outlet in the rear of the center console like another person did with their overhead DVD install.

This thread should help some
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4075.0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.