GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize it is a matter of preference, but has anyone in their humble opinion "optimized" the equalizer settings on the stereo in an SLT-2?
In addition, I find the FM radio to sound much "fuller" than anything that is coming from XM. All the XM stations sound hollow and distant. I may not subscribe to XM due to that fact. It just doesn't sound good.
Yours,
Pipes

·
Registered
626 Posts
I adjusted mine some, there is not much adjustment.

There has been much discussion about sound quality on the XM forums. As more channels are added with only so much bandwidth, some channel bit rates have suffered.

Listen to the traffic channels, sounds like a tin can. But some of the popular channels have great sound.

Try 20, 27, 76. Those are just a few that will sound sharper than some of the others. You might tune to a channel that you may have to turn the volume up or down.

As a long time XM listener I'll take the choices of music, live concerts, and specials I can't get anywhere else with a less that perfect SQ, than to listen to 20 minutes of commercials an hour & small corperate playlists.

JMO ;D

BTW my channel XM12 has a libairy of about 6000+ songs. When they go on vacation they play the whole thing without a repete. Takes 2 weeks 24/7 8)

XM has around 3 million songs.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I noticed the same issue with sound quality with the Sirius in my 2007 Merc Mountaineer. The music stations are 'just OK', and some of the news/talk stations are downright terrible. I will say that I've gotten used to them - or Sirius has fixed some problems.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I finally got over listening non stop to the 50's and started listening to some other channels. There is a big difference in sound between say the 40's, 50's, 60's stuff and say "Watercolors (71?). On that channel I can hear the subwoofer and I swear about 2 more speakers kick in. I'm guessing that the "early" channels are playing in mono or an AM kinda mode. Anyway there is a huge difference in sound between some of the channels.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If you think about it, the 40's-50's-& 60's were scratchy old records. Not a lot of HiFi tech back in those days. Hearing it like it was :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
The older music from the 40's thru 70's did not have all the mixing and electronic dubbing going on, so they sound a little flat or tinny compared to current music. Listen to old records (remember those) and they sound really different then later music.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Went out earlier today and checked my settings. When playing XM, the EQ setting is set to manual, which sounds pretty good and you can adjust to your liking. The other setting, talk, makes the sound much emptier and no where as good as the manual setting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts