GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Acadia AWD with 19" wheels. Since new, there has been a vibration in the steeing wheel which at highway speeds has a tendency to numbing of the hands. The dealer has had the vehicle in the shop 4 times. First rebalanced wheels/tires, 2nd replaced rear passenger tire, 3rd forced balanced tires/wheels and replace a wheel that needed 10 oz of weight, and finally had the Zone rep look at car and reindexed drive shaft to put the vehicle "within GM tolerances." Unfortunately, the vibration is still present, especially at highway speeds. At this point, GM has closed my file stating that there is nothing more they can do.

The vibration I am experiencing is similar to the vibration in the wheel at idle. All Acadias that I have driven have this idle vibration. but at highway speeds is more apparent.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Seems like its originating from the front member of the AWD unit.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have not experienced this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
have they (the dealer, rep) verified your concern? i know there was a thread or two about trans vibrations, maybe do a search on those and see if they match up. if your hands are going numb because of the car you drive, i would think that is a safety issue. safety always supersedes budget, or at least should. unless it is just a ridiculous claim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scram,

The dealer has verified my concern and the owner of the Dealership has driven the vehicle experiencing the vibration. They (both GM and the Dealership) have indicated that this is a characteristic of the vehicle. Both the dealership owner and I have driven a AWD 2009 and noticed a very slight vibration, consistent with my complaint) at highway speeds above 55 mph.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Saw something recently on here about bad tires.... But I remember hearing something about bad tires a while back too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GAR said:
I have not experienced this.
Me neither.

jgivoo said:
Scram,

The dealer has verified my concern and the owner of the Dealership has driven the vehicle experiencing the vibration. They (both GM and the Dealership) have indicated that this is a characteristic of the vehicle.
Perhaps you could run a poll to gauge this assessment.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
My Acadia doesn't have this vibration at any speed either. Something isn't right.

I like bonk's idea. I would push to have them replace the tires. Or at least have them temporarily swap your wheels and tires with another Acadia on their lot and take it for a test drive to see if the vibration goes away. At the very least it would rule out the tires as a source of the vibration if it still shakes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Put my money on a bent rim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a noticable vibration in the steering wheel since new on my 2007 Acadia without awd. Complained once but got the run around as they said they couldn't feel it. Mainly notice it in ideling. I have just learned to live with it unless someone has an idea.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
DaddyOBest said:
I have had a noticable vibration in the steering wheel since new on my 2007 Acadia without awd. Complained once but got the run around as they said they couldn't feel it. Mainly notice it in ideling. I have just learned to live with it unless someone has an idea.
I would suggest test drive with the service manager for you to point it out to him/her? Your problem is not normal.
If not satisfied, hopefully there is another dealer in your area you can take it too. All service depts are not the same.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Do you feel or hear any sort of popping noise?
Listen very carefully when the car is cold-after sitting all night, when
you first turn the steering wheel.

Just curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rims have been checked and one replaced because of excessive weight from factory when new. Two tires have been replaced.....one by dealer, one by me after some kind citizen slit one of the sidewalls while at sporting event.

Just came back after 900 mile round trip for Thanksgiving. If this is normal, then the Acadia I have is the worst auto I have driven in the past 37 years. Steering wheel vibration now comes and goes at highway speeds. After the clowns reindexed the driveshaft, now vibration from trans shift knob.

As I explained to these numbskulls,...............go grab a vibration etching tool, set to medium and hold for two hours. This is the kind of vibration eminating from my steering wheel. Guess I will go back to the dealer tomorrow and pitch a ***** for the 5th time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
jgivoo said:
I have a 2008 Acadia AWD with 19" wheels. Since new, there has been a vibration in the steeing wheel which at highway speeds has a tendency to numbing of the hands. The dealer has had the vehicle in the shop 4 times. First rebalanced wheels/tires, 2nd replaced rear passenger tire, 3rd forced balanced tires/wheels and replace a wheel that needed 10 oz of weight, and finally had the Zone rep look at car and reindexed drive shaft to put the vehicle "within GM tolerances." Unfortunately, the vibration is still present, especially at highway speeds. At this point, GM has closed my file stating that there is nothing more they can do.

The vibration I am experiencing is similar to the vibration in the wheel at idle. All Acadias that I have driven have this idle vibration. but at highway speeds is more apparent.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Seems like its originating from the front member of the AWD unit.
I have the exact same problems they rebalanced the tires (roadforce) rotated tires and the vibration is still there at highway speeds and they give the same answer " normal" :angryfire: and its because it has wide 19 inch tires? what the hell kind of answer is this! can someone please give me with some ideas on what is causing this? can it be a transmission issue? my vibrates starts @ 50mph/ 80km then again @ 75 mph/120km-when they rebalance my tires one tire had to much wieght and they roadforced it and changes the weight on it but vibration is still there called gm c/s and no help where do I turn? this is not fair.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
SLT09_ACADIA said:
mine is also a FWD can it maybe be the driveshaft?

any mechanics here please? help :help:
I would think that is a remote possibility but not out of the realm FWD or AWD - I believe the front axle is identical in both?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Is it a vibration or a shake? If it is a slight vibration it could be the tires or something out of balance in the drivetrain, if it is more of a shake I would guess an out of balance tire or wheel.

·
Registered
415 Posts
big bear craig said:
Is it a vibration or a shake? If it is a slight vibration it could be the tires or something out of balance in the drivetrain, if it is more of a shake I would guess an out of balance tire or wheel.
hi, thank you for answering it is a slight vibration and have had the dealer do a roadforce balance on the tires as the back tire had to much wieghts on it, but the vibration is still there. They do not want to look at it any more they tell me its normal. But I know it cannot be, everytime i hit 120 km its there, once I get pass that speed its gone and then when I take my foot off the accelerator and as it starts to go down to 120 km I can feel it again, it can also be felt at 80 km a hour but not as bad. If they could fix this issue my car would be perfect and I could enjoy it again. Any ideas. They also did a alignment the first week I had the car as that was off also

Once again I do appreciate your time to read my concern and try to help me out.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Can you try a different dealer? Have you rotated your tires? It doesn't sound like the problem is in the tires but that is the easiest place to start. When the vibration is felt if you put the car in neutral and coast does the vibration still continue?

·
Registered
415 Posts
big bear craig said:
Can you try a different dealer? Have you rotated your tires? It doesn't sound like the problem is in the tires but that is the easiest place to start. When the vibration is felt if you put the car in neutral and coast does the vibration still continue?
I can try another dealer, this is what it states on my last work service order performed

rotate tires, road test, vibration has changed. roadforce balance. rf 5lbs, rr14lbs, lr 25 lbs, lf 12 lbs, spec is 18 lbs max. lr tire is out spec match mount lr tire & roadforce. 10 lbs. Install wheels and roadtest. E0203 (3k) .9+st 1.5=2.4
"

I tried once to put it in neutral at 80 and it was still there 120km I'm to scared to do it on the highway. There is just to much high speed drivers in toronto to perform that. I will try maybe driving out where there is less traffic and try what you suggest-if it continues once in neutral or goes away what would be the issue

thanks

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
big bear craig said:
When the vibration is felt if you put the car in neutral and coast, does the vibration still continue?
I was about to ask much the same thing in order to determine whether the vibration is due to a wheel/tire problem or a drive train issue.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts