GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 2009 AWD that I've been chasing down for a while, and I'm hitting nothing but dead-ends. When driving around 60mph there is a shake that can be felt in the steering wheel. It gets worse when accelerating; you can take your hands off the wheel and watch it shake a good couple degrees. The problem seems to be on the driver's side as you can feel it the most there, on the passenger side its much less pronounced.

I have already bought 4 new tires, had the vehicle aligned twice (by different shops), road-force balanced the tires several times, rotated the tires to different hubs, and had a check for bent rims. Replaced sway bar links, checked tie rod ends, checked wheel bearings. A new steering rack was installed by the dealer a couple months ago.

What else could be causing this? There isn't any noise coming from the CV joints so I'm told to rule that out. Bent front drive shaft? Could it be the transmission/TC? I feel like I've done everything I can with the tires so I have to rule that out. Any ideas? :eek:hno: :angryfire: :help:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios said:
just guessing... Motor mounts?
I've thought that since the day I got it. But I've had two different dealers tell me they are fine. I should take a video of the engine movement (brake on, pulse the gas) and see what people here think.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a 3rd opinion on the engine mounts and they said they are fine. It's weird to me, because the mount in the front right by the oil filter has a good inch of movement in it when you put load on the engine. I guess that's the way it is. :shrug:

I also got the tires replaced with another brand new set. This did improve the overall ride quality but did not affect the 'shaking' at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
having the same issue with vibration @ 60 + mph. One of my outer CV boots has grease on it.. so i'm replacing that. I'm also installing new bearings/hubs & rotors + pads on both front wheels. just put new tires on as well. If none of those things straighten it out I suspect an inner CV failure. All troubleshooting guides point to the inner CV.. i've just been saving that job for last as i don't want to do it. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clarko said:
having the same issue with vibration @ 60 + mph. One of my outer CV boots has grease on it.. so i'm replacing that. I'm also installing new bearings/hubs & rotors + pads on both front wheels. just put new tires on as well. If none of those things straighten it out I suspect an inner CV failure. All troubleshooting guides point to the inner CV.. i've just been saving that job for last as i don't want to do it. :)
Keep us posted on what you've done and what effect it has had. Since my post, I've replaced front pads/rotors and installed new struts and while it rides nicer it didn't effect the shake at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bluevolume said:
Keep us posted on what you've done and what effect it has had. Since my post, I've replaced front pads/rotors and installed new struts and while it rides nicer it didn't effect the shake at all.
Will do. I should mention, with the new rotors on I had 5 hundredths of lateral runout like Jeff95TA was saying. (2 hundredths is the max tolerance) That's why I'm replacing the hubs. You would know straight away if that's your problem, as after a pad / rotor replacement it would ride smooth for a couple thousand miles before the runout wears flat spots on your new rotor a.k.a. warped rotors and the vibration returns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd love to know if you ever found a solution!
Our '10 has the same problems. Shake around 65 mph, and a shudder when accelerating at highway speeds, and especially when downshifting to climb a hill. We've had balances, rotations, alignments, and a new steering gear. No luck. Matter of fact, the steering gear is bad AGAIN :banghead: because, I'm sure, the shake/shudder problem was never fixed, and is putting stress on the steering gear.
I think the key here is that the root cause is exacerbated by acceleration and load (climbing hills).
We're about to try another mechanic (not the dealer that couldn't find the problem), and plan on starting with transmission/motor mount check, rotor replacement, bearing check, driver CV axle replacement. I've also heard maybe the front differential gear? (I know...transaxle). :shrug:

So if bluevolume has found the solution, please share!!!! :help:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with our 2010 slt2. Everyone needs to understand that a front wheel drive vehicle will have some shake in the steering wheel. I had a 2002 40th anniversary Grand Prix that shook like crazy while accelerating over 50 mph. I bought new front driveshafts for both sides and it fixed the shaking. All we can hope for, being Acadia owners is for gm to step up, once again, and admit the front axle assembly wasn't built correctly which creates premature failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
08 acadia

Thanks to everyone for commenting! I have an 08 AWD. I have the same problems-- horrible steering wheel shaking over 60mph but only while going straight! If I slightly turn the steering wheel it all goes away!!! We have had so much checked and replaced just in case but no luck! #flustered

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a shake problem in the wheel intermittently mostly when COLD but sometime over bumps .... My friend said "It's the transaxle grease" He changed many of them and it cured the problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts