GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 SLE. I decided it is usually cheaper to buy less options from the dealer and upgrade certain pieces on your own later especially if you don't want all of the options in a package. I have the DVD with Bose and dual climate control and cruise but no steering wheel audio controls. I have the plastic wheel and could honestly care less about the leather but have been told it comes with the controls. Does anyone know if the connectors for the audio controls are already exist as most of the other connectors do (eg. navigation and DIC buttons and rear camera) because the hole for the wires is in the steering column. Not too crazy about taking the wheel apart to figure this out. Thanks.

*All other posts regarding this were over 4 months old so I figured I'd restart the questions.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know about the acadia but when i worked on GM cars a few years ago they only had one wire harness and all the plugs were there for everything. I doubt that they would make several harnesses because it is too expensive.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
There is only one wire from the control module to the buttons on the steering wheel. I don't think that one wire requires any major connectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured as much. I am going to buy the part and install it myself soon; waiting on the DIC buttons to get here first. I wonder if how to get around the air bag? Disconnect the battery or go for the factory install?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Be careful around the airbags, most have redundant power and will deploy for a period of time after the power is removed.

If you do OK with this, how about tackling cooled seats next? :)

I decided it is usually cheaper to buy less options from the dealer and upgrade certain pieces on your own later especially if you don't want all of the options in a package.
I'm 1,000% with you on that option philosophy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the airbag is what has kept me from ordering the cpntrol swirch already. Hawaii maintenance labor cost is $100 an hour, so nothing to sneeze at. No real need for cooled seats since it is always perfect weather over here.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I would LOVE to have audio controls on my steering wheel. Is this really possible? Please update when you complete this project. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Be careful around the airbags, most have redundant power and will deploy for a period of time after the power is removed.

And that is exactly why I subscribe to the opposite option philosophy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't understand why people are so freaked out about working around airbags. They're not going to deploy if you breath on them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't even like to touch the little thingy that covers the airbag. The one in the passenger side (upper right) headliner, I think maybe in the grab-bar? It has a squarish cover about 1 inch, and mine is ajar, and pops out. I don't even like pushing that thing in for fear that the airbag will explode on me. So your telling me nothing to worry about? :help: I'll be the first to admit I have 2 left thumbs when it comes to these things! :-[

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have opened it numerous times when i installed the nav antenna, install new tweeters, replace speaker wiring..etc..what is behind that cover, that has "airbag" printed, is only a screw that is used to hold the pillar cover in place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an older Toyota and do most of my own work and the repair manual says always disconnect the battery when working around air bags. I am a little skittish around air bags because they are sensitive to many things (as they should be) but loach is correct about them not being overly sensitive. I will buy and install the steering controls later in September; first comes the DIC buttons this month. I will post pictures and the such once done.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
bradgmc said:
Does anyone have the part number for the upgraded leather steering wheel?
Here you go:
Steering Wheel w/ leather

Shows as fitting 2007-2008 (no 2009 listings online yet).

How to find part numbers online:
gmpartsdirect has an online catalog. You can search for what you need and put it in your cart. Once you submit the cart, the part numbers should show up. You don't have to buy from them, and should know that while their prices are lower than everyone else, their shipping costs are way more than everyone else. Always look at the delivered price and time frame for parts. The online catalog is a freebie, though. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Usually if you disconnect the negative on the battery and then grab some tools and come back your okay to start working on the steering wheel airbag. Please post pictures of your new steering wheel or at least let us know if it worked, and what you had to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have noticed that there is a hole cut into the steering wheel for the cruise controls, so I would have to assume that I would have to order the entire steering wheel with both sets of controls attached instead of the radio controls alone. I will talk to the maintenance cats and see what they say about it and let everyone know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The folks at gmpartsdirect gave me some push back and stated part 25875342 is what I needed, but this seems odd.
I'll order 15813150 since I'm getting that information from several sources.

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
bradgmc said:
Does anyone have the part number for the upgraded leather steering wheel?
Here you go:
Steering Wheel w/ leather

Shows as fitting 2007-2008 (no 2009 listings online yet).

How to find part numbers online:
gmpartsdirect has an online catalog. You can search for what you need and put it in your cart. Once you submit the cart, the part numbers should show up. You don't have to buy from them, and should know that while their prices are lower than everyone else, their shipping costs are way more than everyone else. Always look at the delivered price and time frame for parts. The online catalog is a freebie, though. :D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
With the 2009, you get power seats, leather steering wheel,
wheel mounted audio, and blue tooth. Sounds well worth the $640.
What is the steering wheel with audio going to cost?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was supposed to ask the maintenance people when I did my 5k checkup but got a little heated with them when they wanted to charge $200 for what amounts to a "once over" of the vehicle and an oil/oil filter change and $120 for a TCM reflash. (different blog) Anyways, will look into it and let you know if the wheel comes with those parts.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
The Tech 2 device they use to reflash costs thousands of dollars- they are usually over $2K used on ebay. I guess they have to make this up somewhere. Service/parts are usually a fairly profitable portion of the dealer's operations. We had a discussion on another forum about how much Dodge dealers were marking up parts over MSRP for sale to retail customers. Just like with anything else, an informed customer will not pay those prices if someone else is selling the same thing cheaper delivered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts