GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Acadia and like others the steering wheel tilts up and down. Behind the steering wheel at the base of the column there is a plastic piece that rolls up and down to hide the mechanical section at the end of the steering column. Last year during the deep freeze in Texas that plastic cover snapped in half… The question I have is how do you replace that plastic piece. I have ordered and received that specific part from GM but it looks like if I’m not mistaken the whole column assembly will have to be removed in order to replace that specific piece. Does anybody else have any information that could possibly help… Thank you in advance
Bill

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am not familiar with your specific column but most I have encountered generally did not require the column to be removed,

Might check for a YouTube video as often the may have your model or a similar model to compare.

I believe the wheel and the switch arms come off and it slides over the front.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think this may be what you are looking for. Not hard , just will tske some time and the column does not need to come out. Just be careful on the plastic so another part does not break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 Acadia and like others the steering wheel tilts up and down. Behind the steering wheel at the base of the column there is a plastic piece that rolls up and down to hide the mechanical section at the end of the steering column. Last year during the deep freeze in Texas that plastic cover snapped in half… The question I have is how do you replace that plastic piece. I have ordered and received that specific part from GM but it looks like if I’m not mistaken the whole column assembly will have to be removed in order to replace that specific piece. Does anybody else have any information that could possibly help… Thank you in advance
Bill
Bill, my 2011 Acadia suffered the same thing just this morning in the frigid PA winter. It had always been stiff in the cold, now the louvered top section ripped wide open. Looks like an easy part to obtain, my question to you is have you done the repair yourself or did you end up getting it fixed somewhere? thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this may be what you are looking for. Not hard , just will tske some time and the column does not need to come out. Just be careful on the plastic so another part does not break.

shows how to get to it but I still don't know how to get the back cover off... it's the piece that slodes up and down with teh colum as you move it to hide the mechanical area behind the column

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill, my 2011 Acadia suffered the same thing just this morning in the frigid PA winter. It had always been stiff in the cold, now the louvered top section ripped wide open. Looks like an easy part to obtain, my question to you is have you done the repair yourself or did you end up getting it fixed somewhere? thanks!!
I am finally talking to a mechanic to see what he will charge to replace it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am not familiar with your specific column but most I have encountered generally did not require the column to be removed,

Might check for a YouTube video as often the may have your model or a similar model to compare.

I believe the wheel and the switch arms come off and it slides over the front.
yeah just seems like it's going to cost more than it's worth but I can't stand things not to be fixed...lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am finally talking to a mechanic to see what he will charge to replace it...
I couldn't take driving around looking straight into the gaping hole at the end of my column any more. Plus, I was looking to trade her in the near future and it looked like heck in that condition. I bought the OEM part on-line $54 and went to my local auto body shop with part in hand. Charged me $368 total for the job. Good as new! Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I couldn't take driving around looking straight into the gaping hole at the end of my column any more. Plus, I was looking to trade her in the near future and it looked like heck in that condition. I bought the OEM part on-line $54 and went to my local auto body shop with part in hand. Charged me $368 total for the job. Good as new! Good luck!
Where do you find the part online? I haven’t been able to find anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts