GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a noticeable thumping/popping noise when I turned the steering wheel at low speeds and even when the car wasn't moving. Just turning the steering wheel back and forth about 2 inches in each direction would make the thump. You could "feel" it on the floor. The thumping was much more pronounced when it was colder.

I had no other symptoms- no power steering pump whine, loss of power assist or anything else. Dealer lubed the intermediate steering shaft about 2 weeks ago but it didn't do anything. The thumping was still there.

I just had the steering rack replaced by them and the thumping is gone! My service guy said that there was an internal defect/problem in the rack.

A copy of my invoice is attached; hopefully it helps others with this problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I'm glad that you got your problem fixed and it didn't turn into a 8) with the dealer. When the dealer can duplicate the problem; you chance for a good fix increases tremendously.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Thanks for posting this!

You have great timing, as I just brought mine in today with
a similar issue. I brought a copy of this thread and your invoice to the dealer.
I am getting a click/pop noise when cold, but only on the initial turns of the steering wheel.
I know some users had their steering columns replaced and that fixed their problem.
I will post the dealers diagnosis of the issue when I get their call.

Thanks again for the post!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
they fixed ours by replacing the column. i bet it was the same sound, wonder why two different fixes. our bolts were loose/stretched, who knows?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Schram said:
they fixed ours by replacing the column. i bet it was the same sound, wonder why two different fixes. our bolts were loose/stretched, who knows?
You know it's funny you mention loose/stretched bolts, my driver's seat bolts had the same "problem". I find it hard to believe that these bolts "stretch" under loads although I do realize this is possible. Must be some kind of coincidence

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
jsimms said:
Schram said:
You know it's funny you mention loose/stretched bolts, my driver's seat bolts had the same "problem". I find it hard to believe that these bolts "stretch" under loads although I do realize this is possible. Must be some kind of coincidence
Wonder if they are Made in China bolts?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Bless you :angel:!! Maybe now my dealer won't think I am a total nutso. The only difference in my popping sound is that when it is cold, the popping stops and I get a rubbing noise. It sounds like leather mashing together. I'm going to try you fix.

Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
jsimms said:
That most likely means they were over torqued.

A properly torqued bolt or screw will stretch, that is normal, and is what holds it tight.

Once a bolt is over torqued, it gets a permanant stretch, and does not go back to its normal length.
This also weakens a bolt and can lead to breakage, which is why it is important to use a torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
jsimms said:
That most likely means they were over torqued.

A properly torqued bolt or screw will stretch, that is normal, and is what holds it tight.

Once a bolt is over torqued, it gets a permanant stretch, and does not go back to its normal length.
This also weakens a bolt and can lead to breakage, which is why it is important to use a torque wrench.
Duh, I didn't even think of that. :tard: Makes sense.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well, they didn't find anything with the steering, no surprise there. :eek:hno:
Now I have to drop it off again, and leave it overnight, so they can hopefully
hear the noise that will only happen once when cold overnight.:eek:hno:

They didn't remount the windshield, don't know why.
They only confirmed it needs to be remounted, yet I told them that before I brought the car in. :eek:hno:
I think they didn't do anywork, because the have to order the molding that goes in front of
the roof rails, and they have to make an appoitment to have the windshield remounted
by an independant shop :banghead:

Why did I even take the day off work to drop the car! :banghead: :angryfire:

Oh well.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
When you leave it overnight; make sure you get a good rental

Like a G8 or maybe a CTS

·
Registered
423 Posts
GeoHawk said:
jsimms said:
Schram said:
Wonder if they are Made in China bolts?
you bet those are china made. they are over torqued. somethings need to have a little more attention given to, but i am sure they will figure out the value of a good bolt soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.