GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 SLT noticed right before 36,000 miles...intermittant, seemed to happen more in the afternoons....clicking noise when turning left or right, not grinding, could not feel it in the wheel. After researching on this forum - I realized I better RUN to the dealer. I was over 36K but they gave me fudge room on my mileage! Ended up replacing the column - same day repair, they wouldn't say much but it was obvious they had seen this before....NO CHARGE!!!

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
There is a TSB on this - steering shaft part replacement. I had it done many months ago and it resolved the problem. Search the forum for more info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hope you have better luck then I did. Currently my 3rd steering column is on backorder from GM.

Hopefully then can get it right this time.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For some, the column fixed the problem. Though others need the rack replaced.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Our 07 just started acting up with the clicking or popping sound every time I turn the steering wheel. I am holding off on the $1000.00 repair. Maybe will wear itself out. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Our rack was replaced a few months ago, and now I have the clicking and popping sound. Definately sounds like it is coming from the column, and sometimes you can even feel it in the wheel. It's going in tomorrow to be looked at.

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
tdrumm said:
Our rack was replaced a few months ago, and now I have the clicking and popping sound. Definately sounds like it is coming from the column, and sometimes you can even feel it in the wheel. It's going in tomorrow to be looked at.
I hope your concerns with your Acadia will get resolved tomorrow.

Did you have the rack replaced at a General Motors dealership? If so, you should have a 12 months or 12,000 mile warranty on the parts and labor.

Please, let me know how thing go.

Michelle, GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
492 Posts
tdrumm said:
Does the clicking sound like a zip-tie?

Steering issues need to be addressed by following the TSB, either which requires a new rack (P10029F) or new pinion housing only (P10029G), followed by installing a larger PS hose and introducing Dexron VI fluid (vs. the "standard" GM red PS fluid).

In reviewing your work order, did they just replace the rack, or did they follow the TSB? I'm assuming the former and not the latter. Here's an example of the TSB called out on the W/O:

CAUSE: CHECKED FOR BULLETINS, #P10029F RUBBING NOISE. NEEDS STEERING GEAR HOUSING, HOSE AND UPDATED FLUID
CORRECTION: INSTALLED GEAR HOUSING, HOSE AND RECOMMENDED FLUID, FLUSHED SYSTEM OF OLD FLUID. MAY TAKE THE TIME TO GET ALL TRAPPED AIR OUT. MUST SETTLE OVR NT.

My '09 had the zip-tie sound (would come-and-go), a leaking steering rack at the bellows, and a groaning PS pump. Rev F of the TSB was performed - I have 3,000 miles completed since the repair, and no further steering issues :cheers:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
The clicking sound is generally something called the intermediate steering shaft I believe. There is a TSB on that as well.

·
Registered
492 Posts
mikemu said:
The clicking sound is generally something called the intermediate steering shaft I believe. There is a TSB on that as well.
From the actual replacement scenarios I've seen in all the Lambda forums, I've not seen too much success with those who had the intermediate shaft replaced for the clicking sound, have you?

In many cases, the clicking sound originates from the steering rack pinion (housing). The clicking is transmitted up the steering shaft to the steering wheel. TSB P10029F addresses the issue by performing a steering (gear) rack replacement, installing a larger inlet hose, and introducing Dexron VI fluid. Rev. G of the TSB was issued this year, which allows the steering rack to NOT be replaced, however, the pinion housing, which is part of the steering rack, does get replaced, along with the inlet hose and the Dexron VI. Rev G was issued probably to save GM part replacement cost of the steering rack, when the pinion housing replacement accomplishes the same thing. Although in my case, the steering rack was leaking from under the bellows, so my dealer installed a new steering rack. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Mine was replaced several years ago and the noise never came back. Success :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts