GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced rattles in the steering column and / or dashboard? Started around 5k miles and it seems to be getting worse. Brought it into the dealer and he said he couldn't hear it. Meanwhile everyone who drives with me comments on how annoying it is. Have the 19 inch wheels which are a much firmer ride. Not sure if that is contributing to it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Next time, when you take the car in, have the Service Mgr you take it out for a test drive. Point out the rattles to him! That should convince him to instruct the tech to find and fix. Make sure he test drives for you before you pick the car up. If he hasn't, both take a test drive together when you pick it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I am going to do. It's odd because the steering column rattle used to happen on just deceleration but now it is happening more. I had the headliner reattached at 2k miles. they said that several adhesive points had been missed. When I told them about the rattles they asked what size wheels I had which makes me wonder if other people are complaining about the 19 inch wheels. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
barneson, sorry to hear about your rattle issue. Squeaks and rattles in a new car can/will drive you nuts especially after you've just shelled out around $35K-$45K. I hope you can find resolution when you take it your service manager.

I have zero squeaks and rattles in mine and I've put on approx 9.5K miles so far. I have the 18 inch wheels and
the ride is very smooth. I drove an acadia with the 19 inch wheels and the ride is definitely firmer. Could the
firmer ride with the 19 inch wheels translate to more squeaks in the cabin over time? I am not qualified to say.
What I will say is that a less firm ride working in concert with the car's shock absorbing system would produce
less jarring in the cabin.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your response. I am in Atlanta on business and rented an Outlook with 18 inch wheels. It is a totally different ride. Much, much smoother. I was wondering if the dealer could give me a low price on getting the 18 inch wheels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2007 ST2 rattles on the passenger side of the center column. If I reach over and push on that little storage area the rattle stops. It's annoying but I just turn the radio up.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
eztarget said:
My 2007 ST2 rattles on the passenger side of the center column. If I reach over and push on that little storage area the rattle stops. It's annoying but I just turn the radio up.
:rock:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some of GM's rattles in the steering column can be attributable to faulty intermediate shafts in the column (especially those associated with acceleration/deceleration or turning). This is not a safety issue. Just a part that that has had some quality control issues. The fix is to replace the steering shaft that is under the hood. Might be worth mentioning to your service advisor.

·
Registered
487 Posts
xseler said:
Some of GM's rattles in the steering column can be attributable to faulty intermediate shafts in the column (especially those associated with acceleration/deceleration or turning). This is not a safety issue. Just a part that that has had some quality control issues. The fix is to replace the steering shaft that is under the hood. Might be worth mentioning to your service advisor.
I know this was a problem on truck and suvs, but I don't think I've ever heard of it on an Acadia. The rattle associated with the intermediate steering shaft isn't really a rattle so much as the steering feels loose and sometimes makes a little noise.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had an '05 GMC Canyon pickup that had a 'popping' noise from the front end (dealer couldn't duplicate). After some time under the truck, I found that steering rack & pinion had 2 loose bolts that held it to the frame -- it only had 4 bolts. After I tightened the bolts, the noice disappeared.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
xseler said:
I had an '05 GMC Canyon pickup that had a 'popping' noise from the front end (dealer couldn't duplicate). After some time under the truck, I found that steering rack & pinion had 2 loose bolts that held it to the frame -- it only had 4 bolts. After I tightened the bolts, the noice disappeared.
Wow, you'd think the dealer would be able to find something like that.

·
Registered
956 Posts
My Acadia also rattles and is the thing I dislike about it most. May not be true, but rattles are usually associated with poor quality. One thing that rattles on mine is the shifter button to select lower gears.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
barneson said:
Has anyone experienced rattles in the steering column and / or dashboard? Started around 5k miles and it seems to be getting worse. Brought it into the dealer and he said he couldn't hear it. Meanwhile everyone who drives with me comments on how annoying it is. Have the 19 inch wheels which are a much firmer ride. Not sure if that is contributing to it.
Definitely take your service writer for a ride and point the noise out to him (her). It's even better if you take the technician (who first tried to find the problem) along with you. Don't give up until you succeed with them locating the problem while you're driving the vehicle. That way you'll have someone else to hold specific parts that could be loose or to bend down and listen better without the distraction of keeping your vehicle on the road. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I thought I heard a rattle noise or squeaking on my dashboard, but realized it was only the GPS mount that was making noise.
I have read this and determined a few things.

1) My vehicle was built with superior quality and I have no rattles in the entire vehicle. :thumb: ;D :cheers: :beer: :blob:
2) or you members hearing noises have exceptional hearing abilites (or it is really just the voices in your head your hearing)
3) Or I am deaf?!

Either way, I am happy with my Acadia, I have no ODD noises coming from it and wish you all the best of luck getting your little noises taken care of :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I thought I heard a rattle noise or squeaking on my dashboard, but realized it was only the GPS mount that was making noise.
Either way, I am happy with my Acadia, I have no ODD noises coming from it and wish you all the best of luck getting your little noises taken care of :thumb:
Bonk, I thought your 3 points were a bit demeaning to those members with real issues. Sometimes stuff really happens in the assembly process, i.e. tools are left inside hidden places, spare parts are tossed into a dash or under the hood, bushings are missing, the list goes on. On the other hand, I've witnessed a few RO write-ups where the dealer's technician "tightens the nut behind the wheel" and the customer drives away happy - never to return for the same problem.

I'm pleased with my Acadia, too. The programming faux pas in the 6-speed trans has been resolved, the washer fluid heater won't catch fire now, the wipers can lift the snow off the windshield, and water from the sunroof won't leak into the interior from the end of too-short drain tubes. I agree the Acadia is a quality-built vehicle - I do, however, take issue with "superior." Some of the new toys needed a bit more testing and refinement from Cadillac owners before they were put into a GMC.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
speleos said:
bonk1313 said:
Bonk, I thought your 3 points were a bit demeaning to those members with real issues. Sometimes stuff really happens in the assembly process, i.e. tools are left inside hidden places, spare parts are tossed into a dash or under the hood, bushings are missing, the list goes on. On the other hand, I've witnessed a few RO write-ups where the dealer's technician "tightens the nut behind the wheel" and the customer drives away happy - never to return for the same problem.

I'm pleased with my Acadia, too. The programming faux pas in the 6-speed trans has been resolved, the washer fluid heater won't catch fire now, the wipers can lift the snow off the windshield, and water from the sunroof won't leak into the interior from the end of too-short drain tubes. I agree the Acadia is a quality-built vehicle - I do, however, take issue with "superior." Some of the new toys needed a bit more testing and refinement from Cadillac owners before they were put into a GMC.
My post was not meant to be demeaning.

I was just trying to say that I don't have any noise problems or concerns from any areas of my vehicle. I understand that things can happen and that there are lists of issues. I am not trying to accuse any of our members of this, but sometimes people will hear a problem because they are looking for a problem. I was just trying to speak for the people that don't have any problems, so that the future Acadia customers/shoppers don't think that all Acadias have Steering column and dash rattles.

speleos said:
I agree the Acadia is a quality-built vehicle - I do, however, take issue with "superior."
According to Webster Dictionary?
Definition #2 of "superior"
: of higher rank, quality, or importance

According to Webster Dictionary
Definition #2A of "[urlhttp://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quality]Quality[/url]"
: degree of excellence
Definition #2b of "[urlhttp://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quality]Quality[/url]"
: superiority in kind

So I guess really they are the same.

Once again the context of the statement was not taken as intended, a downfall to reading ones word, rather then hearing it from their mouth to really understand the anticipated meaning.

As I said previously, Good luck to all those having the noise problems, I hope you get it taken care of.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the infamous dash rattle on the drivers side at the base of the A-pillar that so many spoke of . I first noticed it at less than 500 miles when I drove over some center line reflectors. When I would hear the rattle or vibration, if I applied a little pressure to the dash or the base of the A-pillar trim, it would stop. It annoyed the heck out of me so I decided to fix it myself. I slipped two small cut outs of clear vinyl hose between the edge of the dash and the base of the A-pillar trim and that took care of it. I am not sure what they would do at the dealership, but I didnt feel like waiting an hour or more, so I dealt with it.

·
Super Moderator
22,619 Posts
Cool Deal, Bonk. Glad Mr. Webster helped us out. The Acadia is still an outstanding vehicle and I'd recommend one to any of my friends.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have had at least three or four different rattles in mine. One was the A pillar which I fixed, one was in the console which I fixed, one is in the shifter lever button which I have not fixed, and one is somewhere in the dashboard which has not been found. When the vehicle is driven on rough roads or over over the dot strips, the dash sounds very cheap. Too many cheap plastics are used in this car. It drives fine and has a lot of space, but it doesn't have the quality feel and sound that other cars I have owned or driven have had. It's a decent $30,000 car, but it is way out of it's league at $35,000 and above.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
bbc - I am so sorry to hear about your noises. That just sucks. Nothing bothers me more than a car with squeaks and rattles. For us, the Acadia has been the quietest most rock solid car we have ever owned. I hope you get all your noises resolved.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.