GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Acadia Denali & it is showing the Steering Assist Error Message which I believe is something with the Thermostat. Can someone please quickly explain the cause of this problem & what the Solution is? I want to be able to present it to the dealer if they try and tell me the problem I'm having is something else.

Thank you,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
23,539 Posts
Reactions: Nick19

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2018 Acadia Denali & it is showing the Steering Assist Error Message which I believe is something with the Thermostat. Can someone please quickly explain the cause of this problem & what the Solution is? I want to be able to present it to the dealer if they try and tell me the problem I'm having is something else.

Thank you,

Dan
I am having this issue now with my 2019 Acadia. Were you able to get the issue resolved?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having this issue now with my 2019 Acadia. Were you able to get the issue resolved?
Had the same problem back in June and before message would come on then go off then it came on consistently air conditioner shut down. Research the issue tried a few fixes the one I found at work or my problem was the battery terminals need to be cleaned and tightened. Once that was done the problem was fixed so far the last three months have been good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem back in June and before message would come on then go off then it came on consistently air conditioner shut down. Research the issue tried a few fixes the one I found at work or my problem was the battery terminals need to be cleaned and tightened. Once that was done the problem was fixed so far the last three months have been good.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Good on @Gary1p for replying and helping out . (y)
It's a good time of year to check the batter and cable connections. Especially as a vehicle ages, electrical gremlins of all sorts creep in.
The electrical systems on today's vehicles can be affected by some relatively small and sometimes difficult to locate causes and may seem unrelated to an issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good on @Gary1p for replying and helping out . (y)
It's a good time of year to check the batter and cable connections. Especially as a vehicle ages, electrical gremlins of all sorts creep in.
The electrical systems on today's vehicles can be affected by some relatively small and sometimes difficult to locate causes and may seem unrelated to an issue.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
23,539 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thank you,

Dan
I just saw this same message come up on my 2017 Acadia this morning. I was wondering what this problem was. I went to start up my truck this evening and no messages on the dashboard. This had me puzzled as here it is the week of Thanksgiving and we are scheduled to hit the road later this week. Trying to get into the dealership and of course no available appointments.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just saw this same message come up on my 2017 Acadia this morning. I was wondering what this problem was. I went to start up my truck this evening and no messages on the dashboard. This had me puzzled as here it is the week of Thanksgiving and we are scheduled to hit the road later this week. Trying to get into the dealership and of course no available appointments.
I have a 2020 and experienced this twice but I was wondering if anybody has had other issues while the message was up. I had several other issues as well.
Auto Start stops working
Check Engine light blinks
Strange Noise from Engine
Engine runs rough
Emergency brake sets when in park
Has anybody seen this?

I tried to stop at the local GMC dealership while this was happening and was told I needed an appointment but he did check for error codes and there were none, The second time it happened stop at auto parts store again no error codes. I did keep the engine running both times. very frustrating
Thanks
Wnova

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for the tip. Took me down the rabbit hole of cleaning the terminal that had corrosion and took the battery terminal off, let it sit for about an hour, came back, hooked it up and wouldn’t even turn over. Jumped it off, Steering message went away, A/C was working and the radiator fan wasn’t running full blast. Purchased a new battery, installed it and amazingly everything works as before. Such a strange issue to have with a bad battery.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
thanks for the tip. Took me down the rabbit hole of cleaning the terminal that had corrosion and took the battery terminal off, let it sit for about an hour, came back, hooked it up and wouldn’t even turn over. Jumped it off, Steering message went away, A/C was working and the radiator fan wasn’t running full blast. Purchased a new battery, installed it and amazingly everything works as before. Such a strange issue to have with a bad battery.
One reason why it is wise to inspect and clean . . . apply battery post grease annually. This should be routine maintenance on any vehicle, but especially on newer vehicles that are sensitive to any loss of battery voltage and power.

Any sign of corrosion should be cleaned removed, and it is even best to replace a battery every 3 to 5 years depending on whether you drive mainly short trips and the battery never gets fully charged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Read through these two threads: Electric power steering assist warning and 2017 Acadia, " Steering Assist Reduced Drive with care" message. There may be others linked inside the discussion or available to you if you search the forum with keywords "Steering Assist Reduced." Be sure the threads you read are about the 2017+ model years with electric power steering. Good luck at the dealership.
Took to dealership. Advisor indicated thermostat needed replacement. $1400.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 and experienced this twice but I was wondering if anybody has had other issues while the message was up. I had several other issues as well.
Auto Start stops working
Check Engine light blinks
Strange Noise from Engine
Engine runs rough
Emergency brake sets when in park
Has anybody seen this?

I tried to stop at the local GMC dealership while this was happening and was told I needed an appointment but he did check for error codes and there were none, The second time it happened stop at auto parts store again no error codes. I did keep the engine running both times. very frustrating
Thanks
Wnova
Did you get your issue fixed?
I just received the same message about steering assist and my emergency brake would auto engage when putting in park.
From what I've read online it's either the thermostat or battery

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having same issue with steering assist reduced & no temp indication.

Already replaced temp sending unit.
Some confuse temp. sending unit with thermostat. They are in same area location. I bought a thermostat & tube, but was able to just replace the sending unit without pulling the thermostat tube out of the way so they are still in the box.

I don't suspect the thermostat because the engine is cooling, although an air pocket around the sending unit from coolant not circulating is plausible. This would give a low reading, but not no reading at all?

I have checked the sending unit wiring all the way to the computer & reseated plugs.

When I disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, all is well again. The battery connections are all good & battery is only a couple years old (this means nothing nowadays).

I'd like to hear feedback from people who have corrected this issue, but a year or so down the road. Not within a week of replacing or correcting something when it could pop back up a month down the road. Not a lot of info on this.

These vehicles are prone to computer glitch's and need reset way to often, (not as often as my CTS) could this be the case with this issue???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get your issue fixed?
I just received the same message about steering assist and my emergency brake would auto engage when putting in park.
From what I've read online it's either the thermostat or battery
I'm Still fighting the issue. About the gentleman who had all the other issues, keep it basic: Clean/Grease/Tighten Batt. terminals, have the batt checked. Reseat Computer & control module connections if batt check's don't correct it. (gentle with the plugs, take your time & have Batt disconnected)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Acadia is at the dealership with this problem. They said the thermostat needs to be changed. Had to order a part and won’t be in until tomorrow morning. Said its a 5 hour job. 😳
I just replaced the battery and still am having this error message. I have a 2018 Acadia. Did they give you an estimate for the thermostat?

·
Super Moderator
23,539 Posts
... Did they give you an estimate for the thermostat?
There's one in reply #13. You should be able to find others in various threads about the topic. Cost of repair may be different for you depending on local labor rates.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts