GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 08 Acadia in the end of October. I have taken it to a touchless carwash a couple of times to get a quick rinse. When the spray arm rotates around the car and comes to the front grill large amounts of steam come pouring out like it is overheating. This will continue as I drive down the road for the next 5 minutes. It really looks bad when stopped at a traffic signal and steam pours out of my hood.
Has anyone else had this problem?
I never had this problem on my 04 Envoy XUV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, same problem...my local auto wash shoots water from the front at a slight up angle. Water is getting in, but I have not solved yet.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I don't know if I'd call it a problem or not. This happens to my Acadia as well when it is cooler out and it happened to our Odyssey too when we had it. It doesn't do it to my truck though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The other day when it was raining, I noticed a bit of steam coming off the front grill as well. One of these days I'll have a closer inspection at the front grill to see what hot part the water might be landing on, but in the meantime, I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine steams coming out of the carwash, or in a cold rain. With the grille being sloped back as it is, relatively tall and high up, cold water is splashing on the radiator, and creating steam. It's sort of annoying, as I've never had another vehicle that does this, but in the greater scheme of things, it's no big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that is probably no problem mechanically or operationally for the vehicle. It’s just embarrassing to sit at a stop light in a brand new car with steam pouring out from under the hood.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The hot part is probably the radiator. One thing I noticed myself is the tight engine comparment. Pop your hood sometime after coming home and see how much heat comes out for a good period of time. There is not much room for airflow and I wonder myself if the temps are going to play on effect on components later on.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It also has an exhaust pipe right between the radiator and the engine. That gets pretty hot even at idle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
First Car Wash this weekend,
And I am glad I read this thread because man does the front end steam when you get out of there...
:blob:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree. It was nice to have read this on the forum before my first was. When the steam came out, I just smiled!! :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
welcome to the "smokers" club..... ;D

done the skid plate/ splash guard TSB last week, found out mine doesnt have one at all --- :angryfire:.

the water for the underbody wash sprays directly and pool behind the exhaust manifold, add the tight fit between the grille and the radiator and VOILA --- 15minutes of fame -- err i mean steam!!! :-[ :-\

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
SioXie - Can you take a picture of the skid plate / splash guard so I can quick look and see if mine has it there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The steam comes from the exhaust manifold so close to the grill. I wouldn't want to do this too regularly as you risk cracking your manifold with cold water spaying on the hottest part of your engine. Some of you guys should be hand washing your car anyways has the paint hasn't fully cured until you have had it for a couple of months. But the car wash is also good has it gets under the car if you've driving in salt. Just try and let the engine cool off a little before running into a touch less. GMC should offer a plastic cover for the grill for this :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same problem, pretty embarassing as you are going through a drive up after a wash and everyone is staring at you. :banghead: Any way after lunch I took the radiator cover off and on top of the radiator there was a channel mount bracket was happens to have 3 or 4 good size holes in it letting water coming through the grill run right in the center of the radiator and cooler. Yes just like a funnel. I then got out my caulk gun and caulked these holes shut. Next time no more steam! Have not had a problem since. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
I happened to have the camera readily available

Conditions...
I washed the Traverse the night before.
WHen I finished it was dark.
Overnight- too cool for moisture to eveporate from condenser/radiator area.
I had the vehicle set to remote start- with AC to clear the windshield.
When I walked out to car-- I saw the steam rising.
RIght after I snapped pics-- the fans came on-- and the steam was sucked into the engine bay....

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
rbarrios said:
I happened to have the camera readily available

Conditions...
I washed the Traverse the night before.
WHen I finished it was dark.
Overnight- too cool for moisture to eveporate from condenser/radiator area.
I had the vehicle set to remote start- with AC to clear the windshield.
When I walked out to car-- I saw the steam rising.
RIght after I snapped pics-- the fans came on-- and the steam was sucked into the engine bay....

I hate you right now :angryfire: LOL

I have been going outside every few hours to clear snow off my grill, windows, and lights :angryfire:

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
rbarrios said:
Your neighbor has an ugly van :thumbdown:

Only contractors should have white panel vans, and no windows!!!

And that is a huge slider, I didn't know they still had a slider available, my last panel van had barn doors at the side.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
This happens with my Acadia also. The first time it happened I was in traffic on a rainy day and when I came to a stop, I saw the steam coming out. Looked under the hood and that all the hoses and the radiator was OK so I just chalked it up to the rain hitting the hot radiator.

Also, if you do a search on this topic you will find that it has been discussed before.

Nothing to worry about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts