GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Does anyone know if 2019 Acadia has stainless exhaust? Most vehicles do these days but I can't find any detailed specs on the 2nd gen's...
I've noticed on more and more GM (and other brands) vehicles that there has been a switch away from stainless steel for all or parts of the exhaust systems.
I haven;t looked closely at our 2019 Acadia, but the rear "bread box" mufflers appear to be aluminized steel.
I see these exhausts lasting maybe 8 to 10 years before possibly needing replacement. What often rusts out first, though, is the "flex" pipe which connects the rest of the exhaust system to the exhaust manifold. That can happen in as little as 5 or 6 years depending on type of driving and environment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I never noticed a trend to stainless, but haven't really been watching. I thought mostly only sports cars got SS
The flex portion, is that mostly for ease of assembly? Or to minimize vibrations? No surprise at all they'd go first!

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
I never noticed a trend to stainless, but haven't really been watching. I thought mostly only sports cars got SS
Car manufacturers have been using stainless steel in exhaust systems for years. There's quite a discussion about it in earlier posts on the forum. Here's one: Acadia Exhaust. It would be interesting to know if they switched to one of these products: ALUMINIZED 409 AND 439 STAINLESS STEEL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Titanium would be extremely expensive for an exhaust part.

George
At the time, Chevrolet did pretty much everything they could to reduce weight on the Z06. Thinner windshield, ti exhaust, coupe roofline only... got it to a hair over 3100#, later models gained weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Stainless" only means it's less susceptible to corrosion.
I have worked at a company producing OEM exhaust parts for 20 years and every part we have made is stainless steel.
Speleos is right. Typical exhaust parts from the catalytic converters back are 409 grade stainless steel. It is the least exspensive. Some have aluminized coating and some without. The coating is often one of the first items to be removed after a couple years of production to save cost.
Some newer programs are using 439 stainless steel which has better high temperature corrosion resistance.

409 stainless will show signs of red rust on the surface after a relative short time of use, so many people confuse it with plain carbon steel

I have no problems or see a reason to replace the exhaust on my 2007 Acadia after 12 years of use and Michigan winters with copious salt on the roads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
Heg87T
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing