GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it may not be the prettiest way to look at it, but at least I got it on here. If anybody wants the file for printing so they can do the install, PM me and I will email you the larger PDF file.

This is for owners of the below vehicles in which you have upgraded to 20" wheels. GM recommends that you replace your current front stabilizer bar with this larger one for "vehicle handling purposes". The part number is 19166517 and can be purchased at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com for $102.85. Your local dealership can also order and install this for you, but for those on a budget or mechanically inclined this information may be useful for you. I got this information directly from my local GMC dealership.

Only required for the following vehicles per GM. [/color]

Saturn Outlook AWD w/18" tires
GMC Acadia AWD w/18" tires
Buick Enclave AWD w/18" tires
Buick Enclave AWD w/19" tires

Pages 1-4 of the install proces are here. Final page on next post...

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Stabilizer Bar Install info...for upgrading to 20" wheels

Here is the last page of the install process.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Stabilizer Bar Install info...for upgrading to 20" wheels

big bear craig said:
Why are you installing a new bar? Better handling?
Sorry I modified my original post to make this more clear. Those of us following the 20" aftermarket wheel thread have been discussing this and I ignored the fact that others may view the post as well.

·
Registered
812 Posts
thanks for the info imgntht!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah thanks for the info imgntht.

Wow that's a lot more involved then the usual stabilizer bar I'm accustomed to on most vehicles. Wonder how much in labor a dealer would charge for such an install.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm glad I read this thread, didn't know that needed an upgrade. I plan on getting some 22s in the summer. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Tomahawk said:
I'm glad I read this thread, didn't know that needed an upgrade. I plan on getting some 22s in the summer. Thanks for the info.
If you have factory 19's it looks like you don't need or already have the upgrade.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you have factory 19's it looks like you don't need or already have the upgrade.
OK cool thanks for saving me some cash in the future

·
Registered
7 Posts
In response to Rufio .... I just had the Stabilizer Bar kit installed in my 2008 and the GM Dealer charged $100 (2 hours) for labor. I am going from my stock 18's to 20's and in doing my research it was strongly advised to add the Bar. If you have factory 19's, then the Bar kit has already been added.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Re: Stabilizer Bar Install info

big bear craig said:
Why are you installing a new bar? Better handling?
Actually the sad thing about this, as anyone who has spent time modifying suspensions knows, is that by increasing the front stabilizer bar and not the back, you are actually adding more understeer to the chassis (or to be more precise, shifting the handling balance further in the understeer direction). In GM's world, this is the same as adding more stability, and is undoubtedly endorsed by their legal department, but a front bar only upgrade is not something that most would consider a performance upgrade.
I would bet the real reason for this is that the shorter, stiffer tire sidewalls used with the the larger diameter wheels, the onset of rear breakaway would be more abrubt under certain emergency conditions (possibly below the sensitivity of the electronic stabilization) and they are choosing to counter that tendancy by tuning towards additional understeer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
imgntht---

Great post...You too have saved me some cash...looks like I don't need the upgrade after all..
thanks for the $$$$$

1 - 13 of 13 Posts