GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my used Acadia... It does have a check engine light but honestly I don't think an oxygen sensor will affect stabilitrak... But my issue is occuring at two different styles of driving... 100% of the time when I am braking WHILE steering or turning left.... And recently has started at low speed turning left and giving fuel.... DOES NOT occur at all when going to the right .... When the issue occurs in the left turn I can hear the abs pump or what I believe to be the abs engagings and giving like a grinding sound.... Once this sound starts the vehicle starts braking on its own and tries to lock up aka causing to slide... As soon as I can get my vehicle to steer right or after I let it do it's thing for a moment it clears up and drives like it should and the warning message "service stabilitrak" goes away until the next time... Anyone experiencing the same??? All 4 wheel bearings have been replaced and both front calipers.... I have noticed when braking in a straightway or to the right the vehicle will randomly pull to the left ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a side note, plugged the vehicle up to a scanner to test and watch the read out for the wheel speed sensors in hopes to see if one was malfunctioning, 2 out of 4 sensors are new but none of them are reading period...

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did all this start after that work was done?
Unfortunately no, attempted most of the work due to it plus the vehicle had some roaring noises and such as well when I got it, needed some tender loving care..

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
ESC (Stabilitrak) is a very complex system of sensors for inertia, steering, wheel speed, etc. which communicate through the various brake, engine, and transmission control modules. I'd suggest you seek someone with intimate knowledge of the system and the proper tooling to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ESC (Stabilitrak) is a very complex system of sensors for inertia, steering, wheel speed, etc. which communicate through the various brake, engine, and transmission control modules. I'd suggest you seek someone with intimate knowledge of the system and the proper tooling to resolve the problem.
Yeah this may be the only way, because I'm assuming it's one of the modules due to the fact that none of the wheel speed sensors are reading, it just threw me off where it only happens going to the left..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tackled putting together a grass roots technical guide?

Does GM even have a troubleshooting guide for their own techs?

I had a 2008 at three different GM dealerships about incessant "Service Stabilitrak" etc. warnings and bonging. This went on for years. Eventually, this or some other forum clued me in that replacing the brake pedal position sensor might do the trick. It did. $12 and ten minutes installing a new brake pedal position sensor ended literally years of grief.

Most recently, I had to replace the e-brake cable. At pick-up from the shop, the car was undriveable, with symptoms I have experienced previously as a faulty ABS tone ring problem.

It's a "complicated" system, but, honestly, how complicated can it really be? There may be complicated things going on inside the body computer's logic, but that all depends on sensor inputs. It's a system with multiple points of failure, but how many sensors are there, really? 4 ABS tone rings. 4 ABS sensors. 1 brake pedal position sensor. What else is there?

Even if there are 24 sensors total, all over the body, or 48 sensors, or 196 potential single points of failure, it's a FINITE number and some engineer designed it and knows.

If GM won't let on or won't document this system even for its own techs, it should be possible to crowdsource it already.

Enough is enough.

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
It already exists. It's called the Factory Service Manual.
With links for downloading 2 of them already posted to the forum. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fair enough. If you asked me, "Hey, do ya think there's a 'factory service manual'?" I would have replied, "Yeah, usually, there is."

Based on my own experience and the probable thousands of threads spilled on this subject, I just assumed that either a) GM dealers don't have them; b) don't use them; or, c) as in the case of some factory service manuals (e.g., in my opinion a certain electronic one I won't specify here), maybe it's a useless p.o.s. either generally or on this particular subject.

But I am glad to hear there is a factory service manual after all, hence there should be zero issues and not thousands hapless owners unable to get their cars even diagnosed much less fixed.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
But I am glad to hear there is a factory service manual after all, hence there should be zero issues and not thousands hapless owners unable to get their cars even diagnosed much less fixed.
More often than not they cannot get their cars diagnosed because they are unwilling to pay for diagnostic time.

My son is a service advisor. He sees this everyday. Customer brings in an out of warranty vehicle and when asked to pay for diagnostic time, they many times balk, expecting the service center to do it for free. It doesn't work that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts