GMC Acadia Forum banner

Stabilitrack and Traction Control go off, Engine Power reduced - extreme danger

116K views 95 replies 40 participants last post by  electbc 
#1 ·
I have seen several posts on this condition occurring, where the Engine Power is reduced, and the stabilitrack and traction control go off, and the message is to service both. I have NOT seen a consistent solution to this problem. There have been some that said electrical, the battery, something with the AWD, etc. I have had a local dealer tell me that it is the Throttle Body. This is a serious issue, needing a resolution. Imagine being on the highway, you lose engine power, and a tractor-trailer and other are barreling on behind you. How do you get out of the way? Once pulled over, and letting the car sit for a short while, the car will start and run fine. This is an intermittent problem, that comes unpredictably. Is there an answer? Is it the Throttle Body? I have this cleaned twice, once by the dealer and once by a local mechanic. This is short-term fix evidently. I need something permanent. Someone please advise, and share your success in getting this resolved.

#53 ·
divotdug said:
Especially a geocities link.....I thought geocities went away two decades ago... :shrug:
It still exists. The question is why this guy's collecting member info through such a seemingly shady method?

#54 ·
jad1030 said:
I have seen several posts on this condition occurring, where the Engine Power is reduced, and the stabilitrack and traction control go off, and the message is to service both. I have NOT seen a consistent solution to this problem. There have been some that said electrical, the battery, something with the AWD, etc. I have had a local dealer tell me that it is the Throttle Body. This is a serious issue, needing a resolution. Imagine being on the highway, you lose engine power, and a tractor-trailer and other are barreling on behind you. How do you get out of the way? Once pulled over, and letting the car sit for a short while, the car will start and run fine. This is an intermittent problem, that comes unpredictably. Is there an answer? Is it the Throttle Body? I have this cleaned twice, once by the dealer and once by a local mechanic. This is short-term fix evidently. I need something permanent. Someone please advise, and share your success in getting this resolved.
have you gotten your fixed?? have the same exact issues...!! my tire sensors are hay wire as well... and just got new tires.. i have appointment on tuesday to get it fixed..

#55 ·
jessfoti said:
have you gotten your fixed?? have the same exact issues...!! my tire sensors are hay wire as well... and just got new tires.. i have appointment on tuesday to get it fixed..
Don't bother with this thread. Stick to the one in which you posted just previous to this. Thank you

#58 ·
I just replaced my entire throttle body after loss of power, stabilitrack, etc warnings came up for weeks. All fixed. The throttle body was completely covered in oil from the engine that didn't burn properly and was seizing the throttle bottle flap from opening properly resulting in messing up everything. Bought a new one for $200 CAD and replaced it myself from watching YouTube in 20min. Hope it works for some you. Its a cheep first step instead of going to the dealer.

#59 ·
I am having a few issues...I have slippage, where the RPM's rev up , and also have some vibration...I do have a bad TPMS sensor, but was told the slippage and vibration was due to a bad Transmission control Module.....so will find out ...I do have the light on for the stabilitrak now, as well as the low air light

#60 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all, I currently have the same problem with my 2012 Acadia ... loss of power after the car displays a variety of messages (Traction control off, Traction control on, Stabilitrack needs service, Park Assist on .. then a loss of power and the car will only go 15 mph. This is the 3rd time. The dealer replaced the Vape sensor on the exhaust and cleaned out the engine ($800 in repairs) but still have the problem. They don't know what is wrong and have called GMC direct who should be aware of this problem and they don't know what to suggest.

Arg!! I love my Acadia but I will not endanger my family. Has anyone come up with a fix?

Thanks

#64 ·
I know it's a long shot but have you changed your plugs recently? My '12 SLT did this same thing last year so I took it to an ex-GM Tech who has his own shop. He ran it through diagnostics and said I had one bad spark plug. He replaced the plug and it has been running smoothly ever since. No codes. Good luck.

#61 ·
Have you had a lot of rain recently?

#66 ·
I had the same problem with my 2014. It happened multiple times while driving. Thank goodness no one hit me. I took it in to my local GMC dealership 3 or 4 times. The first time they changed the ECM computer. Took it home and within a week it started happening again. The last time we took it in the mechanic basically said sorry we don’t know what’s wrong with it so here’s your keys. Next day we went and traded it in. I loved that car. We have since got a 2019 SLT Acadia and I hope I didn’t make a mistake in buying another one. I absolutely loved my 2014 and didn’t want to get rid of it. Hopefully whatever the problem that everyone was having has been fixed.

#67 ·
My 2012 GMC Acadia had the Traction Control, Stability Tract Conrol and Engine reduced power come on and just shut the car OFF. So did my neighbors 2012 Acadia. This is a wide spread issue. For both cars to do the same thing within a month of each other right next door. That is too coincidental. I will never buy another Acadia. I have dumped over 3 grand into mine.

#69 ·
I have had this problem starting about 2 months after buying my vehicle, a 2010 Acadia. Have had it in several times, 3 years later and still not fixed. Now I also have check engine and service wheel monitor system. I wouldn't care about having to keep taking it in for the same problem, if they wouldn't charge me, my deductible fee every time! It is the same thing that they can't figure out. One time they said it was a sensor , but sensor got melted into hub, and drilling hub to get it out,they ruined my hub, and charged me 800 dollars for repairs. I have contacted gmc, and they were no help. I live on 700 dollars a month, I can't drive it,but have to make car payments. I have no money for them to keep guessing! I hate gmc, and will never recommend them!

#70 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2014 GMC Acadia SLT2. Front wheel drive. This issue has been happening for me as well every couple of months out of nowhere, just under normal driving conditions.

The following errors are thrown in the dashboard:
  1. "ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED"
  2. "SERVICE STABILITRACK"
  3. "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL"
  4. Check engine light comes on
  5. Traction Control light comes on
My amazon purchased code reader throws two errors:
  1. P1682 - Metering Oil Pump Malfunction
  2. P0689 - Engine control (EC) relay - sense circuit low
My car basically loses power and I have to pull over to a complete stop. Once I turn off the car, then turn it back on, everything runs fine. The check engine light stays on, but other than that you would never know there was a problem.

I've taken it into the GMC service department and they don't know what's wrong with it.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Gauge
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

#72 ·
Something appears incorrect in what the Amazon scanner is telling you. Look up P1682 on the 'net and you'll understand why. While you're doing that, search for the other code and read the troubleshooting tips posted by OBDII experts.

Reactions: brett.c.brown
#79 ·
Hey, yall!! We been at this issue for years because we love the Acadia's, right!? Well this is the Avenue I'm headed down next with my 07 basic as all get out trim package.......... I believe it's a grounding issue....... I know everyone is gonna be like, "yeah but this" and "yeah but that"!
Look we've tried all the other this and that stuff already, hundreds of times! All that stuff I really think can be affected by the ground OR effected by something that's effected by ground.
Don't get me wrong, they are not all the same ground issue! GM made these grounds supper corruptible to different problems. Myn was timing chain and engin swap that was put in by either a bad mechanic or one unaware of this Acadia thing........ think about how your problems started........

#80 ·
I had this happen yesterday 2/16/2022. I have a chevy Traverse. Traction control turned off, reduced engine power, and I was doing 75 on the hwy. It's very unsafe for this to happen. The mechanic picked it up today and replaced the throttle body. I'll have it back tomorrow so hopefully that's all it needed.

#82 ·
2016 GMC Acadia; stabilitrak service/traction control error message and rough/reduced engine power.

Local GMC dealer cannot locate the issue. They initially thought it was a faulty battery, but a replacement didn't work. Initially I thought is was happening only in the rain and at highway speeds but it happened again yesterday on a side road going under 45 mph.

Since the dealer seems to have no clue, would an independent repair shop be a good option? I have a guy I know and trust, but not sure if this issue is really something to stick with a dealership on.

#83 ·
2016 GMC Acadia; stabilitrak service/traction control error message and rough/reduced engine power.

Local GMC dealer cannot locate the issue. They initially thought it was a faulty battery, but a replacement didn't work. Initially I thought is was happening only in the rain and at highway speeds but it happened again yesterday on a side road going under 45 mph.

Since the dealer seems to have no clue, would an independent repair shop be a good option? I have a guy I know and trust, but not sure if this issue is really something to stick with a dealership on.
Did the dealer scan it for codes? What codes did they find?

#85 ·
Was the vehicle left with service so their tech could get the problem to repeat and perform a thorough diagnosis of it?

#89 ·
Seems perhaps brake pedal position sensor? Looks like a common problem, but perhaps not for the 2016 model?
FYI about changing the BPP sensor: The job is a fairly straight forward DIY replacement. Once the new part is installed, it must be calibrated to the vehicle's brake system. Many scanners have the calibration function needed to complete the job, especially those capable of reading ABS, BCM, and chassis codes. If your scanner doesn't have the calibration function, you should take the vehicle to a qualified shop and have it done. There have been way too many posts here where members didn't do the calibration and the problem recurred.

#92 · (Edited)
perhaps a dumb question. Linked the scanner up the "Repair Solutions 2" bluetooth app on my phone. In that app's reports, it shows me the code (C0161-00 antilock brake switch circuit) but also says EBCM - Electronic Brake Control Module. Are we still thinking its the BPP sensor or something bigger?
I believe the reference to EBCM is just a category title since the BPP signal is passed through the ECBM. It still appears related to the BPP switch. Use the code designation as keyword in a search through this forum as well as the Enclave and Traverse forums to read about what others have done to repair the problem. Almost all discuss changing the BPP switch to resolve it.