GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fair enough, the Vue is FWD. My Acadia is AWD.... Haven't really tried it out yet.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
TJs07 said:
Fair enough, the Vue is FWD. My Acadia is AWD.... Haven't really tried it out yet.
Stability control can certainly help, especially with FWD, too bad you don't have a handbrake LOL that would solve most issues :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Last week, while driving on the highway, all of a sudden the Acadia turned off. The stereo and dashboard continued to work, but the car itself shut down and stated "Engine Shutting Off- Power Steering Shutting Off, etc..". I had to guide the rolling car to the side of the road, almost got hit by uncoming vehicles. When you try and turn it back on, I got a "Traction Control Off message -- Service Stabilitrak - Service Traction Control". Then 15-20 seconds later, you try it again and it starts up no problem. After one week of no problems, today it occurred once again, this time the problem occurring every minute or so, to the point where I had to abandon the vehicle on the street and had to have the car towed.

Does anyone know if GM has a recall on this issue? For a safety feature, this is extremely dangerous; having the vehicle stop in the middle of the highway in New York City is absolutely no laughing matter. And to boot, the vehicle only has 35,000, and I wonder waht kind of story the dealership is now going to give me, since I have to pay for this as the warranty has expired.

Any hepl on this matter is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
jpads said:
Last week, while driving on the highway, all of a sudden the Acadia turned off. The stereo and dashboard continued to work, but the car itself shut down and stated "Engine Shutting Off- Power Steering Shutting Off, etc..". I had to guide the rolling car to the side of the road, almost got hit by uncoming vehicles. When you try and turn it back on, I got a "Traction Control Off message -- Service Stabilitrak - Service Traction Control". Then 15-20 seconds later, you try it again and it starts up no problem. After one week of no problems, today it occurred once again, this time the problem occurring every minute or so, to the point where I had to abandon the vehicle on the street and had to have the car towed.

Does anyone know if GM has a recall on this issue? For a safety feature, this is extremely dangerous; having the vehicle stop in the middle of the highway in New York City is absolutely no laughing matter. And to boot, the vehicle only has 35,000, and I wonder waht kind of story the dealership is now going to give me, since I have to pay for this as the warranty has expired.

Wow, the car just shutting down sounds like the ignition issues GM is currently being sued for that killed 13 people so far. The other issues re Traction Control/Stabilitrack, are notoriously synonomous (sp?) with a timing chains failure. Your mileage is irrelevant. Welcome to the Acadia list! Bar is on the left, restrooms are on the right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Stabilitrack and Traction Control go off, Engine Power reduced - extreme danger

capecodacadia said:
The other issues re Traction Control/Stabilitrack, are notoriously synonomous (sp?) with a timing chains failure.
Incorrect. They indicate that the vehicle senses a problem of some kind, and most times go ox when an OBD test fails. I've had them for lean running engine.

I understand you are jaded because you had a bad experience, but don't make others think they have a worse problem than what it is, unless you know it is timing chains. So far, we don't have enough information to say that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Stabilitrack and Traction Control go off, Engine Power reduced - extreme danger

jpads said:

Is the service engine light on? If so, do you have a code reader, or onstar so you can tell us what trouble code are stored?

·
Registered
2 Posts

When I scanned, this is what I got: Code# P0601: Int. Control Module Memory Check Sum Error

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
A code P0601 in most cases means the PCM has gone bad. This is possibly due to a short-circuit inside the PCM. Or, if you disconnect the wires/connector from the PCM while the battery is still connected, that may also cause this code.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0601
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
There have been some owner's who have had the car stop while driving similar to what your are describing. Some of them found that there was a loose wire or connection coming into the fuse box. No owner has yet reported any problems with the ignition switch being the cause.

Stabilizer/traction light will also come on if there is a defective wheel speed sensor, a frayed wire, etc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had a stabilitrack/Traction control warning come on on my 2011 and it was caused by a steering wheel positioning sensor fault.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
DLKB said:
I had a stabilitrack/Traction control warning come on on my 2011 and it was caused by a steering wheel positioning sensor fault.
I think it even comes on when the brake master cylinder or booster has had a leak. I think Capecodacadia even had the brake leak. I don't recall if she said her lights came on though.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
ls973800 said:
I think it even comes on when the brake master cylinder or booster has had a leak. I think Capecodacadia even had the brake leak. I don't recall if she said her lights came on though.
No lights at all associated with the master cylinder fail.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
capecodacadia said:
No lights at all associated with the master cylinder fail.
Guess yours must have acted differently for some reason. Here is a link to a post on the Acadia board where a couple of owners who did have the leaking master cylinder set off the stabilizer/traction light.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=13737.0

Those lights come on for a variety of reasons, not just for one specific cause.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
ls973800 said:
Guess yours must have acted differently for some reason. Here is a link to a post on the Acadia board where a couple of owners who did have the leaking master cylinder set off the stabilizer/traction light.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=13737.0

Those lights come on for a variety of reasons, not just for one specific cause.
"service stabilitrack/service traction control" goes on if the car needs to be washed....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
capecodacadia said:
"service stabilitrack/service traction control" goes on if the car needs to be washed....
Only if you have a frayed wire for the wheel sensor and the wire gets wet! :facepalm:

Been there, done that!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
ls973800 said:
Only if you have a frayed wire for the wheel sensor and the wire gets wet! :facepalm:

Been there, done that!
You're kidding right? I was being a smart azz....

·
Registered
5 Posts
jad1030 said:
I have seen several posts on this condition occurring, where the Engine Power is reduced, and the stabilitrack and traction control go off, and the message is to service both. I have NOT seen a consistent solution to this problem. There have been some that said electrical, the battery, something with the AWD, etc. I have had a local dealer tell me that it is the Throttle Body. This is a serious issue, needing a resolution. Imagine being on the highway, you lose engine power, and a tractor-trailer and other are barreling on behind you. How do you get out of the way? Once pulled over, and letting the car sit for a short while, the car will start and run fine. This is an intermittent problem, that comes unpredictably. Is there an answer? Is it the Throttle Body? I have this cleaned twice, once by the dealer and once by a local mechanic. This is short-term fix evidently. I need something permanent. Someone please advise, and share your success in getting this resolved.

Dear all; :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
i have the exactly same issue with my Acadia 2008 FWD "Engine Power is reduced, and the stabilitrack and traction control go off, and the message is to service both"
i took it to a mechanic at first said to change the O2 sensors, and i did but the issue is still, then he said to change the throttle body and i did but the issue is still, i took it to another mechanic and got the reading "(P0300) random misfire" and checked Fuel Injectors with coils and all are fine.

any luck! :banghead:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
capecodacadia said:
You're kidding right? I was being a smart azz....
No, I had an Oldsmobile which would set off the stabilizer/traction light whenever I washed the car, or drove it in the rain. The light would turn off in a day or two once the car dried off.

Turned out to be a frayed wire for one of the front wheel hub speed sensors. Wrapped that sucker up with some plastic wire loom and tape and it took care of the problem.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
bamusalam said:
Dear all; :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
i have the exactly same issue with my Acadia 2008 FWD "Engine Power is reduced, and the stabilitrack and traction control go off, and the message is to service both"
i took it to a mechanic at first said to change the O2 sensors, and i did but the issue is still, then he said to change the throttle body and i did but the issue is still, i took it to another mechanic and got the reading "(P0300) random misfire" and checked Fuel Injectors with coils and all are fine.

any luck! :banghead:

Could be another customer for timing chains... class?

·
Registered
9 Posts

h2oskierc said:
Incorrect. They indicate that the vehicle senses a problem of some kind, and most times go ox when an OBD test fails. I've had them for lean running engine.

I understand you are jaded because you had a bad experience, but don't make others think they have a wise problem than what it is, unless you know it is timing chains. So far, we don't have enough information to say that.

Dead on! My Outlook was doing the same thing with MAF codes and again with the misfire codes...

21 - 40 of 79 Posts