GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this might be a silly question, but here goes. How do you guys spot clean your car? I just drove thru some bugs and the front looks horrible along with my side-view mirrors. The rest of the car looks ok from the washing I gave last week.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I use a California Car duster to keep light dust and pollen off between washes. Then I use Zaino Z8 Grand Finale detailing spray to spot clean and keep it looking freshly polished (until it rains). Any high quality quick detailing spray will work, but if you want it to rock, use Zaino ;)

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Just a quick note here, I should be getting a kickback from Zaino for all the people I've turned onto it! But I don't, I only recommend it because it's worked so great for me over these last 2 years (on my black G) since I discovered it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
admin said:
Just a quick note here, I should be getting a kickback from Zaino for all the people I've turned onto it! But I don't, I only recommend it because it's worked so great for me over these last 2 years (on my black G) since I discovered it.
I just used Zaino for the first time over the weekend, loved the results (go to posthttp://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=992.0 to see pictures), I do have a question about the Grand Finale Z8 - I used as my final step and it left a slight smeared effect on the surface, I have to keep wiping until I got the smear just right to get rid of it, if I touch the paint with the towel again I get the smear effect??? I used the clay bar, one coat of Z5 and then one Z2 with the detailing spray between coats, then I used the Z8. The best finish was after the Z5 coat, the Z2 was hard to get off with out the smearing effect. I wonder if I did something wrong. Anyway, it was some of the best results I have had with a wax hopefully I will get better at it.

Admin, do you get any fine scratches with the California Duster? With the pollen out there now I would like to try that.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
re - smears: Are you using a new, clean microfiber towel with each application? in other words, when you start using the Z8, do you switch to a new towel? If not, that it most likely the cause. The Z5 has, by far, the least amount of shine it in, so I'm surprised that it seemed to give the best results. The Z2 needs to be put on when the car is relatively cool. If it was 80-85 and in direct sunlight, you have to work on very small patches (like 1 square foot) at a time , then buff off quickly. It also sounds like you are using way too much Z8. You should use the absolute small possible amount you can do. I only open my twist-open cap like 2 mm. then I only squeeze the trigger halfway so that I get literally a tiny spritz that covers about 2-3 square feet (like 3 spritzes on the entire hood), and again with a VERY clean dry towel, turning it every few feet. You really shouldn't have ANY streaking or smears when you finish and it's smooth as glass.

re - cali car duster. I use it very lightly (basically holding it above teh car and letting just the brushes fall agaisnt the body panels) and so far haven't gotten any scratches related to it. I also stop at the rocker panels (I dno't dust the bottom 1 foot or so on the sides).

·
Registered
681 Posts
admin said:
re - smears: Are you using a new, clean microfiber towel with each application? in other words, when you start using the Z8, do you switch to a new towel? If not, that it most likely the cause. The Z5 has, by far, the least amount of shine it in, so I'm surprised that it seemed to give the best results. The Z2 needs to be put on when the car is relatively cool. If it was 80-85 and in direct sunlight, you have to work on very small patches (like 1 square foot) at a time , then buff off quickly. It also sounds like you are using way too much Z8. You should use the absolute small possible amount you can do. I only open my twist-open cap like 2 mm. then I only squeeze the trigger halfway so that I get literally a tiny spritz that covers about 2-3 square feet (like 3 spritzes on the entire hood), and again with a VERY clean dry towel, turning it every few feet. You really shouldn't have ANY streaking or smears when you finish and it's smooth as glass.

re - cali car duster. I use it very lightly (basically holding it above teh car and letting just the brushes fall agaisnt the body panels) and so far haven't gotten any scratches related to it. I also stop at the rocker panels (I dno't dust the bottom 1 foot or so on the sides).
Thanks for the response, yes I switched towels between applications (cotton, not microfiber) and I was inside my garage and the temperture was between 75 to 80. I think my problem was with using to much of the spray, i was pulling trigger at least one full squeeze per panel and maybe two on each side of the hood, sounds like it was to much. Next time i will try a smaller amount. I regards to the Z2 and Z5 I was saying that the z5 was really easy to wipe off without any additional smearing, not really the shine, I think maybe I used to much Z2, it is hard to tell, it does not look like there is muchon the applicator but I guess I really only need a little bit.

Thanks for you answers.

·
Registered
128 Posts
From reading on the web you are suppose to use the ZFX on the first coat or use the new all in one.

For your initial application, enable Z-2 PRO™ by mixing with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator as directed by the instructions included with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator. It is critical that you use ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator with Z-2 PRO™ for the initial application, or if multiple layers are to be applied within a 24 hour time period.*

AIO

Will I need ZFX for use with Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO after using Z-AIO?
Not unless you plan to accelerate cure time and apply multiple coats of Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO within a 12 hour period. After using Z-AIO initially, you may continue to apply layers of Z-2 PRO or Z-5 PRO as long as you continue to see beading as a sign of durability, without needing Z-AIO as a pre-cleaner or conditioner.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That Z-8 is some good stuff, and so easy.

I get some streaking as well, but I know I put way to much on. Like after every other wash (Z-8 once a week).

I'm old school and want to see water bead & run off. Test...if you sit your :beer: on the hood and it don't slide off...put some Z-8 on it :rofl:

Fact I ordered more as I have used a lot of it up out of the Trip's kit, and ordered the Z-6 & Z-7 kit to try out.

I love the Zaino stuff. It's so easy to use I've done the Acadia umpteen times, Pop's Escalade, wifes PT, Girls car, The Bike, The new F-150, and 7 lawn Mower hoods on the showroom floor :thumb: I still have plenty of Z-AIO & Z-CS, but the Z-8 is low.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Racefla - glad you're liking the Zaino. My first kit came with Z6. I acutally used 2 full bottles before the Z8 came out. The Z6 was great.. back then... but as soon as I saw the Z8, I never ordered another bottle of Z6. My point is, don't be shocked if you're a bit disappointed in it since you started with its successor. It still does a decent job of detailing between washes at a much more reasonable price, just doesn't have the same shine as Z8.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
To answer original question to spot clean front end and mirrors spattered with bugs, I recommend:
1. Buy Pinnacles Safe Scrub Bug and Tar Pad for $4.99 at autogeek.com It is a hard core honeycomb block
2. Soak down area with a quality auto shampoo from bucket
3. Use the Scrub Pad dipped in bucket of Auto foaming shampoo and scrub away the bugs!
4. Wipe area with micro fibre cloth.
Hint - Bug spatters removed same day is easier.
Coarse, if you have waxed and sealed your exterior, bug removal is MUCH easier using Pinnacle's Scrub Pad.
This is what I do every night! On the Stang for sure!
For others here, I am a Klasse AIO person plus their sealant. Acrylic product

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Zaino Z-5 needs to cure overnight unless you use the ZFX as an additive before using the Z-2. Then after the Z-2 you use the Z-8.

·
Registered
812 Posts
ill go the easier route, i use a bug and tar remover plus and a wet sponge, gentle scrub and rewax the area if possible with any liquid wax or just apply a detailer. ;D

·
Registered
48 Posts
rme8494 said:
Hello everyone, this might be a silly question, but here goes. How do you guys spot clean your car? I just drove thru some bugs and the front looks horrible along with my side-view mirrors. The rest of the car looks ok from the washing I gave last week.

Ryan
For things like that, I'd recommend a good Quick Detailer and microfiber towels....save your Z8, it's too expensive for spot cleaning and is more of a gloss enhancer than a quick detailer.

Spray the QD'er on the area - let it dwell for about 10-15 seconds to loosen the bugs from the paint. Don't scrub the area, let the QD do the work. Wipe off

If the bugs stains are stubborn spray a paper towel with QD'er and set it on top of the area for a few minutes to help loosen them even more. One a well waxed or sealed finish this method should work fine.

You can pick up a Quick Detailer at your local auto parts store - Meguiars, Mothers, etc are all good quick detailer at removing light dust from your paint. For more then light dust, Poorboys Spray & Wipe works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts