GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 2008 SLE FWD out here in Kuwait.

Been reading this forum, and soaking in all your experiences ;D

Just have one question - Have any of you felt that the speedometer has been showing incorrect speeds? Speed limits on the highway here are 120 kmph or 75 mph. I have consistently been doing 140 - 150 kmph (88 - 94 mph) without even realizing it (super smooth!) on my office route but have not been caught by a single camera so far...... and I know those cameras work only too well as a result of the speeding tickets on my previous car !!

All in all, have had the car for five days now, and loving every bit of it (except for the tranny lag, which has been commented on in detail in other threads). Hope to get that fixed on the 1500 km servicing !!

Hope to see some replies.

Cheers !!

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
crazykwt said:
I have consistently been doing 140 - 150 kmph (88 - 94 mph) without even realizing it (super smooth!) on my office route but have not been caught by a single camera so far...... and I know those cameras work only too well as a result of the speeding tickets on my previous car !!
I have not noticed an incorrect speed display problem. It is very easy to drive faster then intended because of how quiet and responsive the vehicle is. Maybe the red Jewel paint job will not register on the cameras :bs: :police:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I can confirm that Red Jewel paint does register on the cameras. Even at night!! :)

·
Registered
812 Posts
GAR said:
I can confirm that Red Jewel paint does register on the cameras. Even at night!! :)
thats why i went for the black.... ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
SioXie - When is yours coming in? I'm still lovin' mine!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
GAR said:
SioXie - When is yours coming in? I'm still lovin' mine!!!
im still waiting, just got the build date on Jan. 11.... maybe a couple more weeks.... :(

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Hopefully it will be soon. I bet you love it!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
GAR said:
Hopefully it will be soon. I bet you love it!!!
yap cant wait for it! after almost a year of web surfing and dealer shopping, i'll finally have my hands on one and become a full pledge member here!!! :thumb:

Im on the prowl for the ideal all weather carpet --- my first mod!!!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You got it!! YIPEE!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I have noticed that too, there is a deference between the actual speed and what the speedometer reads, I have Garmin Navigator in my Acadia and I can see the deference but not that much as you mentioned, according to my navigator the deference is as folow:

1. speed up to 120 Km the acual speed is 7 Km/hour less.
2. speed above 120 to 130 Km is 9 Km.
3. from 130 up the deference become less 10 Km/hour than the actual.

Regarding the speed camera in Kuwait may be there is 20% allowance just what is here in UAE.

Regards

·
Registered
395 Posts
furat52 said:
Hi,

I have noticed that too, there is a deference between the actual speed and what the speedometer reads, I have Garmin Navigator in my Acadia and I can see the deference but not that much as you mentioned, according to my navigator the deference is as folow:

1. speed up to 120 Km the acual speed is 7 Km/hour less.
2. speed above 120 to 130 Km is 9 Km.
3. from 130 up the deference become less 10 Km/hour than the actual.

Regarding the speed camera in Kuwait may be there is 20% allowance just what is here in UAE.

Regards
Maybe it's just with the km speedos. I also have a Garmin and it's right on the money (within 1/2 mph at all speeds).

Are your tires stock? A different size tire will change the speedometer reading. It will only be accurate for a given diameter tire. Even a different type of tire that is the same size may measure slightly different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Tires are all brand new, my car is only one month old, I will change both the speedometer and Garmin to read Miles instead of KM and see what will happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Furat52 and jseck2 for your views.

Furat52 - do let me know what is the difference once you change the garmin to miles.....

JSeck2 - I am running on stock tires. Like Furat52, my car is less than a month old...

I did a crude test of my own in this period. Was following a friend in his Chevy Lumina. While he was doing 160 kmph, I kept the same distance behind him for over a minute, and it showed a steady 170 kmph on my speedo.... I know, this is crude. Anyway I'll bring it up during the 2500 km service. Let's see what the garage has to say !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was under the impression that speedos were allowed a 10% inaccuracy, but that it had to over-read your speed & not under-read it. That's been the case in every car that I've ever driven with a sat-nav inside it (i.e. I've always seen the speedo over-read compared to the sat nav, and the discrepancy gets larger the faster I go).

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
It may be that they have that wide of a tolerance. I must be lucky as my last 5 cars have been dead on. I drive open road a bit and will set my cruise to dead on 60 mph and time from mile post to mile post. All cars have gone for a solid hour and only been seconds off of 60 mph.

To me, it seems like 10% is too much variance unless the tires are under pressured or something like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts