GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i am from germany.
i bought a outlook xr last year in orlando.
now i am driving the first outlook here in germany.
a lot of people ask me about the car and like the style and the price of the car.

now my question:
the car has a speed limited, i think it is 109 miles per hour.
ist it possible to shut off that speed limit or change it to maby 120 miles???

is there some one who can help me?? :help:

thanks buster951

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
You might be able to try some of the links in this thread

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=302.0

You aren't the first member to inquire about this; just not sure the market is there for kind of mod

You can also look through the aftermarket/upgrade section for my ideas on this subject

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
GM generally limits top speed based on the tires originally on the vehicle. I'd think based on other reports here that you should get another 9 MPH or so out of it. I'd be concerned about other factors such as lift and aerodynamics if you wanted to go a good bit faster than that.

To overcome this limiter, the computer has to be reprogrammed. It is unlikely a dealer here would do so, you could certainly ask one over there. It could also be the programmer the dealer uses may not allow this. The only other alternative is third party software, if it is available- it may not be for that application. Go to http://www.hptuners.com/ and join the forum or email them to see if they plan to support your motor anytime soon.

At the current time, it looks like the only GM V6 applications they support are the 3.8 L36, 3.8 L67, and 4.3 L35. Your Outlook has a 3.6L LY7 if a 2007 or 2008 and a 3.6L LLT if a 2009.

It is helpful to us when answering questions such as these to list your vehicle information (year, make, model, FWD/AWD, and options) in your signature. The instructions for doing so are in the Blues Clues link in my signature.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Realizing already that my reply isn't actually going to be helpful... I have to ask:

"Why on earth would you want to travel at 120mph in your Acadia?"

Crap, that'd scare the bejeezus out of me. I've only gone 100mph in a vehicle once, in my Grand Am, when I was 16 and reckless. I'd never fathom doing that again.

Not to say that speed scares me. I'm a fan of racing and going fast (I often feel I was born to be a racecar driver), but limited to vehicles that are built for it. It's just that this particular speed in this particular vehicle (Acadia) seems outrageous to me. :-\

Having said that... good luck on your quest to get your Acadia moving. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ive had the Acadia to the 108 mph governor. It was solid and handled great. I would not be scared to take it to 120. That being said the guy lives in Germany where they have the Autobahn where there is no speed limit. He probably gets passed like he is sitting still when he is driving on it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There was a recent post from an owner in Dubai who drove about 10 hours (I think) to Saudi Arabia. He averaged between 105 and 110 mph most of the way (at 22mpgs). He said the car was rock solid at those speeds.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
This is what goes through my mind at high speeds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYIjG3se3I

Granted, the Acadia won't do 200, but even at lower speeds you're generating some lift, especially with a higher ground clearance.
and once traction is lost; well your at the mercy of physics and luck ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Web Raven said:
Realizing already that my reply isn't actually going to be helpful... I have to ask:

"Why on earth would you want to travel at 120mph in your Acadia?"

Crap, that'd scare the bejeezus out of me. I've only gone 100mph in a vehicle once, in my Grand Am, when I was 16 and reckless. I'd never fathom doing that again.

Not to say that speed scares me. I'm a fan of racing and going fast (I often feel I was born to be a racecar driver), but limited to vehicles that are built for it. It's just that this particular speed in this particular vehicle (Acadia) seems outrageous to me. :-\

Having said that... good luck on your quest to get your Acadia moving. :)
sorry if i scared you ;D

it is right, here in germany we have the autobahn, sometimes the street is smaler like a regular highway in the US but there are free speedlimits. somtimes we have 3 or 4 lanes and there its normal here to drive 190km/h till 240 km/h thats nothing special.
i drove the outlock with a speed of 187km/h with 3000rpm there is a lot of space till 5000rpm.
and also i think the car will do a fine job there is no big different to a audi Q7 and that car runs 250 km/h.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
You drove an Outlook to 116 mph at 3,000 rpm? I didn't know they had that kind of speed and the engine had more room to go? Maybe 3rd timer should read this :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Oh I completely understand... autobahn. I figured that's why you would want to remove the speed limiter. I just couldn't fathom trying to go that fast in my Acadia. LOL If I were going to go above 100mph again, I'd want something sportier, more aerodynamic and lower to the ground. I dunno, say, a nice Ferrari or something. ;) haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Web Raven said:
Oh I completely understand... autobahn. I figured that's why you would want to remove the speed limiter. I just couldn't fathom trying to go that fast in my Acadia. LOL If I were going to go above 100mph again, I'd want something sportier, more aerodynamic and lower to the ground. I dunno, say, a nice Ferrari or something. ;) haha
dont think about the outlock or acadia is only a SUV. it is also a quit cruising, no matter if u drive with 60mph or with 130mph. the car would make it, i am sure!!!!

here in the near of frankfurt am main we have a lot opel dealers, but also a lot us car dealers. one of the us car dealer fixed the outlook for the german TÜV, witch allows u to drive the car on german streets.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
buster951 said:
hello,

i am from germany.
a lot of people ask me about the car and like the style and the price of the car.

now my question:

thanks buster951
An afterthought

I am glad that you bought an Outlook, but why would you buy a car that can't realistically compete on the roadways? You are talking about disabling a feature that is installed so that you don't blow the tires off. You could put high speed rating tires on (if you can find them in a comparable size), but the question still remains. Not trying to pick; just wondering ;D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
This is what goes through my mind at high speeds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYIjG3se3I

Granted, the Acadia won't do 200, but even at lower speeds you're generating some lift, especially with a higher ground clearance.
Blue, in the video I laughed when the parachute deployed after the car was down to around 13 mph! Maybe a chute for our Acadia's would be a nice safety feature to augment the rear seat side curtain airbags. I think driving my Acadia at 100+ for a few miles would be a hoot. I once drove a 4-banger 924 porche to Mammoth Ski Mtn and did 100-117 for about 1-2 miles straight. Now that was fun.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
294 Posts
Web Raven said:

I figured that it would be a nice new blue 2010 Camaro SS with a convertible top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jsimms said:
buster951 said:
hello,

i am from germany.

now my question:

thanks buster951
An afterthought

I am glad that you bought an Outlook, but why would you buy a car that can't realistically compete on the roadways? You are talking about disabling a feature that is installed so that you don't blow the tires off. You could put high speed rating tires on (if you can find them in a comparable size), but the question still remains. Not trying to pick; just wondering ;D
i took the car because i have 2 kids and i need space. the car is one of the best flexible cars i know. we all love that car because of that and the cheap price. you realy wont get a car like this for that price here in germany.
the speed is the only little thing what not match to germany! ; )

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Thought this was an interesting video on high speed and the associated warnings displayed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoifiLlEZXI&feature=related

This video is from a foreign country because of the km/hr speedo; the vehicle limited him to 107 km/hr even though the speedo keeps going :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
AA/78U-Blue Gold said:
Thought this was an interesting video on high speed and the associated warnings displayed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoifiLlEZXI&feature=related

This video is from a foreign country because of the km/hr speedo; the vehicle limited him to 107 km/hr even though the speedo keeps going :eek:
The vehicle wouldn't have been limited to 107km/h - that's only 67 mph... if it is like most cars it would be more like 180km/h or so (113 mph)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mach1 said:
The vehicle wouldn't have been limited to 107km/h - that's only 67 mph... if it is like most cars it would be more like 180km/h or so (113 mph)
If I remember correctly; the DIC displayed speed limited so.....................

·
Registered
124 Posts
mach1 said:
:ditto:...but look real close on that video, it says speed limited to 187 kph not 107 YIKES :eek:. We better stop discussing the speed abilities of our SSUV's they will be upping our insurance! ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts