GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a message show up that said speed limited to 108 miles per hour. I was not aware that Acadia had a governor on it. Where can I find ifo on this.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well, the most enjoyable way is to get in your car late at night and find out for yourself ;D
The Car and Driver article/review March 2007 listed max test speeds of 109 in 4th at 6500rpm, 109 in 5th at 4450rpm, and 109 in 6th at 3300rpm. So thats probably what the governor is set at.
There are some threads somewhere on this that are entertaining an a bit scary as a few folk have checked the accuracy of the article.

·
Registered
405 Posts
the point of the govenator is not only to limit your speed by factory but also if the service engine light comes on and the computer thinks there is somthing wrong it will use it to limit your speed to stop you from wrecking somthing.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Boy, I would hate to be in the carpool lane doing 75 (to keep up with the flow of traffic) and have my computer suddenly decide to limit my speed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
big bear craig said:
Most often the top speed limiter is determined by the speed rating of the tires that come on the car.
Yes, exactly, not to mention just the given safety parameters of the vehicle in general. Not that the Acadia would explode at higher speeds, but really, it's a heavy SUV and not meant for autobahn tracking at 200mph, and neither are its Goodyears. For just about everyone, 109 will be overkill. For the others...get a sports car.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Actually, I don't know why I am bitching about the speed limiter. My Aerostar had a 95 mph limit on it (which I could hit going down hill with a tailwind). I am kinda curious - why 109? Why not 110? or 105? or 120? :confused:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Makes sense - except for the fact that the 18's are S rated (112) and the 19's are H rated (130). By that logic, the limit should be set at 121 mph.

·
Registered
123 Posts
darrylm said:
I recently had a message show up that said speed limited to 108 miles per hour. I was not aware that Acadia had a governor on it. Where can I find ifo on this.
what the heck is a speed governor? i live in california i am :eek: shocked to know arnold swartzeneger will be riding under my hood :rofl: j/k :angel: ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts