GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the speed compensated volume work for people? Is the effect noticeable?

I can't tell if mine is working or not. If it is, the effect is really small. I have a Nissan Murano also, and when I come off the highway or a busy road, the volume on the radio goes WAY down.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I have the same problem with mind. It is very hard to tell whether or not it is working.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My Acadia hasn't arrived yet, so I don't have any firsthand experience of have the capability to play with it yet, but i know our 03 Nissan Maxima had a setting in the stereo that you could choose the level of volume compensation. It had a low, medium, and high option. Have you played around with the Acadia's stereo settings to see if there is something in there?

·
Registered
264 Posts
There is a low and middle and high if you can not tell i'd say the volume is staying the same and that means it is working.

·
Registered
812 Posts
the best way to try it is to set it on high then increased your speed and listen for the volume increase, just make sure your windows are up.... ;D

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did not think mine was working either. Here's what I did. Got going down a road at 45 mph and turned it off and then back on high. There is a difference in volume, at least on mine, but it is pretty subtle. It is in no way a difference in volume as in other GM vehicles I have owned.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If the speed compensated volume is working properly, your perception of the volume should be that it stays the same. It is intended to make you think that the volume does not change.

Mine works really well and as I drive I never think I need to turn up the volume when I get up to speed, or turn it down when I stop moving. It seems to control the relative volume at a nice level.

·
Registered
812 Posts
forgive me if this is off topic, but did you guys remember these RPM based sound effects module they're selling that hook up to your car audio system and let you choose the sound effects you want to hear thru your speakers?

let's say your beside some guy on a Harley, all you got to do is roll down all your windows, put the volume on max, choose the Harley effects and rev on the gas in neutral and bam! your Acadia sounds like a Harley.... i love to see that biker face when that happened!!! ;D LOL

FYI: theres also the F1 sound, a tractor, a diesel truck, and a Ferrari!!! and their latest addition an M1A1 Abrams tank!!!i could have put 1 on my Evo just for fun.... ;D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I don't understand the feature.

In my Nissan, the radio turns itself down when you exit the highway, so that your ears aren't ringing from the sound level you had while going 70 MPH.

In this car, when I exit a highway, the sound still seems very high. Almost too high, and I have to turn the radio down, so it doesn't hurt my ears.

Does the Acadia only adjust UP, or does it adjust DOWN, as well?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If I understand it correctly, the way it should work is as follows:

1) You adjust the radio for a normal listening level while sitting still.
2) Then while moving, if the volume is not high enough, you don't turn up the volume, but instead set the compensation to low, med, or high to bring the volume up to a good level while moving.
3) When you slow down to a stand still again, the volume will automatically go back to where you originally set it.
4) When you speed up, it will increase based on your compensation setting again.

Make sense?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The default setting for this feature is OFF.

The instructions for how to set the SCV (Low, Med. or High) is on page 269 of the owner's manual (for 2007 models, anyhow).

·
Registered
384 Posts
SioXie said:
forgive me if this is off topic, but did you guys remember these RPM based sound effects module they're selling that hook up to your car audio system and let you choose the sound effects you want to hear thru your speakers?

let's say your beside some guy on a Harley, all you got to do is roll down all your windows, put the volume on max, choose the Harley effects and rev on the gas in neutral and bam! your Acadia sounds like a Harley.... i love to see that biker face when that happened!!! ;D LOL

FYI: theres also the F1 sound, a tractor, a diesel truck, and a Ferrari!!! and their latest addition an M1A1 Abrams tank!!!i could have put 1 on my Evo just for fun.... ;D

Never heard of this thing. Sounds fun though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It does not work well if the windows are down while driving.

·
Registered
681 Posts
On my way home last night I did a test, while driving about 45 mph I went to the Speed Compensation Volume screen, I toggled back and forth between the "Off" setting and the "High" setting and you can hear the volume change substantially. This is one way to check if yours is working.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have mine on medium at this point. I will try setting to high and see if I can tell the difference. I don't notice any difference at medium, but then, I'm not really looking for it either. I just set it and forget it! ;)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
vic49 said:
I have mine on medium at this point. I will try setting to high and see if I can tell the difference. I don't notice any difference at medium, but then, I'm not really looking for it either. I just set it and forget it! ;)
Just maybe, it could be that if you don't notice the difference, then it is set perfectly. It could be that the volume increase compensates for the road noise and gives the illusion that the volume stays the same.

·
Registered
681 Posts
GAR said:
vic49 said:
Just maybe, it could be that if you don't notice the difference, then it is set perfectly. It could be that the volume increase compensates for the road noise and gives the illusion that the volume stays the same.
Exactly, if you do not constantly adjust your volume or do not notice any change then it is working as intended, you should not be able to tell the difference while driving. If you have concerns that it is not working then do the test I described a few posts ago, you will hear the difference when you turn it off while driving.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do any of you get a big break in the sound like a record scratching when the volume adjusts. I think mine is completely broken. When I slow down the volume kicks down but with a big annoying scratching sound. ???

·
Registered
681 Posts
paid36 said:
Do any of you get a big break in the sound like a record scratching when the volume adjusts. I think mine is completely broken. When I slow down the volume kicks down but with a big annoying scratching sound. ???
Nothing like that at all. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts