GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you have to put $500 down. Under what circumstances would you not get that money back if you had to cancel for whatever reason? Do you have to declare some sort of eligible reason to cancel and still get that deposit back?

Also, after reading a bunch of posts here and there for the past couple of months, it seems like folks are getting better deals if they order vs. purchase off the lot. Does this seem true to anyone else?

Thanks. Getting very close to taking the dive. Can't wait!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Your $500 earnest money would be subject to dealer discretion regarding a refund if you cancel. They don't have to, but likely would if you ask nicely and/or have a good reason. A local dealer here gives you 72 hours and up to 150 miles to return the car AFTER you take delivery.

I would imagine if you have a history with the dealer that would also weigh heavily in their decision.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
When I ordered my vehicle, there were several incentives that were available at the time and the dealer wasn't sure how long they would last. He saw that I was concerned about the incentives so he wrote on the order sheet that if I wasn't happy with the incentives available at time of delivery, he would refund my deposit and I was not obligated in any way.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahhh very nice. You know what, that was going to be my next question to confirm. So it sounds like you cannot take advantage of the incentives at the time you order if they are not available when your Acadia is delivered? In other words those incentives are not "locked" in for you?

I keep holding my breath that they will be offering 0% for 60 months soon.....Acadia seems to be selling too well to do that one though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
JonTon said:
So it sounds like you cannot take advantage of the incentives at the time you order if they are not available when your Acadia is delivered? In other words those incentives are not "locked" in for you?
According to my dealer (and I've heard it from several other sources) you only get the incentives that are available at purchase time, not order time. So it's kind of a crap-shoot as to what you might get. Also, we were told that we can actually purchase the vehicle before the dealer receives it, if the incentives seem good. Now, I'm not sure at what stage we can do that (when it is invoiced? Not sure).

As to one of your first questions, it is really up to the dealership to determine how much down they want to order it. Ours (a "no haggle" place) wanted $1,500 down but my wife talked them down to $1,000. Honestly, I think they could order it for nothing if they trust you. Plus, it's not like they couldn't sell the vehicle to someone else if you back out.

We were told the deposit was non-refundable. Not sure what that means exactly. I'd bet we could get it back if we really worked at it.

...Almost 5 weeks since we ordered!... Anticipation building!

·
Registered
246 Posts
JonTon said:
I know you have to put $500 down. Under what circumstances would you not get that money back if you had to cancel for whatever reason? Do you have to declare some sort of eligible reason to cancel and still get that deposit back?
Depends on the dealer as to whether or not a deposit is refundable, but the dealer should be making it clear to you before
you order whether or not the deposit is refundable. As far as incentives go, the usual practice is that only the incentives
in place at time the sale is completed are available which typically is at time of delivery. The dealer can complete the sale
once the vehicle has a VIN and the dealer has been invoiced, if there are incentives that expire before the dealer is expected
to take delivery of the vehicle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info everyone.

Anyone know if a better deal can be had on ordering vs. buying off the lot?

·
Registered
13 Posts
JonTon said:
I know you have to put $500 down. Getting very close to taking the dive. Can't wait!
No down payment here. Don't know that I would have if asked to. Maybe just the good 'ole boy attitude around here where a man's (or woman's) word is worth more. And, like everyone else said, once they have the VIN/invoice you can buy. In our case, anticipated it coming in after Labor Day but wanted to take advantage of incentives if available. BTW, doubt many dealers would do this, but I asked if they would hold ours if it came in before Labor Day incentives were released and they said yes and wouldn't sell it out from under us - I wouldn't have asked for them to hold it more than a week - pride wouldn't have let me. Should be here 08/28 or 08/29 so once we find out if incentives will apply, we'll be picking it up before Labor Day. Don't know exactly how this works, but dealer starts paying interest on a vehicle once it hits the lot or before (once it is off the train)? I'm sure someone out there knows! So I assume a better deal with ordering since it won't be sitting on the lot. They will want to get their interest back they have been paying - so not as good a deal as with a lot purchase? We didn't try to buy off the lot since I knew I wanted an '08 and there were no '07s closeby with the configuration I wanted.

Have fun taking the plunge!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had one dealer tell me here in Denver that he would only ask for a $1000 deposit on my requested options because I was planning to order FWD. He said if it was AWD, that he knew he could sell it to someone else if I backed out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have put down some deposit $$$ for a purchase order of 07 Acadia which they don't have available at a local dealer. They said they have located the vehicle that I want and it will be here in next couple days. What happens if I or my family member do not like something about the arriving vehicle. Can we cancel and get some portion of the deposit back? Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
JonTon said:
Thanks for the info everyone.

Anyone know if a better deal can be had on ordering vs. buying off the lot?
There is no real right or wrong answer here. It all depends on the dealership. I was able to order an 08 from the factory for $650 below invoice. Another dealership wanted to charge me $600 in advertising fees + $500 over invoice for a custom order. Another dealership wouldn't budge off MSRP on one they had on their lot.

Knowledge of the product and emailing numerous dealerships is the best way. I purchased my vehicle from a dealership 2 hours away from where I live since none of the dealerships in my city would even budge on price. Some dealerships (in the Detroit area), advertise their cars for a few hundred above the GM Employee Discount price. You could hyperlink (as well as take screenshots of the prices) the URLs of these advertised cars and then forward them to dealerships in a 150 mile radius of where you live. It worked for me!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Our deal was very similar, Fenwah, local boys wouldn't budge, so we headed a couple a hundred miles into the farmland & saved thousands. A car WILL cost more if it's floorplanned.

Ernest money is as negotiable as the sales price. It's not like front money is mandatory from GM, so dealerships do as they please...or can get away with. They'd take $10K if you'd stand still for it: you wouldn't renig, would you? The deeper they can get you vested in the deal, the better for them. My dealer didn't mention it one time.

If you are compelled to give front money, specify that it's 100% refundable [IN WRITING] if you're not pleased with the vehicle. That is the same as no front money.

I have bought cars with blanket e-mails, but you have less control: you don't know who's gonna receive it, end up with it, or more importantly, forward it, & to whom. I like the phone better. You can ask for the new car sales manager [no cheaper, but 'should' know more], plus it's more relational, which, IMHO, can result in a better deal for all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts