GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....."got r done" :cheers:

I replaced my base model SLE radio speakers with 2 sets of Polk Audio, 651 and 651s, 2 way 6.5" from Crutchfield. I was going with the Infinity as discussed in another post. I had went and heard the Inf and liked them but after shopping around I saw that PA had a half price sale and I had had a set of PA that were good soooooo, $149.50 to my door. I installed them.

The install was fairly simple after the 1st door. I bought a door panel popper tool $8,but really don't feel that I needed it.
Pop panel after removing 3 (# 30 torxhead) screws.
Remove "door opening control cable" from back of handle. Take needle nose and squeeze ears on cable end and pull it out of door housing.
Unplug wiring harness.

Rear- 651s (shallow) You loose alittle base from this set but being down on the floor you don't notice it to much.
Remove old speaker. 1 top screw and pull unit out of door
Secure new speaker to supplied adapter bracket with supplied hardware.
Set spkr in door and attach oem top screw. Mark and drill 2 holes for adapter plate securing, 2 sheet metal screws per door.
Crutchfield does NOT have the wiring adapter for the Acadia yet so you have to cut off oem plug and use some crimp-on connectors to connect to new spkrs. I used the wiring scheme from a previous post for +, - conductivity colors of oem wires.
TEST speakers and reassemble

Front same procedure
4 screws instead of 3

results:

I am pleased with the PA sound, which tends to cater to the "highs" more than the "lows".
The 2 ways in the rear REALLY woke up the sound :blob:. I ended up with the radio fader, 1 notch to the rear and now I can really hear them. GREAT improvment.

In the front I wish I had went with the component spkrs and not used another tweeter. With 2 tweeters running , oem and new built on speaker one, I was getting some ....lisp/tinny sounds sometime. After bring the treble down things sound real GOOD now.

If you are a bass boomer you don't want these spkrs. There is enough bass for my old ears but not for the new cowboy and rap music combination known as CRAP music ;D

Overall an easy project,(probably with any brand spkr)
Crutchfield is a great site for info on what fits......most of the time.

later
:tunes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an SLE as well with very weak sound and no base.
I replaced all 4 door speakers with Jensen JPS365 round 6.5" 3-way
I noticed that the GM speakers are fabricated (molded) together with their own mounting brackets.
I used a jig saw to cut out the GM speaker, leaving me with the mounting bracket. I then sat the new speaker on the bracket and glued it in place.
This way the new speakers mount exactly as originals.
I used some adhesive backed foam around the top edge of the speaker so when the door panel is replaced, it makes a seal around the new speaker just like the old one.
No worries about speaker depth for the rear doors, the Jensens are less than 3" deep and almost the exact same depth as the originals when mounted onto the original brackets.
The new sound is much much better and much louder than before with much more bass. (not quite like a sub, but now I actually like listening to FM music).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you take any pictures while installing? I'm very curious about the ease of adding some sound deadener to the doors when I replace the speakers. I have a Saturn Outlook and I feel these vehicles could be much quieter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
how did you remove the door panel? I popped the little plastic panels in the handle and removed the 3 torx bolts, but the SOB is still tight as can be. i can not locate the tabs to release the door. Shall i just yank it?

·
Registered
912 Posts
We are going I think with a set of Pioneer Premier components up front and a set of Premier's in the back doors then I am trying to figure out the stock locations for the rear speakers from teh bose locations to mount another set of Premier's so I have 8 speakers rather than 6.

·
Registered
52 Posts
jpeake said:
how did you remove the door panel? I popped the little plastic panels in the handle and removed the 3 torx bolts, but the SOB is still tight as can be. i can not locate the tabs to release the door. Shall i just yank it?
yes just yank it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts