GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really like the Acadia to date, did run into one thing while giving it a bath from all our pollen on the Gulf Coast. Looked underneath to find the spare tire, but all that is there is a tiny mini spare, rather than a drop down full size tire like most "trucks". This means you have a limited run possible if you get a flat, where with a full size tire you could run whatever distance you needed to. ???
Doesn't look like enough room to mount one if you wanted to? Any feedback from anybody who has looked at this closer?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I vaguely recall an earlier discussion on this... either it won't fit, or there's an issue w/ heat from the drivetrain affecting it.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
According to the owner's manual, you are not supposed to put a full-size spare (or a full-size flat) under the vehicle, due to heat issues. In fact, the temporary spare is stored in a heat shielded bag of some kind.

Kelly

·
Registered
306 Posts
Who needs a spare tire--I think that is what On-star is for:

Push the blue On-star button and tell them to send a flatbed tow truck to take your Acadai to the tire store to fix it or mount a new full size tire. Problem solved!!

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
002 said:
Who needs a spare tire--I think that is what On-star is for:

Push the blue On-star button and tell them to send a flatbed tow truck to take your Acadai to the tire store to fix it or mount a new full size tire. Problem solved!!

You must not live with the wide open spaces we have here in Utah! When exploring southern Utah, we're often hours away from the nearest town. This lack of a full-size spare is my single greatest concern with the Acadia, particularly given the current limited availablity of replacement tires.

Kelly

·
Registered
306 Posts
Kelly,

I see your point. Here in Southeast Va, the tow truck will arrive quite quickly.

I frequently traveled to SLC before I retired (I had 161 employees out at Hill) and my idea would work well along the SLC-Ogden corridor, but maybe not far South, East or West Utah.

I guess one could buy another full size wheel/tire and keep it in that space behind the 3rd row. Just a case of Risk Mgmt!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would be tempted to keep a can of sealent handy and a portable air pump. The sealent will screw up the balancing of your tire, but it should get you home

·
Registered
159 Posts
this is sorta off topic for the acadia but today we were at a gmc dealership and after we test drove an acadia( well my mom did im to young to test drive a car :angryfire: ) we looked at the envoys and they have a built in air pump!! cool idea all cars should have that

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KJF
I agree with you, except my concern is over the backroads of Louisiana/Mississippi/Arkansas, etc. I travel. The tire is surrounded on the outside by a plastic shield (now I know what that is for) but seems to have gotten stuck in what hole was left.
Of course, GM could have put runflats like on our 2003 Corvette, but then for sure you would need to pay the onstar subscription. Ford now does GM one better, though, in the 2007 Mustang Cobra you get no spare, no runflats, only a bottle of maybe leaksealer! :banghead:

·
Registered
752 Posts
thats why I always carry a roll of duct tape ;D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually this brings up the opportunity for some creative vendor to come up with a full size spare mounting, if not below the vehicle, maybe like somewhere else, like via the trailer hitch mount, that would allow the tire to drop down when the liftgate opened? :confused:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
jrc50 said:
Actually this brings up the opportunity for some creative vendor to come up with a full size spare mounting, if not below the vehicle, maybe like somewhere else, like via the trailer hitch mount, that would allow the tire to drop down when the liftgate opened? :confused:
Umm, picturing that convinced me to live with the donut spare. :eek:

Kelly

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, the more I think about this, put a servo with the mechanism, when you hit the lift button for the tailgate, the spare tire drops, the door goes up, then of course the reverse happens when you close the tailgate!
It would fit in with all the other automation on the Acadia! :hot: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
jrc50 said:
Actually, the more I think about this, put a servo with the mechanism, when you hit the lift button for the tailgate, the spare tire drops, the door goes up, then of course the reverse happens when you close the tailgate!
It would fit in with all the other automation on the Acadia! :hot: :cheers:
Ah, another reason I should have ordered the power lift gate. :(

Kelly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts