GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone needing to transport a wheel chair around in the Acadia, please read on:

My son is sick and now needs a wheel chair to get around. The wheel chair was simply too tall to fit behind the third row seat (even after I adjusted the seat's wheels to make the chair shorter). Of course, the back seat could be folded down and the chair placed on it's side, but I didn't want to lose an entire row of seats just to accomodate the wheel chair.

I then realized that the cargo management system is removeable, simply by removing the two big screws located on either side of the bin. The whole thing then lifts out, thereby giving another six inches or so of depth. The wheel chair now fits very nicely behind the third row seats, and does not touch the rear hatch. I wrap a bungee cord around the bottom of one of the headrests and the chair push handles to keep the chair from moving around...works great and doesn't leave any marks on the seat.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Innovative :thumb:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
We all hope your son is well and nice picture. That is exactly where I put my mother-in-laws chair which is more compact than that of your picture.
The handle bars are facing the floor and foot rests are pointed to the ceiling w/o having to remove the box cover. Nice post...Again, best to your son and family!
Jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for the best wishes...we appreciate them. I bought this car last year, little realizing that it would be a medical support vehicle. We live in central California and regularly have to travel down to UCLA for treatments (about 450 miles roundtrip). The Acadia has been an excellent vehicle and gets us back-and-forth with ease. Part of the trip entails climbing up "The Grapevine" to Tejon Pass which is about 4K feet...no trouble at all. Of course, I put it in "L" and have to use 4th gear on occasion, but most of the mountains are in 5th gear.

Since my SLT doesn't have the 110v outlet, I installed a 750watt inverter so that I could run stuff like medical pumps, etc. I wired this directly to the battery and it works great. I run a humidier and suction, and these can run the whole time with no problems. I stuck the inverter under the right 2nd row seat where it is easy to get to.

The Acadia has always been reliable, and is certainly adaptable to our needs.

Again, thanks for the wellwishes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts