GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new Acadia on 4/4/07. Upon the final inspection I opened the liftgate slowly and heard something metal and loose inside it (sort of behind the upper brake light. When closing the door you hear is slide back down. So my first drive was to the service bay. I had to schedule an appt so they can get into the liftgate to get whatever it is out of there. Fortunately it doesn't rattle when driving.... yet.
On a side note, I tried to get a third key (just to have an extra spare to use when dropping it off for service) and the dealer requires both my other keys with the remotes in order to program them. They couldn't do it the day I picked it up because they didn't have the latest SW required. So I will get my rattle and key taken care of next week. I feel like an early adopter to the Vista OS. All the bells and whistles... limited drivers available.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rattle. I don't have that problem, and haven'te seen anyone else report it. Hopefully, your dealer can fix it for you. In the meantime, enjoy your Acadia. It's an awesome vehicle.

Kelly

·
Registered
683 Posts
I actually have heard something similar each time I open the liftgate as well. Sounds like we have the same issue. I have yet to really get out and investigate on my own (been too cold here in Chicago, and lots to do). I did go out today to wipe the car down as it was the first time my family was looking it over. When I was wiping down the spoiler and third brake light area, I noticed the piece of spoiler just under the 2rd brake light was loose and ratlled. Doesn't seem to be the same type of noise as I hear when I open the liftgate, but check yours out there and let me know if you hear the same. I'd also be curious as to what the dealer finds after snooping around, please be sure to post the resolution for us.

·
Registered
492 Posts
When mine was new I found a broken phillips head screw in the cargo area. I never found where it came from & figured it was left over from production.

Maybe something like that ended up in the liftgate?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the same rattle...sounds like the same area...inside the spoiler somewhere. Mine has done it since I picked it up. It only makes the sound when I open/close also. Not when driving. Very strange.

Please let us know what you find out, OK.

Thank you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i heard a rattle/mechanical noise in th etailgate when I opened it in the dealers lot. Salesman said it was the lock. Which after I played with it, i would say it's something associated with the lock.

if you pop the lock and let go of the handle,I hear it but I want hear it again unless I activate the unlock sequence again.

I have no rattles lifting or closing gate. maybe different noise........

·
Registered
683 Posts
Update: I now hear the piece in the rear spoiler when I drive, at least I did this morning on the way into work.

Can some of you go out to your Acadia and just push in on the thin piece of spoiler material just under the 3rd brake light? Tell me if yours has some movement to it and sounds like a metal plate inside is loose. If so I'll assume it normal and leave it be. Otherwise I need to figure out a fix myself or get the dealer to service it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
imgntht said:
Update: I now hear the piece in the rear spoiler when I drive, at least I did this morning on the way into work.

Can some of you go out to your Acadia and just push in on the thin piece of spoiler material just under the 3rd brake light? Tell me if yours has some movement to it and sounds like a metal plate inside is loose. If so I'll assume it normal and leave it be. Otherwise I need to figure out a fix myself or get the dealer to service it.

No movement here. The only thing that moves is the plastic right under the light itself. This is just flex and not a rattle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Has anyone heard anything on the cause of the rattle in the liftgate?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Any update on this?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Okay so I dug into this more today and I found the problem/solution. Suppose I could have taken it to the dealer, but I needed some bonding time with the car and what better way than to take it apart and learn about it. ;D

The Problem: [/color] I removed the spoiler from the liftgate and found a small metal strip about 18" long located driectly below the 3rd brake light. It was just loose laying in there, but at one point you can see the assembly line had it attached via a double-sided sticky tape. The problem though is that the tape is too thin to fill the slot in the metal and it has virtually no stick to it. I would imagine that if you don't already have the problem on your Acadia, you soon will as the constant jarring from closing the liftgate will weaken this aseembly. I took some pictures of the whole removal process and this piece I am referring to, just not sure how to post those right now...but will try to read the post on it later and get them on here if there is interest.

Why is it there?[/color] If you go out and look at your spoiler just under the 3rd brake light, you'll see the plastic material is rather thin there and has a bit a flex to it. The metal strip is simply a reinforcement for this plastic. Designed to keep the plastic from flexing, breaking, and even sagging over time. I was initially just going to throw it out and not worry abuot it, but better logic prevailed and I reinstalled the metal strip.

The Fix: [/color] I happened to have some 3M double-sided tape used for installing ground effects and folded it into 3's to increase its thickness. I pushed it into the slot in the metal piece, cut to length, and re-assembled the unit to the spoiler. Then just reversed the spoiler removal process and voila! all fixed...for now. I'm curious to see how long my "fix" will work...the tape is strong stuff and it seemed to grab well, but years of closing the liftgate may take its toll. It was a fairly easy job though and now that I know how everything comes apart, I could re-fix it again later in less than 30 minutes. It took me maybe 45-60 minutes today while I cautiously uncovered the various mounting points.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Took the Acadia into the dealer today. They fixed it, but wouldn't tell me what it was other than... there was a loose bolt inside (sure didn't sound like a bolt to me... sounded like the metal plate described above. They said they reattached the bolt... to whatever it was supposed to be holding in place. It doesn't make the sound anymore.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Picture 1 is the plastic trim piece inside the liftgate. There are 5 clips that hold it in. I started on the right hand side and gave a slight pull. The rest just followed suit. Installation was a simple locate slot for clip and give a good push on it.

Picture 2 shows the underside of the spoiler and the metal strip just in front of it laying on the blue bin.

Picture 3 gives you an idea of the mounting points for the spoiler. In all there are qty 5, 10mm nuts to be removed(these are visible when the liftgate is open, without removing the above mentioned plastic trim piece. Hiding behind the trim piece are qty 4 plastic fittings that need to be squeezed together in order to fit out of the hole they are in. They aren't the easiest to get to, and I needed a thin standard screwdriver to work these out. Don't forget there is a harness attached to the 3rd brake light. Squeeze and pull off.

Picture 4 shows where exactly the metal piece goes. It will be between the 3rd brake light and the edge of the spoiler. If you've gone this far you will by now see the sticky tape the factory used to help you identify where to reinstall the metal strip.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very nice explanation! Beats the "bolt theory" from the dealer all to hell. Glad I didn't try to tackle that myself. Looks like at least a 5 swear word job. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My pleasure to help on this. I'm a hands-on kinda guy so if it could help not only fix the problem in my car as well as others here, then it was all worth it. Knowing the info is heading back to GM is awesome, I feel like I have a direct influence on the design of future Acadias...that's just plain cool! :cheers:

·
Registered
126 Posts
acadia7j100001 said:
imgntht and drumr...thanks for all the info here. It will be relayed back to engineering and the plant.
Make sure the plant corrects for my Acadia! ;D I doubt it has been started yet, since the order is only a week old. Joking aside, it is great that this information is getting back to GM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.