GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wife, son and I were at the supermarket yesterday ... we pulled in, parked, and were discussing which cart to take (the regular cart, the stroller or the fancy-schmancy cart that looks like a race car so my son can be amused while we shop...)

Anyway, we feel a bump and look to the right, and there's a Toyota Camry smushed against my door!

This lady was paying absolutely NO attention, cut the wheel too hard, and hit my Acadia. Scratched up the door and the "bumper rail" along the door. No dents (that I can see), but there's paint gouged, scratched and chipped away.

She didn't even know she hit me! All she kept saying was "I don't have time for this, I have to pick my son up at sunday school." I told her that we're going to have to do something. She said "oh, it's not dented, it's fine." I told her "it's not fine, you hit my car, you're going to have to do something about it!"

Finally, I got her to give me all her info - name, insurance, etc. I took pictures (love my BlackBerry Storm!) and now I'll get an estimate done tomorrow at the dealer's body shop.

Whether she wants to pay out of pocket or through insurance, I don't know. I'll find out, I guess, when I get the insurance estimate!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My advice, is don't ever, ever, ever leave an accident scence without
a police report.

Sometimes these easily become a stupid "no you hit me, I didn't hit you" turn around.

Good luck, sorry to hear about it!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copperhead13 said:
a police report.

Sometimes these easily become a stupid "no you hit me, I didn't hit you" turn around.

I felt the same way, but this woman was not sticking around, my son was getting cranky, and it wasn't a "huge" mess. If she had dented anything, she wasn't leaving... but it's "just" a scratch.

I figure, if I get beat on this one, it's not the end of the world.

I have a copy of her insurance card and license anyway - gotta love smartphones :)

edit: there's no way she can say I hit her. I was parked in the spot - she hit the middle of my car with the corner of her front bumper. It would be absolutely impossible for me to hit here there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry to hear. I recently hit a parked car w/ my blue-gold Acadia. :eek:hno: Umm...but although I didn't have time for it...I made the time. Geez...some people! There is a small dent, scratches & the molding scuffed. Since the scratches are on the door & rear panel they need to clear coat a large area. All & all less than a foot of damage, but $1500 for the repairs...so I'm glad you got all her info!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
dmurphy said:
So, my wife, son and I were at the supermarket yesterday ... we pulled in, parked, and were discussing which cart to take (the regular cart, the stroller or the fancy-schmancy cart that looks like a race car so my son can be amused while we shop...)

Anyway, we feel a bump and look to the right, and there's a Toyota Camry smushed against my door!

This lady was paying absolutely NO attention, cut the wheel too hard, and hit my Acadia. Scratched up the door and the "bumper rail" along the door. No dents (that I can see), but there's paint gouged, scratched and chipped away.

She didn't even know she hit me! All she kept saying was "I don't have time for this, I have to pick my son up at sunday school." I told her that we're going to have to do something. She said "oh, it's not dented, it's fine." I told her "it's not fine, you hit my car, you're going to have to do something about it!"

Finally, I got her to give me all her info - name, insurance, etc. I took pictures (love my BlackBerry Storm!) and now I'll get an estimate done tomorrow at the dealer's body shop.

Whether she wants to pay out of pocket or through insurance, I don't know. I'll find out, I guess, when I get the insurance estimate!
:banghead: :uzi:

"I don't have time for this, I have to pick my son up at sunday school."

I bet she'll have time when her insurance bills her for the damages; although it might be tougher without a police report

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jsimms said:
dmurphy said:

:banghead: :uzi:

"I don't have time for this, I have to pick my son up at sunday school."

I bet she'll have time when her insurance bills her for the damages; although it might be tougher without a police report
My understanding is that I have 10 days to file a police report, even after the fact. Or so I've heard (nothing official, just what a friend went through in a similar situation). We'll see what the estimate comes in at, and where we go from there.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
a police report.

Where I live, the police won't do a report if the collision happens in a parking lot. They let the insurance companies duke it out and claim they don't have time for that type of thing.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jsimms said:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5115.0

Did you get a chance to vote on the above poll? If you did, will you change your parking preferences now that someone tapped your Acadia?
I did vote, and it was for "first available", which is how I'll continue. Welcome to New Jersey -- too many cars, not enough space.

99 out of 100 times, there just aren't open rows - you have to take what's there .... :)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GAR said:
Copperhead13 said:
a police report.

Where I live, the police won't do a report if the collision happens in a parking lot. They let the insurance companies duke it out and claim they don't have time for that type of thing.
You're right; here in Arizona if an accident happens in a parking lot i.e. Safeway then the police consider that private property and no report is made. I wonder if that is your situation

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
GAR said:
Copperhead13 said:
a police report.

:ditto: unless there is personal injury or hit and run... your is boarder line hit and run if she hadnt given you any info at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I work in Uninsured Subrogation for a large insurance carrier and I would call her insurance carrier right away to verify that she has active coverage for this accident. I see many claims they have no coverage and you will be stuck possibly paying a deductible. If at all possible, always try to get a police report. Many times we can't collect from the other carrier without a police report and you will never get your deductible back. Glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
423 Posts
my two cents...and that is all it is worth...pay it forward!
my wife hit a car supposedly and there was a dent...1100 dollars worth and we have heard nothing from the guy. people have said how nice he is, guess they were not lying. i have had many scratches, gouges, dents and let them the little ones go, maybe im getting it back?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shellet said:
I work in Uninsured Subrogation for a large insurance carrier and I would call her insurance carrier right away to verify that she has active coverage for this accident. I see many claims they have no coverage and you will be stuck possibly paying a deductible. If at all possible, always try to get a police report. Many times we can't collect from the other carrier without a police report and you will never get your deductible back. Glad no one was hurt.
I'm actually just called my agent - State Farm is great about stuff like this. The woman perked up when I told her I got the other lady's information. She's calling me back in about 5 minutes - she had someone on the other line.

I'm pretty sure this lady has coverage - her vehicle was almost new, her insurance card had valid dates on it, and this was in a relatively well-to-do area. Call it profiling, but my guess is that the well-dressed lady with a 1-year-old in the backseat in a new Toyota probably has insurance on it.... I could very well be wrong, but I hope not ;)

I just got back from the dealer's body shop, and we're looking at $1000 worth of damage. I'm just going through insurance at this point - no reason not to.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
dmurphy said:
...She didn't even know she hit me! All she kept saying was "I don't have time for this, I have to pick my son up at sunday school." I told her that we're going to have to do something. She said "oh, it's not dented, it's fine." I told her "it's not fine, you hit my car, you're going to have to do something about it!"

It's sad the pace of life is so great that even on a Sunday someone does not have time to take responsibility for their actions.

They must not have been teaching from the book of Romans that day. :)

Good thinking taking pictures w/ the Crackberry. Those will tend to disprove any amazing stories the other driver may tell their insurance company.

Having lived in both places and worked in one, I know your area has a much larger tax base and correspondingly more police per square inch. Of course, they also have many more calls for service. When I supervised a shift in an area of 300,000+ permanent and about twice that during tourist season, I was lucky to have three officers to respond to crashes outside of city limits. The Sheriff did not work any crashes at that time. It was not unusual for people to have to wait 1.5~2 hours for a report. It is hard to justify sending a unit to a parking lot for a minor crash when there are ones holding blocking the roadway, etc. Most agencies utilize a response protocol similar to triage in the medical field- the most serious stuff comes first.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
dmurphy said:
...She didn't even know she hit me! All she kept saying was "I don't have time for this, I have to pick my son up at sunday school." I told her that we're going to have to do something. She said "oh, it's not dented, it's fine." I told her "it's not fine, you hit my car, you're going to have to do something about it!"

It's sad the pace of life is so great that even on a Sunday someone does not have time to take responsibility for their actions.

They must not have been teaching from the book of Romans that day. :)

Good thinking taking pictures w/ the Crackberry. Those will tend to disprove any amazing stories the other driver may tell their insurance company.

Having lived in both places and worked in one, I know your area has a much larger tax base and correspondingly more police per square inch. Of course, they also have many more calls for service. When I supervised a shift in an area of 300,000+ permanent and about twice that during tourist season, I was lucky to have three officers to respond to crashes outside of city limits. The Sheriff did not work any crashes at that time. It was not unusual for people to have to wait 1.5~2 hours for a report. It is hard to justify sending a unit to a parking lot for a minor crash when there are ones holding blocking the roadway, etc. Most agencies utilize a response protocol similar to triage in the medical field- the most serious stuff comes first.
So, I spoke to my agent today ... She submitted the claim, and basically at this point, I get the dubious honor of paying my deductible until they recover it from her insurance .... I know these things take time, but we shall see.

The only way this could've happened was to have her hit me. I simply couldn't reach her bumper from my doors.

Here's to hoping she doesn't make something up .... and again, if she does, I've got some pics. They're blurry, but they're pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
You know I am pretty mad that someone hit you while you were parked and they were turning into a parking space; I mean c'mon put the #$^%& phone down or whatever was distracting and pay attention. :banghead: Paying attention is free. Then people wonder why their insurance rates go up; my wife works for Farmer's so I hear all about accidents

There I had to get that off my chest :soapbox:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jsimms said:
You know I am pretty mad that someone hit you while you were parked and they were turning into a parking space; I mean c'mon put the #$^%& phone down or whatever was distracting and pay attention. :banghead: Paying attention is free. Then people wonder why their insurance rates go up; my wife works for Farmer's so I hear all about accidents

There I had to get that off my chest :soapbox:
Even worse - she did it BACKING OUT of the parking space!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Oh even better >:D Don't get me started; that woman would have never heard the end of me; I would still be yelling at her :banghead:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can tell from the photos that you were stopped and she struck your vehicle. The way the paint transfer is, there shouldn't be a problem with liability. Call your agent and have him ask your insurance carrier to reimburse your deductible when the at fault carrier accepts responsibility. Sort of a way for them to provide you with good "customer service". I send deductibles to policy holders in this situation when the other carrier gives us a verbal that they are 100% responsible. They should be willing to work for you to keep you around at renewal. It's a very soft market right now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts