GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am on a relatively long drive with the Kids. We have our 2009 Acadia with RSE (overhead DVD). I have my iPod Classic filled with 100 GBs of Movies, TV Shows, and music for the kids. We still have 600 miles to go. We figured you could use the wireless headphones with the Aux in (we can make it show up on the monitor!). We can't figure out how.

After learning that there is no way to turn on the aux video in from the front (we can see it on the front monitor when stopped, but we can't tell the overhead DVD to show it), I am starting to think that we are out of luck.

So, is there a way to make the wireless headphones play everything that can play on the video screen (Ie. the aux video in).

If not, can it we at least play wired headphones in the back (my guess is yes, since the headphone jack is part of teh car, not the overhead DVD).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Urgent: RSE Aux via headphones?

I'm not 100% sure if I understand your situation, but the headphones have a switch (position 1 and position 2) that switch between the two audio sources. (1 the DVD and the other the "stereo"). That might be your ticket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Oh, good idea. I tried that and it did not make a difference.

I can watch a DVD on the overhead screen and listen to it on the car and the headphones (source 1).
I can watch the aux video on the overhead screen and listen to it on the car, but the headphones play nothing (even when on source 2).

There are hardwired headphone jacks on the center console which I assume would work, but sort of defeats the purpose of the headphones.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I wonder if you have to change the audio source for the DVD player separately from the video. Perhaps it's a change that you need to do from the DVD with the remote.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I have found the use of Aux2 audio/video to be a bit tempermental. Here are a few of my suggestions:

1. In the back of the console between the driver seat and passenger seat, there should be a complete set of controls to allow second row passengers to control the source of audio for the headphones. If the power is off on the rear control panel, the headphones will play what is on the front radio console. So.. did you turn on, then select AUX on the rear control panel? That is probably the problem.

2. I also have an iPod with like 50Gb of kids movies. I plug it into the back of the console using a special $50 cable made by Apple. Sometimes the car will let me show the video on the rear screen, and sometimes it won't. I usually try all kinds of things to get it to work. One technique that works most often is to put in a DVD and have it playing on the front and rear screens. Now start your iPod movie (with "display on TV" activated on the iPod of course..). The screens still show DVD.. Now have someone in the rear seat aim the remote at the ceiling and press the "AUX" button.

It will all work if you are persistent. I also invested in a GMX-320 so I can see video up front while driving. Makes managing the DVD menus a lot easier!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I am going on another trip. This time, it is almost twice as far (New Hampshire to Southern Florida). I need this to work, otherwise I will be buying wired headphones to listen to the aux in.

I am going to try and futz with the console controls today (we don't leave until Friday morning, early). But if anyone has done this already, please let me know (sort of weird that NOBODY in this forum uses the RSE like this).

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, problem solved.

Need to turn the headphones to channel 2. Need to turn on the back console (the power button). Need to set the input to AUX IN.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cnr1089, Your idea to use your portable media player (in your case, an iPod) to play videos on the rear overhead is a great one. We have only been using our portable media player to listen to music in the front seat while our kids watch DVD's on the RSE overhead DVD screen. I tried to mimic the setup you described but I was unsuccesful. Perhaps you or someone else can point out if I am doing anything wrong.

I uploaded a few movies (.AVI format) to my portable media player (PMP). I've connected my PMP into both 1) the front Audio/Nav control panel Auxiliary Jack (next to the CD/DVD slot) and 2) in also in the Yellow, White & Red input jacks in the 2nd row (Back of the center armrest console for the front seat). Within all of these configurations I have have gone through trial and error with selecting, from the Front Aux Input & Rear Aux Input rfom the front panel, to the rear Aux Input on the 2nd row panel. No luck yet.

Perhaps you break this down in an "Idiot's Guide" style for me. What video formats work? What gets plugged in where? What wire(s) you use. What is selected on the Front Control Panel and/or the Back Control Panel.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of Portable Media Player do you have? What sort of cable does your PMP have for video output? I connect my iPod through the Yellow (video)/Red-White(Stereo Audio) on the Aux input for the RSE overhead (on the back of the armrest console).

First, does your PMP require you to specify that it should output video? I couldn't tell you how it can output video without knowing more about it.

Secondly, once you have the video playing and hooked up to the Yellow/Red/White (will not work through the front aux port, since it doesn't do VIDEO input), you need to open the screen, use the remote to power it on (Power button), then press the AUX button. Once this is done, then the Yellow/Red/White aux input (for the RSE) is active.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My PMP is my Blackberry Curve. I use a cable that on one side has a single male plug which plugs into the single female headset jack on the side of the BB Curve, and then transmits the media to the 3 headed Red, White, Yellow A/V male plugs. Answering that question makes me realize that video media is probably not being transmitted/output via that headset jack on the BB Curve. And I'm am unaware of if there is any video output option on the BB Curve.

Great questions from you to get me to understand this better. A quick google search in between typing this, makes me start to understand that my BB Curve is not capable of outputting video. I'll look into this more, but that certainly seems like the issue here. Bummer...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.