GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going up to the snow in a few weeks and want to get a set of snow cables. I know you can't use regular chains because of minimum clearance. I have done a few searches on the internet and can't find cables for the 18 inch tire. Anyone find them?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Be sure to take a look at the clearance between your lower strut spring mount and the tire before you buy cables. The clearance is awfully tight and there's a good chance that the cables would 'slap' the spring mount. There is no way that chains would work on this vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep...the manual says no chains. I just have to find some tight fitting cables....just can't find them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Note- Am am editing this post months after the original. After getting an email from a guy who was having problems installing the recommended scc chain model that I bought. While I could get them on.....It appears they could hit several things...possibly the lower strut and more importantly the cable hits a suspension part on the inside of the tire...I think it is called a steering knuckle.

I am going to start a new post to highlight this potential problem.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Those look like the ones that I run on my Chevy pickup. They're easy to put on and take off. I've also ran them close to 45 mph with zero problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i just got a pair of the z6 chains (cables). put them on last night and ran around in the grass in the park across the street from my house. these appear to be about the only device that would work, as the clearance between my 19's and the front strut is very small. i could not see or hear anypart of the cables hitting/rubbing on anything, but i'm wondering how it will work when the snow and ice starts building up on the cables. i'm leaving on christmas day to go to colorado for a week of skiing, so i'll post a report when i return.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have the Z cable chains also and have run them up to and at 40 mph on the Acadia, even on dry pavement for a short time before I could remove them. They are quite a bit smoother than any other cable type chain I have used on other vehicles and there are no issues with warnings from the ABS, Traction Control or AWD.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What in the name of all that is holy do you need chains for on this vehicle?! Are you people going off-road in the winter?

Studded, severe duty winter tires with AWD is already overkill for a lot of the road conditions I encounter, and I live in the Great White North™. My work vehicle is AWD with studded tires, I drive 100+ kms a day for work, and there are very few times I have considered not driving in blowing, white-out conditions. Hell, I have the M+S on the 'Cadia still and I just backed out and in of my driveway with 6" of snow in my way.

FYI: the manual says there ain't enough clearance for chains... so I wouldn't be surprised if your dealership refused a warranty claim on chain damage. Consider yourself warned. :)

There is another option; if the roads are absolutely terrible... don't drive on them. :blob:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have yet to pull my snowmobile trailer yet, but even with my Yukon, I never ventured into a spot where I needed chains. I guess a good backup if you get stuck, but I can't think about running around with them on. We've had 2 feet of snow in the last three weeks. No issues here with AWD and "regular" tires.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well not eveybody's world is quite the same. Here in California, if you want to ski in any of the many mountain resort areas, you really have to own chains even if you don't use them. There are three levels of winter road conditions in those mountain areas and when they get to stage 2 which only takes a few of inches of snow, 2wd vehicles must have chains (or cables ) and AWD vehicles with winter tires (defined as snow tires or all season tires) are ok but they MUST be CARRYING chains in case it goes to stage 3. And they do conduct roadblocks and check tires and ask to see the chains you are carrying. In 5 years of skiing several times a year, with my AWD Audi, I never put the chains on, but did have to show them at inspection several times. At stage 3, which is much heavier snow, they do require all vehicles to have chains, but in my experience they always close the roads before they get to stage three anyway.

I would add that these rules may not make sense to many, but they are the law and if you want to ski and not be turned around on your trip up the mountain if there happens to be a few inches of new snow, you have to play the game by the Highway Patrol rules.

·
Registered
118 Posts
yes, that's my reason for buying the chains (for skiing). i hope i never have to use them, but when you go to wolf creek, you must negotiate wolf creek pass to get there from the west, and at times they do close the road unless you have chains (for 2 wheel drive vehicles). i spend a lot of money and time to go skiing, and i sure don't want to miss out on knee deep fresh powder just because i don't have some chains to put on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Uh. you don't want to drive around on studded tires and AWD when it's 70 degrees outside and clear skies in SoCal. But, you could drive a few hours and be in the Sierra Nevada's where 11' of fresh pow pow could come dumping down at any time. So snow cables would be something you would want to have, so you could be getting the freshies in Mammoth or Tahoe or something, then the next day be surfing at the beach where it's 75 degrees. This is why you need snow cables.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Maybe we're stage 4 most of the winter? :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought the Super Z6 (SZ447) for my AWD Acadia with 19" tires ($73 at Amazon with free shipping). I tried them on the tires today and they fit snugly, and seem to work. It appears the front wheels have better clearance on the inside of the tire than the rear wheels. Does anyone have experience putting them on the front for AWD or the rear?

I live in Dallas but drive to Colorado and California for winter photography.

Thanks!

Dan Leffel

·
Registered
659 Posts
They should be put on the front as per page 456 in the owner's manual. Cables fall into the category of "other traction devices". This is how I have used them on this and my previous AWD vehicles and it appears to work well

·
Registered
384 Posts
Cravenfan said:
Maybe we're stage 4 most of the winter? :thumb:
Cravenfan: I don't know about you, but we have had a LOT of snow here in MA this month. I would put US at a stage 4 even. ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
newz54 said:
Amazon sells the correct model....sz447 for about 75 dollars.

Newz54, I'm curious where this specific size was specced for the stock 18" wheels? At the time that I sized mine the company's tire size list did not have a listing for ther Acadia's unusual new tire size. I had an out fitter fit them locally and we ended up with the SZ441 size. It seems to work well and I have fitted them and driven on them twice with excellect success so I'm sure there's not an issue. Just wondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a great reference that does have the ACADIAs tire size (at least mine at 255 65R18).

http://www.scc-chain.com/Traction Pages/Trac_app_guide.asp

I have a pair of Super Z LTs that I use with my T-100 4x4 when it gets real bad. Unfortunately they are ZT 741 and the website recommends ZT747 for the Acadia. As you mentioned above, the SZ441s fit, so I may try out the 741s and see how well they snug on.

Here's the 255 65R 18 chain sizes

SCC Products for: 255/65-18
Super-Z LT ZT 747
Z-Chain Z-579
Super Z6 SZ 447
Whitestar WS 1707
Quik Grip Non-Reinforced CAM Single QG 2228 CAM
Quik Grip Non-Reinforced CAM Dual QG 4228 CAM
Quik Grip Non-Reinforced Single QG 2228
Radial Chain LT TC 2512MM
Quik Grip Reinforced Single QG 2828
Quik Grip Reinforced Dual QG 4828

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think it's kind of funny that the people who are talking about the snow chains come from two states that I do not exactly envision in getting that much snow. :-\

1 - 20 of 63 Posts