GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a thread a few months ago about locating snow chains... specifically tire cables for the acadia 18 inch wheels. In my post I mentioned I had found some very low clearance tire cables from scc chains. The company recommends sz 447 of their Super z6 line. I couldn't find them locally so I ordered them from amazon. I never had to use them as the snow was not too bad but an acadia member wrote to me saying that he had problems installing his unit. I finally decided to try them on dry pavement to see what he was talking about. YIKES. While they do fit...on my car they rub or hit several suspension parts.

I know several people have purchased the same unit and didn't have a problem....but as the pictures show.....the clearance looks terrible. Some guys bought the light truck version off these cables but they are even thicker than the one I bought so I can't imagine them having a better time with their units.

Maybe with more fussing...the cables would work but it appears the inside cables come too low and interfere with the tire suspension.

Just want to throw up a red flag.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
THANKS for the flagging this problem. Good pictures!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Newz54,

How often do you need to use chains? Here is another solution. They aren't cheap, but work well and I have never seen them damage the car body. They are expensive, but much cheaper than body repair. They can be installed in about two minutes or less. I used them for about 7 years on my Acura

http://www.spikes-spiderusa.com/

·
Registered
659 Posts
I drove over 80 miles through some very harsh conditions on the SZ441s earlier this week. Constant heavy falling new snow over hard pack and ice. They seem to fit fine. I did not hear any untoward noises and since seeing your post, I went and inspected the strut uprights and I don't see any signs of contact at the points in question. I did not have a sizing chart from the manufacturer when I bought mine, rather the outfitter actually test fitted and inspected them to arrive at the size. Considering that the clearance issue is a strut intrusion rather than a tire size issue, I suspect the manufacturer would not know of the issue on this particular car as I'll bet they just size to a tire generically. I suspect the SZ441 may have a larger inner diameter (smaller tread width) than your size as the blue inner wire diameter did not seem to get anywhere as near to the upright as your photo. Hard to tell without putting the two side by side.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GerryL,
Your 441's are obviously a better fit. As you noticed, these seem to ride very low on the inner surface of the tire. Maybe I could cheat the chains forward enough to prevent that. Still, I am puzzled how others with the 447's got them to work.

BigBear Craig,
Thanks for the link. I'll probably do nothing as these chains were for a recent trip up to Big Bear. I go once every five years so I am not going to worry about it too much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe you guys should try reading the owners manual!!.. :confused:

Quote from 2008 Manual:

"Do not use tire chains. There is not enough clearance. Tire chains used on a vehicle without the proper amount of clearance can cause damage to the brakes, suspension or other vehicle parts. The area damaged by the tire chains could cause you to lose control of your vehicle and you or others may be injured in a crash. Use another type of traction device only if its manufacturer recommends it for use on your vehicle and tire size combination and road conditions. Follow that manufacturer’s instructions. To help avoid damage to your vehicle, drive slowly, readjust or remove the device if it is contacting your vehicle, and do not spin your vehicle’s wheels. If you do find traction devices that will fit, install them on the front tires."

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have read it and actually the devices we are talking about are in the category of "Other type of traction device" as recommended in the manual. They are cables, they are much narrower than actual chains and have no actual chain link elements. The word chain is used here only in the figurative sense. Many auto manuals disapprove actual chains but do allow cables as long as they clear, which is the discussion issue here.

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I can't tell exactly how much is hitting, but any chance you could clearance the struts with a die grinder? Is just the blue cable part hitting, or also the cable part on the edge of the tire?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think its just the cable that hits. I am going to try to position it again to see if I can get better clearance. The cable only requires 1/4 clearance on the tire surface but 1 inch on the sidewall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Newz54,

Thanks for your email alerting me to your new post. This is the exact same problem I was seeing when I got my sz447. I even jacked the front tire up to spin it and view where it was hitting. The best I can tell is that only one section of the blue cable rubs the strut (if you get the cables spaced out evenly over the tire). It only seemed to be lacking about 1/8 inch clearance on only one section. I ended up calling the SCC chain company and talked to a rep named Chuck. He was very helpful as I described the problem to him. He compared all the specs of the cable chain types, and different sizes. His advice was to try the other models they offer. He did ask me to call him back with my results and I will try to do that this week. Chuck had not heard about this problem from other Acadia owners but stated it was getting harder each year to make their product fit due to continual shrinking clearances. He guessed it might be possible that with centrifugal force, the cables might expand just enough to clear, but he couldn't guarantee this. I am going to call Chuck back and see if they could manufacture a short extension connector for the inside connection. I think this would increase the diameter and solve the problem.

I went out and bought a pair of ZT 447 (light truck version) and the z579 Z chain type from local auto parts store. The ZT version had the same problem. The Z chain cleared the strut, but without the chain tightener, I could pull up on the cross links to the point that I was worried the cross link would catch on the spring housing. So, I bit the bullet and tried my sz 447s (z6 model) on wet rainy pavement, and I didn't hear any rubbing. After running a few blocks at 25-30 mph, I removed the chains and inspected them. I only noticed a slight roughness on the blue cable on about a 2 inch section. I was headed to the mountains the next day, and of course, by the time I got there the chain restrictions were lifted.

Other than that, Autozone carries a cable chain that is a ladder style and uses tighteners. I am going to get a pair and dry fit them. Until then, I will use the sz 447 and inspect very carefully after use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i know this thread has been about the 18" wheels, but here is my experience with the 19's.

i ordered the z6 sz447 cables from amazon as well for my ski trip to wolf creek in colorado. i ultimately did not need to use them, but i did test them in a field before i left (on both front and back tires). they seemed to have clearance (not a lot, but enough), and running in the grass at 25 mph did not seem to have any problem rubbing on anything. i'm not sure you could put anything else on this vehicle, as i think these cables are the thinnest available.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear they work on 19 inch tires.

I got a response from scc chains. I sent them the photos and they said it appeared to be installed correctly. The guy said the issue I have is similar to one they had a few years back with a chevy avalanche. They suggested switching to the z chains series (model z-579) because the inner chain doesn't ride as low as the other models. Since I bought these a while back from amazon...switching is probably out of the question.

btw...if you google z-579 you will see problems with this chain and toyota 4 runners with 18 inch tires.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
highwayman said:
both the clearance problem on the Arcadia[/color] and the issue with the Avalanche are solveable w correct sizin & a simple mod -- :angel:

done here -- www.chainsbysnowbird.com by the highwayman
:eek: :jaw:

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
I remember that on saturns- they said not to use chains-
they had these plastic things that you screwed into place on the tires- and they had cleets of some sort----
I wonder if they offer them on the lambdas...
this was a GM thing.

·
Registered
659 Posts
rbarrios said:
I remember that on saturns- they said not to use chains-
they had these plastic things that you screwed into place on the tires- and they had cleets of some sort----
I wonder if they offer them on the lambdas...
this was a GM thing.
On all of the Lambdas, it says in the owner's manual not to use chains but rather to use alternate traction devices. There are many variations on alternate devices, including; cables (the most common), clamp on devices, and traction "socks". Incidently, it does say that when using the traction devices on a single end of an AWD lambda vehicle that they should be attached to the front wheels.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
Nice, but at more than $500? Well, at least they do give a free carrying bag with it...so maybe.
:eek: At that price they should install themselves

1 - 20 of 36 Posts