GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went outside this evening to get stuff into the Acadia and came upon a horrifying sight -- my wife was dragging a snow brush and its bristling array of nylon daggers across the White Diamond Tri-Coat. :'(

My suggestion that she just leave it and let the wind blow it off was met with a look only a photo could properly represent.

So what to do? Are there any gentle snow tools out there that don't threaten my paint (and by extension, my marriage and 10-20 years of freedom)?? Was I making much ado about nothing?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Brush on windows=Fine
Brush on paint=Okay, ONLY if it's just to skim some off but not touch the paint

It's the same as if you were to drag a brush across the paint any other time, i.e. scratching, however small. Hence why I stick to the brushing off most (well, when I'm actually in snow...which is rare), but not touching the paint directly.

Or, the coated & gloved arm & hand work well...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggested she use her arm too...that went over about as well as the drive-it-off thing. ;D ::)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Something like this maybe? http://www.topoftheline-travel.com/auto-snow-remover-broom-rake.html I wrap a towel around the brush end of a snow brush.

I cannot just let the wind take the snow off as I am driving. It is one of those pet peeves. A dusting, no biggie, but get a few inches up there and watch out! Over the past 3 years, the MPs here have dealt with enough cars actually driving off the road because of snow falling off the car in front of them. Just one of those things! :beatdown:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Just had this same internal debate yesterday with the snow up here. I did all the windows, banged the ice off my bumper (with the bristles) and just barely skimmed the surface of the hood to get the snow off. Not sure if there is a (soft) brush that will work with heavy snow.

I'm going to try and use it as infrequently as possible. My garage helps at night...not at work however.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Snoukems said:
Something like this maybe? http://www.topoftheline-travel.com/auto-snow-remover-broom-rake.html I wrap a towel around the brush end of a snow brush.

I cannot just let the wind take the snow off as I am driving. It is one of those pet peeves. A dusting, no biggie, but get a few inches up there and watch out! Over the past 3 years, the MPs here have dealt with enough cars actually driving off the road because of snow falling off the car in front of them. Just one of those things! :beatdown:
That's actually not a bad idea, a towel over the brush. Still gets stuff off, but isn't bristles-to-paint.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I see no naked eye brush marks when using my bristle brush over the years on the many cars I've owned. Been known to use the ice scraper too. Come next Spring, put on another coat of Acrylic sealant and if anything was there, tis gone now with showroom shine. Nothing to worry about, especially with these new clear coat finishes for the past few years. Happy brushing all!

·
Registered
108 Posts
First heavy snow the other day! I couldn't use a snow bush, just couldn't. I used my car washing brush, it worked great. much gentler bristles. As for using an ice scaper, I never have. I wait for the defroster to kick in.
Lee

·
Registered
119 Posts
I remember the second time we got heavy snow in Toronto it turned into hard blocks of snow or even ice! We were getting on the 401 and there was this Caravan in front of us which wasn't brushed off when it should have been. Once we both got up to 100km/h some of the blocks of snow/ice from its roof started sliding off, hit the roof rack and went flying 15 feet into the air on the highway! A couple cars got hit on their hood and windshields, and a block of snow smashed to the ground a couple of feet in front of our car.

What I'm saying is please consider the safety of others on the road before the appearance of your car. Its a lot easier to bring back the finish of your paint than it is trying to bring back someone's life.

·
Registered
384 Posts
jonv112; I have seen the same thing happen here in New England. :mad: I almost got creamed behind a pickup on the freeway that did not clean the snow off his roof. I think most of us are getting the snow off, here on this forum. We are a responsible bunch, right? Cautious, but responsible. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts