GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know people have posted about the performance of the Acadia in the snow and ice and for the most part ive heard nothing but good things, however, being skeptical mainly of the all season tires, but also of the ability to start in cold weather, i had to wait to try myself.

Being in Northern BC Canada we get our fair share of snow and lately, more than our fair share of cold weather. About a month ago i woke up to 8 inches of snow, which is nothing unusual and the Acadia drove down unplowed streets without difficulty. The snow kept coming and although my mudflaps and front air dam plowed through the snow a bit, it was easy to drive through and the assisted breaking and traction control worked great. The only problem i could find was that all my efforts to do donuts in snowy parking lots was hindered by the traction and braking systems! Perhaps that is for the best.

Two days ago I woke up to -35 Celsius (about -25 Fahrenheit), which took some major effort to get our 2002 Duramax Diesel started, jump starting and all the rest, mind you, it is a diesel which are known for having troubles in the cold. So i thought, why not try the acadia without being plugged in, and although i wouldn't recommend it, the acadia started fine, ran a little rough for the first 10 seconds, and then settled down fine.

Now with any luck Santa will bring me the heated seat kit!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What Acadia do you own?
AWD, FWD, etc.?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, yeah i suppose that would be good info to give. It is the AWD.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey Matt,
Living in the great white north, how does the Acadia wiper system hold up? We had about 14" of snow here last Friday and driving home was a breeze. With one exception... the Bosch Icon wipers kept icing up on me (just had heated fluid system repaired yesterday, so that may help). I had to stop 3 or 4 times, get out and get the ice off of the wipers.

What do you do to minimize the icing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have noticed that when i used the heated washer fluid i do get a bit of ice up along the bottom of the windshield but the wipers themselves haven't iced up to the point where they weren't doing the job. I assume the same would happen if i hadn't used the heated, but i have to confess there was some snow build up on the hood and i was playing a bit of a game trying to blast through it with the heated fluid. I haven't had any problems with the wipers doing their job, heavy wet snow, or driving in a blizzard. When it was really cold the wipers got really stiff and seemed to just skip across the glass rather than squeegee it, but then again it was REALLY cold and i guess when you think about it, all season wipers would be a lot like summer tires in the sense that the rubber is more prone to freezing than the winter versions. I imagine, as in your case, if they started to ice up while driving that the heated fluid should help to clear things up a bit. I try to keep the bottom of the windshield clear of ice so that when the wipers are idle they don't have a tendency to freeze up. Anyone else have any winter tips they have learned thus far?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks Matt,

Now that I have the heated system back, I'll use that to help keep the wipers clear of ice. But without the heat, I sure had a tough time seeing. We were getting between 1 and 2 inches per hour at the time... but I was disappointed at the ice build up. Past vehicles (2004 Suburban, 2002 Silverado 2500HD, 1999 Yukon) always had Anco Winter Blades that worked very well. I had hoped the Bosch Icon could handle our easier winters in southern New England.

Any advice from others?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seems an anti-freeze type of windshield washing fluid would be a needed thing in those climates. We get the zero degree F kind of cold only for a week to two out of the year where i tread. But I still use a fluid that's good for up to -25 degrees normally during the winter months.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, that is a good point. i went to top up the fluid in our Duramax the other day and when i grabbed the jug the fluid was frozen solid. At least the fuel was winter diesel and wasn't cold enough to hit the cloud or gel point (points at which the diesel won't flow through the fuel filter or injectors), sucks when that happens. Anyways, i imagine if summer washer fluid ended up in the heated washer system and then froze all sorts of headaches could arise.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
We've had our fair share of snow and ice these past few weeks and the wipers have been giving me a bit of a headache. They tend to build up ice while I'm driving and then when I need them to clear the windshield, they do a really poor job. I'm thinking some new, differently designed wipers may cure that problem.

To keep them from freezing to the windshield overnight, if we're expecting a storm that is, I stand them straight up off the windshield when I park the Acadia for the night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a little bit of an update as the weather has progressively gotten worse. With almost 2 feet of snow in 2 days and constant freezing weather, it has been hard for equipment to keep up on the road maintenance, as a result, my Acadia got stuck for the first time :( It wasn't a little bit stuck, the kind you can rock and wiggle your way out of but more the kind that the snow was so deep on a residential road that i had begun to push up a pile in front of the car. Well after it became high centered and digging, and 3 people pushing didnt work it was time to call in a nice big truck to pull me out.

In order to mitigate embarassment as much as possible i was sure to call a friend with a Chevy pickup (don't want to be pulled out by a ford or an import). Now, correct me if im wrong but is there basically NO spot to hook on to at the back of the Acadia (no trailer package on mine) I took off the shield that blocks where the hitch would go and found almost nothing. The front was even worse.

We hooked a chain up under the back and although it pulled me back ok, my previously mint condition Acadia now has a small wrinkle in the back bumper from the chain pulling up and squishing the plastic. As to not discourage anyone i am still driving in that weather and have not gotten stuck again and i am willing to admit that i only have the all-seasons. overall, very impressed with the winter and deep snow performance. Just make sure you can be quick to disable to traction control if you really need to pin it.

My other concerns have been the buildup of ice in the wheel wells to the point where it begins to rub on the tires, especially if i go from driving around empty to putting a couple of people in the back. Not a problem for people with a garage (waiting for parts for ours). Also, if you don't clear the snow off the roof near the front of the car and it warms up as you are driving around when you arrive at the first stop sign, traffic light, or police road block (like myself) the entire sheet will slide forward, completely covering your windshield and blinding you until you have a chance to react and hit the wipers. I suppose that is why it is illegal in my area not to clear the snow from the roof.

Hope everyone is enjoying the new year.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
mattrourke said:
My other concerns have been the buildup of ice in the wheel wells to the point where it begins to rub on the tires, especially if i go from driving around empty to putting a couple of people in the back.
I, too, experienced this over the past few weeks when we've had an unusual amount of snow. My only resolution was to get out and kick off the additional snow building up, then take my window scraper and clear out the wheel wells.

mattrourke said:
Also, if you don't clear the snow off the roof near the front of the car and it warms up as you are driving around when you arrive at the first stop sign, traffic light, or police road block (like myself) the entire sheet will slide forward, completely covering your windshield and blinding you until you have a chance to react and hit the wipers. I suppose that is why it is illegal in my area not to clear the snow from the roof.
I learned this the hard way last winter (2007). My son had cleared the snow off the Acadia for me in the morning so I could leave on time for work. I didn't pay attention to the roof. The weather was hideous. Streets were not yet plowed (6:30am) and the snow was coming down hard. I came to a stop at a light just before entering the tollway and the entire sheet of snow on my roof slid down and covered the windshield rending my wipers useless. I had to get out of the Acadia, in traffic, and clear off my windshield before I could proceed. I now make sure that I get a broom out and brush the snow off the top of the Acadia before I drive it anywhere. :)

I have yet to get my Acadia stuck in the snow. I did drive into my boyfriend's driveway which at the time had a good 18 inches in it and admittedly the Acadia was a little stuck. He told me it'd get stuck. So to prove a point, I got that sucker out by rocking it back and forth until we were free. Only took a few minutes. I was a little worried at first though. ::) Our streets have never been not clear enough that I would build up snow in front of the Acadia. I did see it happen to a Chrysler 300 though and that incident ended up blocking the entrance ramp to the tollway. Last big snow we had, I could hear snow scraping the bottom of the Acadia while I was driving in tire ruts with snow buildup down the center of the lane. Overall, for a FWD vehicle, I'd say it handles really well in our area. Of course, Chicago can't compete with the frozen tundra that is Canada. :p ;D

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I'm glad I don't live in a snow region; heat yes; snow not here ;D

·
Registered
60 Posts
mattrourke said:
The only problem i could find was that all my efforts to do donuts in snowy parking lots was hindered by the traction and braking systems! Perhaps that is for the best.
mmmmm. donuts. That brought back a lot!!

The cold weather you can have... but I guess I am a freak b/c I just love driving in the snow and have done way plenty of it back in the day. You can't look at cars and guess what'll be good in the snow or not - there's just no substitute for a field test.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We got our first real snow of the season yesterday... I think it was 5-6". My FWD performed wonderfully. I've got a lot of experience driving in the snow over the years. I was passing all the cars & 4X4s that were doing 20mph... I had no issue doing 45mph. The stock 18" all season goodyears performed very well also. I can't wait to get some deeper snow to see how well the Acadia works in it. Also highly impressed w/ the traction control on slick starts.

Now the ice we had a while back was a totally different story... I don't care what you drive (w/o studded tires)... Ice IS NOT fun. ABS got it's workout that day.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I'm glad the Acadia performed to your liking. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well it looks like I got my wish... you know the old saying "be careful what you wish for. We got about another 8" overnight on top of our 3-4 from yesterday. We have a really long driveway and we can't park in the garage (full).. I did have to turn the traction control off in order to rock out of the drifts on both ends.. but after that.. the FWD Acadia drove right out and over the pile left by the snow plow at the street.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The consensus appears to be - from reading this thread and a few others - that FWD with the 18" wheels/tires like we have will do quite well in snow. Sounds like Web Raven has been all over Chicago in all sorts of snow... but what about someone with FWD who doesn't live someplace quite so, uh, well, flat?!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts