GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Acadians,

I returned this evening from a week of vacation during which I got to add some break-in miles to my '09. I totally enjoyed the driving experience, and got to see how my SLT handled a variety of driving conditions. The trip consisted of approx. 85% highway miles and speeds were mostly from 65-75 mph (hit 80 once - quite smooth). Including the dealer fill-up, I've had 4 full tanks. The calculated mpg's (non-DIC) were as good as predicted. The worst mpg (on 305 miles) was 18.6, and the best mpg (on 479 miles) was 24.6 mpg. I am stoked with that! The lowest two were comprised partially of misc. city / hill driving, especially on the elevations gains towards Lake Tahoe. My final fill-up after 479 miles [/color] took 19.5 gal. I could have actually reached home (515 miles) in Santa Barara beginning at Truckee, CA near North Lake Tahoe. And that included a weekend stop-over in the SF Bay area. I found that the DIC matched very closely to the pencilled calcs on the longer segments. The actual mpg on the final full-up was 24.6 and the DIC indicated 24.7.

My top favorite things about the Acadia are:

1) Great feel on the road - handling - sufficient power - quiet ride
2) Navigation radio & associated features
3) Voice commands - Bluetooth
4) MPG
5) HUD with integrated navigation cues

Most suprising find:

HUD displays your speed when driving backwards while the analog speedo does not move in "reverse" beyond zero. I learned this while preparing to leave the hotel at Tahoe. I was so surprised that I drove forward again in the parking lot and gave it a second try.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Smooth, I am glad that you had a good trip and enjoyed the new ride. Those MPG calculations are wonderful.

I do have one concern about your trip. :eek:hno:

Smooth said:
HUD displays your speed when driving backwards Smooth[/color] <><
I don't think your suppose to be using the HUD to drive backwards, your suppose to use mirrors and Backup Camera Images on the Nav system. HAHAHAHA, That is odd that it works. ;D ;) :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Smooth said:
I was so surprised that I drove forward again in the parking lot and gave it a second try.[/color]
That is SO something I would have done too. LOL I'm surprised that it actually works.

Sounds like you're seeing some great MPG out of your Acadia!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bonk1313 said:
Smooth said:
HUD displays your speed when driving backwards Smooth[/color] <><
I don't think your suppose to be using the HUD to drive backwards, your suppose to use mirrors and Backup Camera Images on the Nav system. HAHAHAHA, That is odd that it works. ;D ;) :thumb:
Well, I've now thought of another "trick" to attempt - as long as I'm driving "wrong" :eek: I'll have to see what my NAV tells me to do if I'm alreay on a route and I drive backwards - in the direction of my destination. I'm sure it won't care which way I'm driving - as long as I'm making progress ;D

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, Smooth, two things are certain! No one is going to accuse you of not have a positive attitude or not adapting to new conditions. Take Care,
BD

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
That is odd the speedometer doesn't register. I had a 2003 Impala as my last company car & occasionally drove in reverse for short distances and as I recall it functioned the same and the miles went forward. I know the F**d Crown Victorias did the same thing. I could see this being the case with a cable drive, but nowadays all is electronic.

Glad all is working out well for you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Smooth said:
Most suprising find:

HUD displays your speed when driving backwards while the analog speedo does not move in "reverse" beyond zero. I learned this while preparing to leave the hotel at Tahoe. I was so surprised that I drove forward again in the parking lot and gave it a second try.

Smooth[/color] <><
Did it display a negative speed in your HUD? It should, it should!! Because you are driving backwards! :blob:

Great write-up. Thanks!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, it was a positive number. Some day when I'm feeling brave I'll find an open spot and see if I can at least get "double digits" in reverse ;)[/color]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Remember the backup sensor stops working if you are moving over 5 mph. :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks GAR - I would have forgotten that ???. I wasn't planning to "drive by camera". I could just imagine the insurance report on a "rear end collision" caused by someone driving down the road (backwards) using the rear view camera!

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
GAR said:
Well, pfft, that wouldn't do me a whole lotta good. Who backs up less than 5 mph? ;D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just for grins, here are some mpg stats on the build-up of my 479 miles I drove on a tank this past weekend coming "off" the mountain (per the DIC):

MPG @ THIS many miles[/color]

29 107

27 201

26.8 224

25 359

24.7 479

I won't be this inquisitive about my future MGP, but this was my first opportunity to see how I did on a full tank of mostly highway driving.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that I've got 2,000 miles on my SLT-2 & am getting used to it (still feels really new to me ;D) I'll share a few comments about my recent use. First, it's not my "daily ride", but my weekend car & my going out of town ride. This week I made two trips out of town shopping for furniture. In each case I'd made a list of destinations. I used my NAV to get me to my destinations, and it was so helpful. Some of the locations were in business districts & industrial areas & not having the NAV would have really slowed me down.

When I got hungry for lunch, I used my POI to display eateries in decending order of proximity. That was so cool. I just ran down a very long list & found something to my likings & pushed the "GO" button & off I went. It's such a nice ride & I love the sound of the Bose stereo. I may get hooked on XM after all. I find that I'm driving often enough to consider it a worthy expense.

Well, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
60 Posts
Web Raven said:
GAR said:
Well, pfft, that wouldn't do me a whole lotta good. Who backs up less than 5 mph? ;D
nice!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Smooth said:
Now that I've got 2,000 miles on my SLT-2 & am getting used to it (still feels really new to me ;D) I'll share a few comments about my recent use. First, it's not my "daily ride", but my weekend car & my going out of town ride. This week I made two trips out of town shopping for furniture. In each case I'd made a list of destinations. I used my NAV to get me to my destinations, and it was so helpful. Some of the locations were in business districts & industrial areas & not having the NAV would have really slowed me down.

When I got hungry for lunch, I used my POI to display eateries in decending order of proximity. That was so cool. I just ran down a very long list & found something to my likings & pushed the "GO" button & off I went. It's such a nice ride & I love the sound of the Bose stereo. I may get hooked on XM after all. I find that I'm driving often enough to consider it a worthy expense.

Well, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it.

Smooth[/color] <><
XM is an awfully nice thing on a long trip... I was among their first 100K subscribers. They changed around the music channels in November and killed off my favorites, but I'm still hanging on to it. Besides, what else are you going to do with 36 presets on a radio?

Love roadtrips in our Acadia. Love 'em. Someday, I'm going to pack a DVD and sit in back. At least I keep saying so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts