GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just pulled the vehicle in our garage yesterday and i notice smoke/steam coming out from the front grille, she said she started noticing it 10mins after driving. i opened the hood and checked and everything seems fine. the temps is running normal and theres no leak anywhere. it was drizzling outside so i was suspecting it just water heating some hot spots in the engine causing some steam or smoke. so i let it pass.... ???

now tonight, i drove her to work as i was expecting a worse weather tommorow and as soon as i started the car (after a whole day of sitting in the garage), there it goes again a steady flow of smoke coming out fron the grille behind the GMC logo. Once again i checked, everything seems ok!!! dont know where its coming from!!! ???

i dont know if this a repost as i think i came across a topic like this before but couldnt find it via the search feature. Would love to hear your ideas concerning the "phenomenom" before i took it to the dealer for a check after just 4 days of ownership. thanks in advance!!!! :help:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Get the steam going, and turn off the lights.
Use a laser to locate the steam source, the laser works great for this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe this came up in the topic about going through a car wash. There were quite a few theories on it the thread.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Check the outside temp. Like condensation on a cold mirror when taking a shower, any vapor hitting cold air will show up. If you see it only at night or early morning, then thats all it is. I am not sure where you live, but if it warms up in the middle of the day and you see it, then I would be more worried.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Mine steams quite a bit after going through the car wash, but that's really the only time I notice it. Our old Odyssey did the same thing

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
SioXie said:
i dont know if this a repost as i think i came across a topic like this before but couldnt find it via the search feature. Would love to hear your ideas concerning the "phenomenom" before i took it to the dealer for a check after just 4 days of ownership. thanks in advance!!!! :help:
I had started a thread similiar to this about mine.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2763.0
I only had/have this problem after going through a car wash. I haven't had it happen just because of rain or anything else. YOU just picked this up within a week, I would take it to the dealership for them to look at it.
Could it be possible that your leaking a fluid somewhere in the engine compartment, that would be hitting a hot spot to cause the steam?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bonk1313 said:
SioXie said:
I had started a thread similiar to this about mine.
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2763.0
I only had/have this problem after going through a car wash. I haven't had it happen just because of rain or anything else. YOU just picked this up within a week, I would take it to the dealership for them to look at it.
Could it be possible that your leaking a fluid somewhere in the engine compartment, that would be hitting a hot spot to cause the steam?
just as i thought, i know i read your thread somewhere just cant find it. Thanks for all the input guys, will be taking the Acadia back to the dealer just for a check, im also suspecting the same thing. started her up this morning and no more smoke/steam. I know there was no leak... if everything turns out ok, i can live with it... just a bit akward as others may suspect my vehicle is overheating..... ;D

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the Acadia to the dealer yesterday and told them about my problem. After about an hour of waiting, they said everything is fine, no leaks and no cracks, all fluids are in normal level. Ask them if theres any chance water outside is draining into the engine, they answered no way. Told me to watch out if it happens again, to watch the temp gauge and bring the vehicle asap. ??? inquired if it ever happened to other owners, still got the same response --- "none so far".

So i went home, give the keys to my wife and prayed it will never happen agian. Im tired doing errands!!! ;D

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mine has done it several times. It has always been caused by rain or water entering the grill area. I have never had a leak or any mechanical problem. Unless your's is different I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
SioXie said:
...wife...errands!!!...
Two things inextricably tied I'm afraid. ;D

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Traclavelook said:
SioXie said:
...wife...errands!!!...
YOU HIT THE JACKPOT!!! she still has no idea about this forum...... ;D

·
Registered
263 Posts
SioXie said:
Traclavelook said:
SioXie said:
...wife...errands!!!...
YOU HIT THE JACKPOT!!! she still has no idea about this forum...... ;D
Listen Buddies.... Not nice to talk about the wives when they're not able to defend themselves... Shame on you two! SioXie...I'm calling your wife...... Oooooo, I'm telling! :police:!

So here's the story....Things always happen to us....really it's not our fault! I swear!! ;) And then when we try to explain...it just comes out like gibberish. Learn the language men...it is a form of English however it has a little Ebonics and Sign Language mushed up in it!! If that doesn't work...learn to read her/our mind...that will totally score points. We may not know the technical terms for everything... but we do know what we see, hear, smell, feel and..... taste....I have no idea about that one, but just in case it ever came up, I wanted it listed as well!! ;D (That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...plus that's my STORY, and I AM sticking to it!!)

FYI, the being a woman card only works if your husband doesn't think you know how to read a manual or a Forum....I guess I fold!![/color] How about you Raven??

As far as doing errands with your wife, SioXie, can I ask you a question??...How many DAYS, exactly were you forced to live a day in womens/your wifes shoes? Just an innocent question...you don't have to answer if it is too embarrassing! ;) :rofl:

·
Registered
249 Posts
O.k....I'm actually a little concerned. Does SioXie wear his wife's shoes? ;D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Listen Buddies.... Not nice to talk about the wives when they're not able to defend themselves... Shame on you two! SioXie...I'm calling your wife...... Oooooo, I'm telling! :police:!

So here's the story....Things always happen to us....really it's not our fault! I swear!! ;) And then when we try to explain...it just comes out like gibberish. Learn the language men...it is a form of English however it has a little Ebonics and Sign Language mushed up in it!! If that doesn't work...learn to read her/our mind...that will totally score points. We may not know the technical terms for everything... but we do know what we see, hear, smell, feel and..... taste....I have no idea about that one, but just in case it ever came up, I wanted it listed as well!! ;D (That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...plus that's my STORY, and I AM sticking to it!!)

FYI, the being a woman card only works if your husband doesn't think you know how to read a manual or a Forum....I guess I fold!![/color] How about you Raven??

As far as doing errands with your wife, SioXie, can I ask you a question??...How many DAYS, exactly were you forced to live a day in womens/your wifes shoes? Just an innocent question...you don't have to answer if it is too embarrassing! ;) :rofl:
One can substitute men for the women in your post as I'm certain wives talk ("complain" or "discuss") about their husbands as well.
For the record I do both roles as a parent because my wife is in the Navy and tends to be deployed-currently in Iraq on a 9 month tour.

As far as the smoke or rather steam is concerned, I've had it a couple of times. The engine is of course exposed to the elements and there are many paths water can travel to hit a hot surface.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Scotted73, is your Acadia the one that has the bumper sticker that reads "My other car is a destroyer"?
Send our prayers to your wife and keep an eye on those kids!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KarolsAcadia said:

Traclavelook said:
O.k....I'm actually a little concerned. Does SioXie wear his wife's shoes? ;D
i wont answer and i dont wear my wife's shoes!!!! all i know is that it doesnt fit me well and its a pain to walk after a day ot two!!!! ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
KarolsAcadia said:
Not married. I do my own errands and wear my own shoes. :p I drive my own Acadia too. LOL

Sioxie wouldn't last a day in my shoes... they're mostly 3 or 4" heels. ;D

Oh, and I guess to keep up with the topic, my Acadia has never taken up the terrible habit of smoking.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As many people in this thread, and the other thread. Mone only steams when I run through the car wash. (Touchless Car Wash) **** swirl marks from the dealer.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just have my car undergo these touchless car wash today to get rid of all the salt and grime, its still kinda embarrasing going down the road in a brand new ride and stopping at a stoplight with people staring at you kinda saying " nice ride buddy, too bad its overheating...." :-[ :-[ :-[ :confused: :angryfire:

I would not mind if its just the occasional car washes but now that spring is coming its gonna be smoking everytime it rains, if im living in the Chicago area i would be in debt for all the charges breaking the NO SMOKING ordinance!!!

im contemplating to make a BIG sign and stick it on my window stating: "MY RIDE IS SO HOT ITS SMOOOKING!!!" [/color] :angryfire:

1 - 20 of 70 Posts