GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Don't know if this happens to everyones Acadias. But do all of your Acadias collect carbon on the tail pipes pretty quick? I cleaned the car recently since the rain has died down here in So Cal. In a matter of just days.. hmmm guessing 4 - 5.. The tail pipes were covered in black gunk.. is this normal?? Also in the AM or evening when i start the Acadia. there is a significant amount of smoke coming out the pipes. It's not black or blue.. It's white and dissipates pretty quick! But there is more smoke coming out of this XUV than any other vehicles i've owned. Cars, SUV, V8 Trucks etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
White smoke sounds like it's burning a bit of anti-freeze! Hope it's not a head gasket leaking!! :jaw:

I get carbon inside the pipes if I'm running around town. Seems like it is a bit more than expected but appears normal. All depends on how much the engine lugs down if I drive in D all the time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You fail to mention what the outside ambient temperature is in the morning when you see this smoke. All vehicles put off "white smoke" in the mornings when they are warming up and even more so when it is cold outside. Then when the tailpipes warm up it goes away.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
MyBlackAcadia said:
Also in the AM or evening when i start the Acadia. there is a significant amount of smoke coming out the pipes. It's not black or blue.. It's white and dissipates pretty quick!
I suspect the white "smoke" is really just steam. It's normal. Your saying it occurs at startup and doesn't last long reinforces that suspicion further.

·
Registered
540 Posts
MyBlackAcadia said:
Hey all! Don't know if this happens to everyones Acadias. But do all of your Acadias collect carbon on the tail pipes pretty quick? I cleaned the car recently since the rain has died down here in So Cal. In a matter of just days.. hmmm guessing 4 - 5.. The tail pipes were covered in black gunk.. is this normal?? Also in the AM or evening when i start the Acadia. there is a significant amount of smoke coming out the pipes. It's not black or blue.. It's white and dissipates pretty quick! But there is more smoke coming out of this XUV than any other vehicles i've owned. Cars, SUV, V8 Trucks etc.
I would say the AM smoke is normal depending on the temperature. I have found the exhaust tips get black fast. I also notice the moisture dripping from the exhaust leaves black marks/puddle in my driveway. I had this same question in another posting . I think it maybe something with the 2009 DI motor. I have even looked at Acadias on the street and they all look clean except a few 2009's. I know this has happened since owning the vehicle for 3 months. I don't know if it considered normal yet. We'll see. Do you do alot of stop and go driving or mainly highway? My Acadia is heavy stop and go so far.

Bobby

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is always a cloud of black smoke when we start our Acadia and the colder it is outside, the bigger the black cloud. It is only when the car is just started though and quickly clears to white. I am hoping this is normal. :-\

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
speleos said:
White smoke sounds like it's burning a bit of anti-freeze! Hope it's not a head gasket leaking!! :jaw:

I get carbon inside the pipes if I'm running around town. Seems like it is a bit more than expected but appears normal. All depends on how much the engine lugs down if I drive in D all the time.
Wow! Well I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s not a gasket leak…

dfrank78 said:
You fail to mention what the outside ambient temperature is in the morning when you see this smoke. All vehicles put off "white smoke" in the mornings when they are warming up and even more so when it is cold outside. Then when the tailpipes warm up it goes away.
This is the reason why I mentioned AM and Evening and I’ve noticed this since we purchased the Acadia back in September. It’s been pretty cold. I’ve kind of disregarded it and used the cold weather as the reason. It’s been pretty warm here in So Cal lately so I haven’t really noticed the smoke. But The black residue on the tail pipes?

DeForger said:
MyBlackAcadia said:
I would say the AM smoke is normal depending on the temperature. I have found the exhaust tips get black fast. I also notice the moisture dripping from the exhaust leaves black marks/puddle in my driveway. I had this same question in another posting . I think it maybe something with the 2009 DI motor. I have even looked at Acadias on the street and they all look clean except a few 2009's. I know this has happened since owning the vehicle for 3 months. I don't know if it considered normal yet. We'll see. Do you do alot of stop and go driving or mainly highway? My Acadia is heavy stop and go so far.

Bobby
Thanks for the input. I’m going to start paying attention to 2008 and prior models and check out their rear ends! ;)

I'm really hoping this is not any major issue with our Acadia. Again, i've had my fair share of modded cars, SUV's, Trucks, never seen this much residue build up on the tail pipes in such short amount of time.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I would be more concerned about the smoke than the black residue on the exhaust tips. My 07 has the same build up; I guess I'll see when it comes time for a smog certification

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 08 also builds up the black residue on the tailpipes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jsimms said:
I would be more concerned about the smoke than the black residue on the exhaust tips. My 07 has the same build up; I guess I'll see when it comes time for a smog certification
I'm not so much concerned about the residue build up. Reason why I keep mentioning that is, I figure if there is build up. There's got to be unwanted smoke coming out of my tail pipes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Only thing I could find even remotely related to this was...

#09-06-05-001: Information on Sulfur Odor from Exhaust - (Jan 30, 2009)

Subject: Information on Sulfur Odor from Exhaust

Models: 2007-2010 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)

2007-2010 HUMMER H2, H3

2007-2010 Saab 9-7X

with Gasoline-Powered Engines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important: This bulletin is not applicable to vehicles operating in Canada on Canadian sourced fuels. Canadian regulations limit the amount of sulfur in gasoline to 80 PPM or less for all gasoline marketed in Canada with no exemptions.

Federal regulations limit the amount of sulfur in gasoline to 80 PPM (some states have lower limits; for example, California’s limit is 30 PPM). The federal exception to this rule is an allowance for qualifying small refineries that permits up to 450 PPM until January 1, 2011. Sulfur odor in exhaust from vehicles equipped with gasoline engines is caused by excess sulfur in the gasoline and it cannot be eliminated unless the source of the sulfur is eliminated.

Important : Replacement of catalytic converters for this condition is not an appropriate repair and will not correct the condition by itself.

Do This : Change brands of gasoline.

Don't Do This: DO NOT replace the catalytic converter.

Customers with vehicles that exhibit this condition should be advised of the information in this bulletin and be asked to switch the brand of gasoline that they are using. In most cases, this will result in elimination of the sulfur odor by the time one tank full of gasoline is consumed if the gasoline that was added is within the 80 PPM federal limit.

In order for the odor to be eliminated. two things must occur. First, the gasoline added to the vehicle must be at or below the federal 80 PPM limit. Secondly, the vehicle must have run long enough to have consumed one tank of fuel containing a sulfur content of 80 PPM or less.

Although there is no way for a dealership to easily measure the amount of sulfur in gasoline, it’s a good practice when asked for a recommended brand of gasoline to recommend any of the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline Brands. Although Top Tier brands have not demonstrated that they contain a lower sulfur content than other brands, their detergent additive package makes them a preferred choice when choosing a brand of gasoline for your vehicle. A complete list of Top Tier Brands can be found in Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-047H (in Canada, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04- 022E) or by accessing the website www.toptiergas.com.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

·
Super Moderator
21,722 Posts
MyBlackAcadia said:
I'm not so much concerned about the residue build up. Reason why I keep mentioning that is, I figure if there is build up. There's got to be unwanted smoke coming out of my tail pipes.
There's not supposed to be any smoke coming from a well-running engine. In some states, you can get stopped and ticketed for driving a vehicle that emits too much smoke!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 SLT, and have noticed it is omitting a blue and black smoke upon start up after sitting overnight (the longer it sits the worse it gets). This vehicle has 10,000km (6,000 miles) on it. When I took it to the dealer they told me it was "normal" and that there was oil in the air filter and throttle body. Now the GM DSM is saying it is normal with the vehicle and that the smoke on start up is caused by the direct injection fuel system/Catalytic convertor cold reaction, that this is a normal condition and no repair is necessary or to be attempted. To my knowledge this is not normal?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
No smoke or odor at start-up

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm noticing carbon building up quickly on the exhaust tips, but I've been thinking it's maybe something to do with the DI engine?

I would guess the brief black smoke on start would be due to the engine running really rich to start in the cold then it leans out after it starts. My 08 Mercedes will also occasionally blow a puff of blue smoke on start up, but I have narrowed that down to starts after it is started and only run for a short period of time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
maybeacadia said:
I'm noticing carbon building up quickly on the exhaust tips, but I've been thinking it's maybe something to do with the DI engine?

I would guess the brief black smoke on start would be due to the engine running really rich to start in the cold then it leans out after it starts. My 08 Mercedes will also occasionally blow a puff of blue smoke on start up, but I have narrowed that down to starts after it is started and only run for a short period of time.
Carbon builds up quickly on the exhaust tips of the non-di engines as well. Both our '08s have to be constantly cleaned (daily) to keep the carbon build up off. I have noticed it on "some" other vehicles, but not all brands. Acura MDXs seem to show the same issue.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I too, have some carbon build up which is normal to accumulate on exhaust tips. Just clean it every so often. As far as emitting black smoke at start up, I have not seen on ours. If blue smoke, I might be concerned and take to dealer to have checked out. IMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 2012 Acadia SLE-2. I too get black smoke and carbon build up on start. I have also been told that this is a "normal" condition. Oddly this is the only car I have ever owned from GM that does this. Is it a common issue with this 3.6 engine? I've had the 4.2 (Trailblazer) and the 3.8 (Grand Prix), and neither displayed this issue.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
lots of us get it.
nature of the beast...
DI.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts