GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the highway on-ramp today, a little sluggish to go > I just gunned it. Looking back hoping that I didn't cause an accident, I noticed a cloud of smoke.
This is the 2nd or 3rd time this happened. Hope it is not something serious.
Don't ya just love that tranny?!?! :poke:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
That doesn't seem normal to me. I did not like the tranny at first, but since I had the May 8th update, I love the way it responds. See this link for more info about the update. At the bottom of that link you will find another link that has comments from many people about the update.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3758.0

I would take it in and have that smoke thing checked out. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Brick,
From what you are describing, it sounds like an engine management vs a transmission issue. A quick way to check this is to run your finger or a paper towel inside the tailpipe & see if it is black (soot) when you look at it. If it is, then the vehicle is running way rich- you should also notice very poor fuel economy. This is something the dealer needs to fix via programming or component replacement. I had a company car in the mid-80's that was notorious for doing this- it got so bad the whole side of the lower rear bumper would be covered in black soot.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Brick,
From what you are describing, it sounds like an engine management vs a transmission issue. A quick way to check this is to run your finger or a paper towel inside the tailpipe & see if it is black (soot) when you look at it. If it is, then the vehicle is running way rich- you should also notice very poor fuel economy. This is something the dealer needs to fix via programming or component replacement. I had a company car in the mid-80's that was notorious for doing this- it got so bad the whole side of the lower rear bumper would be covered in black soot.
Blue is right, sounds like an injection problem. Do you do all city driving?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Jeff95TA said:
What color is the smoke?
Yeah, this is important.

Black smoke - engine likely running too rich and/or carbon build-up. May need an Italian Tune-Up every once in awhile (getting it out a driving it hard to blow all the excess carbon out of it ;D ) or a ECM check-up.

Blue smoke - not good, engine is burning oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Black smoke belching out of the tailpipe during acceleration.....sounds like you have a diesel. It may be a collectors item...or a secret prototype!!!! ;D ;D

I noticed the same think during the first 500km (300miles), but then it went away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not get a chance to look at it today. I gassed up at a different station and going to try the same test tomorrow.

Will I be able to tell if it's blue or black from where I'm sitting?
I'm going to do the swipe test after to see if I have black soot.
Should I be smelling burnt oil, or something else?
Could it have been some condensation in the pipes that just blew out?
I drive mix 50/50 with a lot of stop and go in the city.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
BrickLover,

Will I be able to tell if it's blue or black from where I'm sitting?
If the sun shines on the smoke it will be easy to see the color.

Should I be smelling burnt oil, or something else?
You shouldn't, but if you do, let is know.

Could it have been some condensation in the pipes that just blew out?
Yes, it could, and that would be OK. It would really be steam, and it will be white rather than black or blue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK no smoke coming out today, but black soot inside tailpipes....

does not have a burnt oil smell, but one that I am not familiar with.
should i be concerned at this point?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Take it to a GMC service dept......something is wrong..............

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
Gotta remember 'white' smoke! That comes from trying to burn antifreeze/water and implies a head gasket problem. It doesn't smell very pleasant either.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
20,800 miles on the wifes and it has greasy black residue in the pipes. That's all city driving at no more than 45 mph.
Somewhere I thought I saw a thread that said a little smut was normal. Anyone going in for maintenance soon might ask the mechanic just how much is normal. I haven't noticed any black smoke.

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
Murdock said:
.... a thread that said a little smut was normal. ....
??? can we say that here?? ::)

·
Registered
359 Posts
road-e said:
Mine does the same thing
Ditto. Same circumstances as the OP. Head onto an on-ramp (the ones where you're at a stoplight which is an underpass and you make a 'rightie' and head up the ramp to get up onto the grade-level highway), so you "give-er" after rolling out a couple hundred feet so as to catch up to the vehicle ahead or to get up to speed to merge onto the highway. Only when the tranny kicks down and the engine spools up - you look back into you rear view mirror to see how much distance you've put between you and the vehicle in behind only to be surprised by a plume of black smoke. :eek: ???

This is unburned fuel. As some of the others mention, they think the engine is running rich. I can assure you the engine in my Outlook is not running rich. I only have 10,000KM on it and it's running like a top, doesn't have *any* raw fuel smell under any circumstances. However - I've had this smoke under heavy acceleration only a few times as mostly I don't really have to kick-down the gas pedal so much.

Similar happens when you really tromp on a car with a manual transmission and you're dropping the clutch in. A combination of clutch lining material and some smoke from the engine as you really hammer the gas pedal is likely to cause some unburned fuel to get through. Under normal acceleration this doesn't occur. Just under very heavy acceleration.

When I observed this in my Outlook, I figured it to be a result of the Direct-Injection design. The engine produced great power the entire time, no issues, no hesitation, no nothing, just some smoke after really hitting the gas pedal and the tranny kicks down. A typical on ramp run-up scenario is a decent location to replicate this. Vehicle seems fine in every other respect.

Regards,
/BTV

·
Registered
540 Posts
When I had my Acadia at the dealer a few weeks ago I made a complaint about the black soot build up on the exhaust tips and they said it was normal. I say it is running rich. I say there will be a GM TSB in the future to confirm or deny this condition if more people complain.

Bobby

·
Super Moderator
21,792 Posts
I have 4 vehicles with internal combustion engines. The Acadia is the only one with any soot build-up at the exaust end. Also, the chrome exhast tips are the only ones that ever get wiped out during a thorough vehicle cleaning. Why people insist that it is normal to have carbon spewed from the exhaust of an efficiently-running engine is beyond comprehension! :confused:

I get (on average) 19-20 mpg with the Acadia. Just think what it would be like if the computer programmers would just tweak their code a bit to keep the carbon build-up from happening. I bet that what is going on at the exhaust tip can't be good for the engine from the valve train, through the catalytic converters, to the rear of the exhaust system. It certainly doesn't do the environment any good!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts