GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 SLT2 has about 5k miles on it. Last week I took a load of demolition material to the landfill. We recently had light rain off and on and the "trail" from the paved road to the dump area was muddy and soupy. I babied the truck through the mud so as not to splash the sides too bad and successfully completed my task of unloading. I would guess I drove about 1/4 mile through the mud. Commercial trash collectors also traveled this trail.

On the way home, about 10 miles, I began smelling what I thought was electrical in the cabin. When I got home I could easily detect the smell coming from the left front wheelwell area. After that episode, I noticed the smell every local trip. So I took the truck into the dealer. They checked it and said the brake pads were saturated with the smelly liquid from the mud at the landfill. I have to admit it is smelling less now, but it's still there.

The dealer said he would give me a "one time" brake pad change for free (pads are backordered). I thought that was pretty fair. He told me this is a very unusual situation and he hadn't heard of it before.

In all fairness, and to not start concerns of forum members about brakes, the paved road was not wet, nor was it raining and I wonder if indeed the garbage "soup" didn't get into the pads and got "cooked in" because there was no fresh water to wash it off?

Just thought I'd post this and see if there were any comments from the technical members.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I wonder if a good car wash, with an undercarriage rinse, would have done the trick. It does sound a little fishy (sorry no pun intended) that the soup would soak into the pads, not likely. But hey, the proof will be if the new pads cure the smell problem.

Good luck, & let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dealer changed the pads. No smell. You may be right tm59, a good underbody spray might have done it. Service guy said pads do contain fibers, but I think they just wanted to win my service and and he said they don't have an underbody spray system. I'll bet they have a power washer or two laying around though.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Glad to hear pad change cleared the air. I believe the pads on the Acadia are "ceramic" type pads and contain ceramic fibers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts