GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:readthread:[/color]:angryfire: :angryfire:I am truly disgusted with this $52,000 2012 Acadia Denali I have spent too much time and money on this problem, i have changed fuel pressure sensor in the tank, gas cap 3x , some other sensor in the tank which i had to drop the tank 2x , another small pressure valve under the hood, a cracked hard line from the tank to the engine the car was in the shop for almost 6 SIX WEEKS. the check engine light was on and off all this time ..now its back in the shop still with a strong SMELL OF GAS this time no check engine light. I AM FED UP WITH THIS POS! Does anyone else have this problem ? I brought this truck in to GMC 2x while it was under warrantee and of course they found nothing

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
:search: the forum for "gas smell" and read what others have gone through. Is this an AWD car? Could you be smelling gear oil??

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
How long have you been having this "smell?"

Who have you been taking the Acadia to that has been recommending these actions which have been costing you money? Obviously it is not the dealer since they have found nothing. What was their justification as to how a pressure sensor in the tank could cause an odor in the cabin? Three (3) gas caps. Were the first two defective? How was that determined.

George

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
"... i have changed fuel pressure sensor in the tank, gas cap 3x , some other sensor in the tank which i had to drop the tank 2x , another small pressure valve under the hood, a cracked hard line from the tank to the engine the car was in the shop for almost 6 SIX WEEKS. the check engine light was on and off all this time ..."

Anyone else smell the :bs: ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
thanks for the replies yes awd car and i have been pulling the codes and the parts were suggested by the auto parts store who pulled codes...Auto Zone . after that the 1st tanksensor and caps i brought it to local mechanic

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got my 2012 about 3 years ago now. The first year I had it, it was fine, but for the past two years I've gotten whiffs of gas in the cabin when the windows are closed all the way.

I've taken it to the mechanics each time and they can't find anything wrong........no leaks, no broken or cracked hoses, no codes........no nothing.

The fuel pump went out last summer and that was replaced. The purge solenoid went out last October, and that was replaced. It has had 3 new gas caps as well.

I still get the smell once in a while. And yes, it's happened in heavy traffic, and it's also happened with no other vehicles anywhere near me....nor was I near any gas stations.

These smells are random and happen at different times, on different roads, in different conditions.

I'm starting to think it's just a design flaw.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Maybe a leak in the Evap Canister under the vehicle? Maybe check the tubes and connections to the canister to make sure one isn't loose or damaged?
Check the same to the purge solenoid as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe a leak in the Evap Canister under the vehicle? Maybe check the tubes and connections to the canister to make sure one isn't loose or damaged?
Check the same to the purge solenoid as well.
I've had three different mechanics look at this, and they all claim they don't find any problems with any of the EVAP assembly. I've personally changed the solenoid myself. I can't get to the other stuff since you have to drop the gas tank to get to them, but the mechanics claim there isn't anything wrong.

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
I've had three different mechanics look at this, and they all claim they don't find any problems with any of the EVAP assembly. I've personally changed the solenoid myself. I can't get to the other stuff since you have to drop the gas tank to get to them, but the mechanics claim there isn't anything wrong.
Has the mechanics' "look at this" just been a visual inspection, or has someone used a detector to 'sniff' the vehicle's fuel system from the tank to injectors in attempt to find the problem?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yeah. . difficult to get to some of the Evap system. Wouldn't hurt to check connections, wiggle and use a small hand mirror and LED flashlight to check for cracks on tubes or connectors?
Odd that it's noticed most with about 1/2 tank of fuel except that would be when tank is half full of air and also sloshing around more. Maybe that's a clue?

·
Super Moderator
19,291 Posts
You could rent, or buy your own VOC detector. When you smell the gasoline, get out and sniff around the vehicle with it to find out from where the fumes emanate. You could get vapors to the probe from many inaccessible places with a long enough hose attached to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
According to the mechanics, none of their gizmo's they used to detect gas leaks of all kinds had any readings that anything was leaking.

I have also got out and "sniffed" the vehicle when it did this as I was coming home one day and was in the parking lot. I did not smell anything outside the vehicle, and did not see any leaks, and the gas cap was on tight.

So....I dunno. I'd take it to the GM dealership, but they charge way too much.

·
Registered
834 Posts
According to the mechanics, none of their gizmo's they used to detect gas leaks of all kinds had any readings that anything was leaking.

I have also got out and "sniffed" the vehicle when it did this as I was coming home one day and was in the parking lot. I did not smell anything outside the vehicle, and did not see any leaks, and the gas cap was on tight.

So....I dunno. I'd take it to the GM dealership, but they charge way too much.
Or. . . run the fuel down near empty and drop the gas tank.
Last resort . .. but may reveal something.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Or. . . run the fuel down near empty and drop the gas tank.
Last resort . .. but may reveal something.
I would agree. Sounds like they have a fuel smell inside the vehicle but not outside. Makes me think some sort of issue with the top of the fuel tank, and the tank needs to be dropped.

Since it is an 8 year old vehicle, I would also not rule out the possibility of some rust holes in the floor pan allowing fumes to enter into the cabin.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts