GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back tilts forward but the seat bottom won't come up so it just won't move further at that point. Anyone else run into this?  Is there a way to manually get the bottom up?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Re: Smartslide seat - doesn't work at 500 mi

You sure you are using the right lever?

Try pulling it up? Or check to make sure the tracks are free so the seat slide forward allowing the seat to fold correctly. I put an extra mat in the back seat and was having trouble with the seat folding and found that it was due to the track being blocked.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yep, I have the right lever and the tracks and everything are clear. It just gets to the point in the process where the seat bottom should come up and it seems like the seat bottom doesn't release. I think there's some sort of trigger mechanism in the bottom that unlocks at a certain point in the travel that seems not to be actuating.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Can you help it along? Get in the third row and give er a little push while tripping the lever?

·
Registered
730 Posts

what i usually do is pushing the lever downwards a little bit and as soon as the backrest moves forward, i simultaneously push somewhere around the headrest area to help it move forward.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dan-M said:
Can you help it along? Get in the third row and give er a little push while tripping the lever?
Unfortunately it comes to a complete impass when it gets to a point in the process where the seat bottom would normally releas and start to come up. It seems like something in the mechanism is broken or jammed because the bottom will just not release. Its beyon coaxing I'm afraid and will need a dealer visit.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Mine had the same problem at first. I helped it along for a few times and then released it several times and now it works fine. Must be something that needs to be "broken in".

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell ,it is simply broken at this point. It can not be convinced to get past the point where the seat bottom should start to raise up. Its not a matter of helping it, as it won't go past that point no matter how hard I push. There is clearly some sort of release for the seat bottom that needs to be triggered in the cycle and it is locked solid. Unfortunately, I don't have much time for a dealer vist so it will likely need to wait until I have other reason for a service stop. What a drag with only 800 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

WOW!! De ja vu!!

I had the same thing happento me today. Day out with the fam,my parents and mom-in-law. Truck looad up with 5 and a baby.Seats worked flawless all day. Pull up my parents driveway and my momand mom-in-law are trapped inthe back seat. The baby seat blocks the other smart slide. I undid the baby seat and got them out.

I was pissed that the seat wasn't working after my service call for te tranny again on Friday, fight with my wife in the AM and traffic in general. I was determined tofix it.I did the sameyou did and checked for blockages. Nothing. It would start the process and slide but when the bottom should pop up it doesn't. There is in fact a mechanism that makes this happen. mine was not attached. It is just a cable that has a metal clasp at the end.

Here is what I did....

1 - lock the seat back in place.
2 - Pull the material handle on the inoperable seat so the seat back folds down.
3 - Lay down, stomach down, on the seat back with you head facing the third row.
4 - You will now want to look under that seat towards the rear corner. There will be a cable that is hanging down and should be anchored into a little metal bracket. It is not really held in by anything nor is it covered by a plastic piece. What it actually looks like is a braided metal cable you find on a bicycles brake system.
5 - Once you found the disconnected cable their will be a swiveltypetipat the end. Put it in themetalbraketand turn it. It willlock and the seat willbe operable again.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Excellent, thank you, I figured it was something like that as it really seems like some mechanism just wasn't releasing. Unfortunately the Acadia is loaded up at the moment for a 4 day camping trip so I won't get to it until the 4th. I'll keep you posted on how it works.

·
Registered
107 Posts

NY_Joe said:
WOW!! De ja vu!!

I had the same thing happento me today. Day out with the fam,my parents and mom-in-law. Truck looad up with 5 and a baby.Seats worked flawless all day. Pull up my parents driveway and my momand mom-in-law are trapped inthe back seat. The baby seat blocks the other smart slide. I undid the baby seat and got them out.

I was pissed that the seat wasn't working after my service call for te tranny again on Friday, fight with my wife in the AM and traffic in general. I was determined tofix it.I did the sameyou did and checked for blockages. Nothing. It would start the process and slide but when the bottom should pop up it doesn't. There is in fact a mechanism that makes this happen. mine was not attached. It is just a cable that has a metal clasp at the end.

Here is what I did....

1 - lock the seat back in place.
2 - Pull the material handle on the inoperable seat so the seat back folds down.
3 - Lay down, stomach down, on the seat back with you head facing the third row.
4 - You will now want to look under that seat towards the rear corner. There will be a cable that is hanging down and should be anchored into a little metal bracket. It is not really held in by anything nor is it covered by a plastic piece. What it actually looks like is a braided metal cable you find on a bicycles brake system.
5 - Once you found the disconnected cable their will be a swiveltypetipat the end. Put it in themetalbraketand turn it. It willlock and the seat willbe operable again.

Hope it helps.
You must have bee really determined because I would have given up by then. How the heck did you figure it out?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

NY-Joe, You are clearly THE MAN! I returned from my trip today and investigated the cable under the seat and sure enough it had popped out of its retainer. Pushed it back in and I'm back in business. I know at the time it stopped working my 7 yr old daughter was in the 3rd row behind it so I'm pretty sure that some little feet flapping around under there probably knocked it out. We had a talk... :) but I'll know where to look if it should happen again. Many thanks!! Gotta love this forum. I'm glad I didn't try to just push a little harder and force something.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

rae0568 said:
You must have bee really determined because I would have given up by then. How the heck did you figure it out?
Determined...that's a good word.More like pissed off at the last 2 days events and this was the icing on the cake.

I initially thought somehting was stuck in the track. Like the top to my sons bottle or oneofhis backyardigan figures. When I didn't see anything I figured out my mom and mom inlaw were back there. Then I thought lipstick in the track or something. The only way I could see back there is if I folded the seat back down b/c it wouldn't move anymore.

Once I looked underneath andfound nothing I noticed all the cables. I figured it couldn't be somehting this dumb. Sure enough, it was. The cables was just dangling there. I had nothingto lose putting it back into what looked like any openslot.

I'll accept whatever praise though. ;D :thumb:

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

GerryL said:
NY-Joe, You are clearly THE MAN! I returned from my trip today and investigated the cable under the seat and sure enough it had popped out of its retainer. Pushed it back in and I'm back in business. I know at the time it stopped working my 7 yr old daughter was in the 3rd row behind it so I'm pretty sure that some little feet flapping around under there probably knocked it out. We had a talk... :) but I'll know where to look if it should happen again. Many thanks!! Gotta love this forum. I'm glad I didn't try to just push a little harder and force something.
Glad to hear it was the simple fix mine was.

Don't be too hard on her. It's not her fault,it's GM's design flaw.

Glad tohelp.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

NY_Joe said:
Don't be too hard on her. It's not her fault,it's GM's design flaw.

Glad tohelp.
No I wasn't, I was just joking, its hard to keep a 7 yr old from wiggling and certainly GM should know that kids are the most likely to be back there. I agree, engineering miss on their part, they need to use more kids in the development process...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts