GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter how long I let battery charge or jump starting I cant ever get more then a super slow crank.
Could this be bad starter? I installed a new battery, what should I look for? Maybe pull off starter and have it tested? Any help will be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
The description leads to belief the starter is going bad. There are ways to test the starter motor while it's in the car and see if it's drawing too much amperage - an indicator that's it's wearing out. Special equipment is needed to do that. Haven't seen any condition where one should expect a fault code from a bad starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks. I've talked myself into pulling starter and taking to auto store for testing at least to eliminate it if nothing else

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Other options are a bad ground or connection from the battery to the starter, bad battery cell and the battery is not fully charging.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Whenever I’ve experienced slow cranking in every vehicle I’ve ever owned (30+ years now), it’s always been the battery. In fact, in all these years, and every vehicle driven at least 222,222 miles, I’ve only replaced one starter motor ... in my ‘97 Taurus ... at 205,800 miles ... and that was only after tapping it with a hammer a few times to convince myself I was actually going to have to replace a starter motor!

So I would be thinking battery - not charged fully, or a cabling or connection issue. Can you test the battery in another vehicle? Have you verified clean and tight connections? Is this a side or top terminal connection battery? The tops are prone to having bad connections needing cleaning (even if they look clean). Also make sure you’ve installed the proper size battery for the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Colt Hero, have you ever looked inside an Acadia battery compartment? Here's what that compartment looks like in the Lambda-platform Acadia:

Op stated a new battery was installed. There's nothing to suggest the OP made any modification from the original configuration. With a new battery, the starter still turns the engine over slowly.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looks like a standard car battery to me - only surprise there is it’s a top-terminal battery instead of the usual GM side-terminal ones (which are less prone to contamination).

And I’m sure there are cases where new batteries can sit on store shelves long enough that they need a charge from the vehicle’s charging system to get back to full charge.

Maybe his charging system is undercharging the battery? Has that been ruled out?

I’m not saying it’s impossible for it to be the starter, but I would say it’s highly unlikely. I’ve had this same thing happen to me countless times over the years, and if it wasn’t a bad or dirty terminal on a top terminal battery, it was the battery itself, and replacing with a good/fully-charged battery fixed it every time (without replacing a single starter ... except the one time where the starter didn’t turn at all, but tapping it made it work).

That said, check the terminals at the starter to see what it’s getting. If that’s good, then maybe try lightly tapping the starter motor body as someone is cranking the engine to see if that affects the cranking time in any way. I’ve never done this because every starter motor I’ve ever had either worked, or it didn’t ... never a degree of working, but maybe it’s possible...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Colt Hero, have you ever looked inside an Acadia battery compartment? Here's what that compartment looks like in the Lambda-platform Acadia:
View attachment 8632

Op stated a new battery was installed. There's nothing to suggest the OP made any modification from the original configuration. With a new battery, the starter still turns the engine over slowly.
The op never did state "With a new battery, the starter still turns the engine over slowly." It is not clear to me that he ever did install a new battery. This sentence "I installed a new battery, what should I look for? " may imply a new battery. However, if he did install a new battery he should be looking at how fast the starter turns. Anybody would know that. Maybe he did install a new battery, but it is not clear to me that he did so. I think that he just forgot to put an "if" in front of his sentence.

George

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
.... Maybe he did install a new battery, but it is not clear to me that he did so. I think that he just forgot to put an "if" in front of his sentence.
Maybe it should have read, "I installed a new battery, what else should I look for?"

Time to wait for the OP to return. Who has the popcorn? LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would timing be an issue? I had this lovely motor lock up at 122,000 due to oil pump failure. Had a motor put in with 43,000 on it and from the very first start it is slow to crank. Before the replacement it would start instantly. Same starter and this motor doesn't run as good at speed as the old one did. Battery tested, alternator working. just very slow crank. Any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts