GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Fellow Acadia enthusiasts! I recently picked up a 2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1 with about 140k on the odometer. I bought it needing work. My issue is a hard start (car turning over slowly) and a knocking/ticking sound once the car finally starts. I originally thought it was a bad power steering pump due to the owner saying the car lost power steering and stalled prior to him having it towed to a shop. They diagnosed it as needing a new Engine. I pulled the serpentine belt off last night to confirm my suspicions and fired it up. Unfortunately the knocking sound persisted. I then did some research and discovered that the timing chains on these cars like to stretch due to insufficient lubrication. I was going to tear the motor apart to inspect the chains but I highly doubt that's what's causing my issue due to those not causing my slow crank issue and not having a check engine light. I personally think it spun a rod bearing and that's what's causing the slow crank and knocking/Rattling sound. I just thought I'd ask for some Acadia experts thoughts on this issue of mine! TIA:)

·
Super Moderator
19,649 Posts
If you had the engine running enough to hear a knock, you should have had enough time to carefully listen around the engine and figure out where it was making the noise. Wind it up to about 6000 rpm and see what comes flying out from under the hood! LOL

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to start it up again today and listen around. I'm also going to take a video of it running. I'm not quite ready to send something to space! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the verdict. I pulled the valve covers off on Thursday. I discovered that the front timing chain had a decent bit of slop in it!! As of now I'm 90% sure this was what caused my knocking issue. I ordered a cloyes timing kit an AC delco water pump and a set of Fel-pro gaskets. I'm going to start the timing job next Friday and hopefully have the car up and running on Sunday!!

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(UPDATE 6/7/20)
I Successfully Installed my Cloyes Timing chain kit yesterday. I decided to Turn the motor by hand just to make sure I wasn't binding up on anything. every 90 degrees or so I would hear a loud clicking noise. I did some inspecting and discovered that it was the front cam phaser. I had my dad come and turn the motor while I watched. The cam would skip everytime the phaser would click. 30 minutes on Google told me that this was a common symptom of a bad phaser. I also found out that a loud knocking sound accompanies a bad/failing cam phaser. I placed an order for (4) Acdelco cam phasers and thrust washers from Rockauto. It's set to Arrive on Friday. Next weekend I'll undo the chains and throw on the new phasers/washer. Then it'll be time for Re-Assembly. Hoping to have it running next sunday. I'll update this post again with the Results!!! :D

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(UPDATE #2- 6/15/20)
Another snag occurs. Yesterday I was putting the VVT solenoids in and I noticed something that looked like a crack in the Timing Cover!! Sadly I had to undo everything and pop the timing cover off to confirm my suspicions. The verdict was the Idler sprocket Bolt heads pushing against the cover and cracking it. They stuck out just enough that they pushed against the timing Cover causing it to crack when I was Torquing down the cover. I ordered a new timing cover off of Ebay that's supposed to arrive at the end of week. Today I Disassembled the timing system for what felt like the 100th time. I discovered why the bolt heads were sticking out. I installed the idler sprockets wrong! The cloyes idler sprockets have writing on them to tell you which bank they go on. For some reason they are labeled in such a way that you can get them backwards. I flipped them around and now the bolts fit as they should. This is such a crappy thing to have gone wrong! But I am glad that the cover cracked notifying me of the mix-up. Otherwise the sprockets would've sheared off! I'll Update this post again once I get the car running!!

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
(FINAL UPDATE 6-25-20)
I went all In and worked non stop on Monday and Tuesday and Got it 100% Re-assembled! Yesterday evening I Fired it up for the First time. The verdict was quite soul crushing. It was having a hard time turning over and when it finally did start it was making the same sounds it was making pre timing chain replacement. After crying a river I got on Google and did some research on the sound. Sadly Im 99% sure that I have a Spun rod bearing. I've watched several different videos of vehicles with a spun rod bearing and the sound the Acadia is making matches that sound "squeaky screeching". Now I'm trying to decide what my next move is. Don't know if I want to rebuild the motor or replace it was a remanufactured or used unit. It's pretty disappointing since I have all of that time in it for nothing. Oh well, I look at it as getting to know the vehicle better! :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Wow. . what a learning process. At least you now have some experience and now to decide where to get and engine. Should be lots of sources. . . the question is. . . would a replacement have timing chain or other issues.
You have a great attitude though, after going through all this ! (y)

·
Registered
2011 GMC Acadia SLT-1
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. . what a learning process. At least you now have some experience and now to decide where to get and engine. Should be lots of sources. . . the question is. . . would a replacement have timing chain or other issues.
You have a great attitude though, after going through all this ! (y)
I've Decided to rebuild the motor. I found a Kit online that has almost everything I'll need. There's a machine shop local to me that does very good work. I'm going to task them with machining the crank and going over the Heads. I'm gonna pull the oil pan this weekend to confirm my suspicions of a spun bearing. I was expecting the chain replacement to not fix the issue. I did buy the vehicle needing a Motor After all!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts