GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. Was curious what all of you Acadia enthusiasts might think of this. I love the Acadia and plan on buying one for myself very soon. I like all the features and body styling, plus its roomy interior and the second row captain's chairs. I had wondered though, if instead of normal rear car doors, the Acadia had sliding rear doors, like the ones you find on minivans. It would have its advantages, and it might look really cool on the car. Was wondering if anyone else had thought about this, and what your opinions, thoughts, feedback on this might be, good or bad. I look forward to what everyone has to say about this.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, I had thought this very thing. We wanted the functionality of a minivan without having the van.

However, after having the car, the doors are not a problem at all. They surprisingly, for as large as they are open in a rather small space. I can open the door all the way in the garage and not hit the other car (which is something I cannot do with the other car). Since the door is rectanular instead of having the curve for the wheel in it like many rear doors, I think it helps to open the space more without taking up the room.

With as next gen as the Acadia is, it would not have surprised me to have gull-wing doors on it. That would have been way cool.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Personally, I think if it had sliding rear doors, it might as well just be a minivan. I've already had my b/f accuse me of buying a minivan when I came home with it. Sliding rear doors would have really put the icing on that cake.

I prefer my Acadia the way it is. :) I think it's plenty roomy enough to get in and out of.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My mind refuse to visualize the Acadia with a sliding door. :-\
I do not think it will be appealing.

·
Registered
362 Posts
skyhawk said:
the Acadia had sliding rear doors, like the ones you find on minivans.
Oh, hell no! :angryfire:

·
Registered
389 Posts
It would have its advantages, and it might look really cool on the car.
Minivans have their advantages...and I don't think there is anything cool about them. That's the advantage the Acadia has over minivans...the cool factor.

We measured how much the doors swing open compared to my Accord and they were within and inch or two. The doors are deceptively small for how large they look. the shape really helps with that.

Now, granted, we will be having another baby and there is something rather appealing about being able to push a button on a key fob to open the sliding side doors of a van to lift a baby car seat in and out very easily. HOWEVER, I have had two babies in my Accord and have opened and closed the doors for 6 years. I can do it again with the next baby!!

All for the "Cool" factor!

·
Registered
275 Posts
skyhawk said:
Hello to all. Was curious what all of you Acadia enthusiasts might think of this. I love the Acadia and plan on buying one for myself very soon. I like all the features and body styling, plus its roomy interior and the second row captain's chairs. I had wondered though, if instead of normal rear car doors, the Acadia had sliding rear doors, like the ones you find on minivans. It would have its advantages, and it might look really cool on the car. Was wondering if anyone else had thought about this, and what your opinions, thoughts, feedback on this might be, good or bad. I look forward to what everyone has to say about this.
Minivans have sliding doors. Crossovers don't. If you want a crossover; Acadia. Minivan; '08 Grand Caravan.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
No No No No No No No No No No No No NO

NO!!!

Sliding doors suck. Period.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Mama2girls said:
It would have its advantages, and it might look really cool on the car.
Minivans have their advantages...and I don't think there is anything cool about them. That's the advantage the Acadia has over minivans...the cool factor.

We measured how much the doors swing open compared to my Accord and they were within and inch or two. The doors are deceptively small for how large they look. the shape really helps with that.

Now, granted, we will be having another baby and there is something rather appealing about being able to push a button on a key fob to open the sliding side doors of a van to lift a baby car seat in and out very easily. HOWEVER, I have had two babies in my Accord and have opened and closed the doors for 6 years. I can do it again with the next baby!!

All for the "Cool" factor!
You've had two babies in your Accord and you're going to do it again next time? Tell your husband you want to go to the hospital next time. Lol.[/color]

·
Registered
389 Posts
C-sections are hard in a sedan, I will give you that. A minivan would be a lot better! :thumb:

·
Registered
956 Posts
You had C sections with your two girls and you want more kids? If men were having the babies and we had to go through what women do in childbirth, I believe mankind would become extinct!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mama2girls said:
Now, granted, we will be having another baby and there is something rather appealing about being able to push a button on a key fob to open the sliding side doors of a van to lift a baby car seat in and out very easily.
There's got to be a way to rig baby seats in the cargo area of an Acadia...

Just thinking out loud here.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
jfencl said:
Mama2girls said:
Now, granted, we will be having another baby and there is something rather appealing about being able to push a button on a key fob to open the sliding side doors of a van to lift a baby car seat in and out very easily.

Just so I get this straight... you're thinking that you would store your babies in the cargo area of the Acadia?! :crazy: I guess maybe that'd work if an adult were back there to tend to them and keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The platform and structure that lends itself to the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave/Traverse was originally planned to also underpin minivans, and is a big reason for the size and general overhangs and such of the crossovers. So, before GM decided to finally just get out of the minivan business, they would have been quite similar to what you see now in a lot of ways, but with sliding doors and such.

Still, they realized it was a limited market that always had a stigma no matter what, and if they could embody all that was good about a minivan--7/8 roomy seats AND cargo room, drives like a high end car, etc.--and match it with a more SUV look and operation outside, they'd have a winning combo. Well, they did, and with the current sustained sales, you can see it succeeded VERY well.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know I'm just repeating in different words what others have already said but......NO sliding doors.

It's the fact that the Acadia has swing-out doors that make it a CUV. If it had sliding doors, it WOULD be a minivan. :tard:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Web Raven said:
jfencl said:
Mama2girls said:

Just so I get this straight... you're thinking that you would store your babies in the cargo area of the Acadia?! :crazy: I guess maybe that'd work if an adult were back there to tend to them and keep an eye on them.
I'd advise putting holes in the boxes this time 'round. :rofl:

·
Registered
148 Posts
O gee, I was thinking of something like this. I was thinking, "Boy, wouldn't it be cool if the Acadia had a v8, was on a truck chassis, and had a Yukon front end." THAT WOULD BE MEGA SWEET! yes!

·
Registered
251 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
O gee, I was thinking of something like this. I was thinking, "Boy, wouldn't it be cool if the Acadia had a v8, was on a truck chassis, and had a Yukon front end." THAT WOULD BE MEGA SWEET! yes!
LOL that would also be.........a Yukon!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts